Jeans in Sette Mari & Lounges - What do you think?

[quote name='LindaM']Me too! That is an interesting observation about "that generation" expecting things to change for them. I'm glad you said the END of the baby boomers. Actually, we are looked down upon by the following generation!

We expected Regent passengers to be more well dressed, to go along with being able to afford this type of cruise. Where I live, people with money look like people with money, for the most part. [/quote]

Well, where I live and do business, there are many extremely wealthy people (I certainly do not count myself in that description!), and for the most part, they dress in board shorts and t-shirts. For a real dress up night at the five star St. Regis down the street from our home, a man's outfit generally consists of linen shorts, nice sandals and silk aloha shirts. I would never dress this way at night on Regent, but it is acceptable dress at very high end properties here in the Aloha State . . .

[quote name='HanaleiSailor']Well, where I live and do business, there are many extremely wealthy people (I certainly do not count myself in that description!), and for the most part, they dress in board shorts and t-shirts. For a real dress up night at the five star St. Regis down the street from our home, a man's outfit generally consists of linen shorts, nice sandals and silk aloha shirts. I would never dress this way at night on Regent, but it is acceptable dress at very high end properties here in the Aloha State . . .[/quote]

I love how people dress in the Aloha State. Even the Governor wears an Aloha shirt and a lei.

• 2 months later...
Sorry to see this thread pop up again but am glad to read that the dress code is being followed. I was reading a country club dress code for golfers today ......... no shorts, no denim. Perhaps Regent should substitute the word "denim" for "jeans" ......... on the other hand, someone would try to find a way to question that too.

Enjoy your cruise ladymadeline:)

TC2 and others,
Just off of Voyager last Sunday. On this cruise I saw the most relaxed enforcement of the dress code of all of our cruises. People came into the Ob lounge wearing shorts, grabbed some snacks and left. One man consistently wore a black tee shirt (no collar) sometimes with suspenders. Even ladies wore tee shirts to dinner. I wondered if sometime after I boarded the ship the dress code changed? I even saw jeans in the Ob lounge.

Let's keep reminding people of the dress code on Regent. Allowing slobs into the Observation Lounge is, IMO, disgusting! If you want to dress in that manner, suggest you try another cruise line:eek: When we are on board Regent, we are there for vacation -- I am relaxed, mellow and enjoying everything about the experience. However, if I see jeans or shorts in the Observation Lounge after 6:00 p.m., the Head Bartender will hear about it. If people wearing this sort of attire are not asked to leave the next night, I will be in the General Managers office. While I may be mild mannered, polite and easy going on board, I am a "Leo" and my claws will come out and I will not let go of the issue (very similar to my "Travelcat2" persona). I recall a post where someone was upset that a person in the Coffee Connection had their shoes off and their feet on the table. They did not report it or say anything. All of us are paying good money for the Regent experience. If something is wrong, we need to speak up........ whether it is about the food, the service, dress code, etc. If you do not speak up, you will have wasted your money on an experience that was less than it should have been! It is important, however, not to be rude or disrespectful to the staff/management onboard. Politely explain the situation and it will be handled!

I think Jeans if dressed up well are ok. Not with tennis/athletic shoes, no holes, no shorts - although many wore them on the PG at night - linen walking shorts mostly and Hawaiian Shirts for men.;
I don't mind dressing for dinner but the luggage part is a pain now. So now on a 10 day cruise you take 10 outfits for night and 10 for day - and while you can mix and match you are still taking so much wardrobe in a limited space.

We do an annual Princess Cruise and we dress for dinner most nights but they are late in port 3 of 7 nights and we often skip the dress up by eating on shore; One of the reasons we take that cruise every year. It's a vacation - not a dress up party. Relaxed, casual and fun.

I shouldn't offed anyone because you can do what you want and I will do it my way. It's my vacation too.

As long as its before 6 pm, I do not have an issue at all :)

After 6pm I expect that my fellow passengers will abide by one of the most casual dress codes on any luxury cruiseline at sea. How hard is it to dress as if you are dining in a very nice resturant, this is not hard to understand. I do not want to haul "spangled dress and tuxes" but I want to enjoy a smart and classy environment and not an evening flip flops and blue jeans....

Short answer NO!!!!

Really interesting as on our recent cruise on navigator, I saw no one inappropriately dressed in the evenings. In fact, most people were above the required dress code. I would say over 50% of men had jackets in the evening, every evening. My husband was NOT among them, but I was quite elegantly attired ( of course!) with a different cocktail dress for every evening, but that is just me! No ball gowns, but lots of very nice evening dresses for the ladies.

[quote name='ChatKat in Ca.']I think Jeans if dressed up well are ok. Not with tennis/athletic shoes, no holes, no shorts - although many wore them on the PG at night - linen walking shorts mostly and Hawaiian Shirts for men.;
I don't mind dressing for dinner but the luggage part is a pain now. So now on a 10 day cruise you take 10 outfits for night and 10 for day - and while you can mix and match you are still taking so much wardrobe in a limited space.

We do an annual Princess Cruise and we dress for dinner most nights but they are late in port 3 of 7 nights and we often skip the dress up by eating on shore; One of the reasons we take that cruise every year. It's a vacation - not a dress up party. Relaxed, casual and fun.

I shouldn't offed anyone because you can do what you want and I will do it my way. It's my vacation too.[/quote]

Yes -- it is your vacation and you can do what you want -- your way, but not on Regent. Everyone knows the dress code before they book their ticket (if they have done any research whatsoever). Either abide by the dress code or put up with a bitch (can I say that???) like me that will report you.:eek:

In terms of luggage, I pack heavy but even I can fit enough clothes for two weeks in two fifty pound suitcases (and we fly Business Class and could take four 50 pound suitcases if we needed to).

I knew that restarting this thread was not a good idea. Can't we just let it go? The policy is what it is. I didn't write it and you didn't write it. When we (CruiseCritic members) voted for Elegant Casual, some said that it was a "slippery slope". They were right (unfortunately).

tC2 is right on target on this. I take a different outfit for every night on a 10-14 day cruise, with shoes. No problem with luggage requirements. My husband takes 3-4 different pair of size 13 cowboy boots. Those are huge. Again, no problem wih luggage restrictions. We had 3 bags on our recent trip, plus 1 carry on.

[quote name='Travelcat2']Let's keep reminding people of the dress code on Regent. Allowing slobs into the Observation Lounge is, IMO, disgusting! If you want to dress in that manner, suggest you try another cruise line:eek: When we are on board Regent, we are there for vacation -- I am relaxed, mellow and enjoying everything about the experience. However, if I see jeans or shorts in the Observation Lounge after 6:00 p.m., the Head Bartender will hear about it. If people wearing this sort of attire are not asked to leave the next night, I will be in the General Managers office. While I may be mild mannered, polite and easy going on board, I am a "Leo" and my claws will come out and I will not let go of the issue (very similar to my "Travelcat2" persona). I recall a post where someone was upset that a person in the Coffee Connection had their shoes off and their feet on the table. They did not report it or say anything. All of us are paying good money for the Regent experience. If something is wrong, we need to speak up........ whether it is about the food, the service, dress code, etc. If you do not speak up, you will have wasted your money on an experience that was less than it should have been! It is important, however, not to be rude or disrespectful to the staff/management onboard. Politely explain the situation and it will be handled![/QUOTE]

Hear hear! And lets face it-- Regent has the easiest dress code to follow. If you can afford to get on the ship, then you can afford to not look like a slob. I cruise with three pair white pants and 6 or 7 tops--DH with lovely silk pants and Tommy Bahama silk shirts, Last year on Thanksgiving day, he was one of THREE men in the Dining room with a jacket on. Now how hard is that?

IMHO, to say that it is MY vacation, and I should be able to do what I want is so wrong and self absorbed! Regent and every other cruiseline have their own individual dress codes. If it says no jeans or shorts, people are showing total disrespect for others if they don't follow the rules. Why are they so special that the rules don't apply to them?

[quote name='LindaM']IMHO, to say that it is MY vacation, and I should be able to do what I want is so wrong and self absorbed! Regent and every other cruiseline have their own individual dress codes. If it says no jeans or shorts, people are showing total disrespect for others if they don't follow the rules. Why are they so special that the rules don't apply to them?[/QUOTE]

Well it is "Their" vacation and if a traveler does not like the dress code of a particular cruiseline then I would suggest that maybe they need to find a different ship to sail on.... Because it is "My" vacation too!

Of course this statement is IMHO :)

I think this whole topic of "Dress Code" should be a simple discussion about "Common Curtesy" to your fellow passengers. We have all researched and decided to cruise with a certain cruiseline, be that Carnival, HAL, Crystal or Regent. We do this for many reasons, but no matter your choice you know each line offers an "onboard" experience slightly different from the other cruiselines.
When I sail Regent I no I know longer need to lug a Tux for DH or Spangles for me. But I can enjoy my evenings and know it will be a upscale and classy feel about the ship.
This whole discussion about "fancy" jeans is just too much. Jeans are jeans even if they a $200 a pair or pink....it comes down to my opinion of appropriate blue jeans will never match everyone else idea. Trust me no matter how much $$$ I spent on a pair of jeans, well you don't want to see me in jeans!

IMHO enough said :)

I have never worn jeans onboard after 6 - however if you chose to do that and you wore appropriate accessories, I have no problem. As I said - you can do your clothes any way you like; If you wore shorts, It's your vacation - I am not going to report you or take offense. I might not like it, but it's your vacation.

I think that where I live allows for quite casual living; I don't care to go to a restaurant that is over $100 pp and see shorts, flip flops etc. But I am not going to tell you to go elsewhere. It's your dime. The restaurant won't either. They want your business. I think there are enough people who would love to wear whatever to dinner that we will soon see that as an option.

[quote=ChatKat in Ca.;35691206
I think that where I live allows for quite casual living; I don't care to go to a restaurant that is over $100 pp and see shorts, flip flops etc. But I am not going to tell you to go elsewhere. It's your dime. The restaurant won't either. They want your business. I think there are enough people who would love to wear whatever to dinner that we will soon see that as an option.[/quote]

Thankfully there are options. People who want to "wear whatever" to dinner can cruise a multitude of cruise lines other than Regent and other luxury lines. Having lived in California and now in Washington, I certainly understand living in a casual environment. Sometimes it can make one think that the rest of the world dresses as we do in our home cities. For better or worse, this is not true.

As nana541 posted, people select a cruise line for a variety of reasons. Dress code is certainly one of them. No one should have to pay for a cruise experience, get onboard and find that the dress codes, smoking code, etc. are not being adhered to. Thankfully, most of the time, Regent staff do ask passengers who are not dressed according to the dress code to please return to their suites and change. While I have only alerted the head bartender once about someone dressed in shorts and flip flops after 6:00 p.m., I feel that it is my responsibility as a long time Regent customer, to to let someone know when things are not right. If we ignored it, people would resume smoking on their balcony (very difficult for Regent staff to know when this is happening) and passengers would wear their $500 jeans, silk shorts and crystal flip-flops (that used to be sold in the Boutique for a couple hundred dollars). IMO, too many people have a feeling of entitlement and could care less what others think. Hopefully, Regent management will not give in to this way of thinking.

Archived