D+ Upgrade Questions

We currently have a D7 booked on Oasis and this will be our first D+ sailing and would like to know lots of details on D+ experiences getting cabin upgrades.

- Which ship

- What category did you originally book

- What category was the upgrade to

- Was it a free upgrade or did you have to pay

- Did RCCL call and/or email

- Will they leave a message on an answering machine

- What does the caller ID show

- How close to sailing did they contact you

We screen all of our phone calls and don't answer any that aren't readily identifiable on the caller ID. We don't want to miss out on an upgrade so we need to know if and when we need to start answering all calls. :o

Thanks for all info!

We currently have a D7 booked on Oasis and this will be our first D+ sailing and would like to know lots of details on D+ experiences getting cabin upgrades.

- Which ship

We screen all of our phone calls and don't answer any that aren't readily identifiable on the caller ID. We don't want to miss out on an upgrade so we need to know if and when we need to start answering all calls. :o

Thanks for all info!

There is no rhyme or reason to it, at least that's the way it feels. We are way over the D+ level and have been upgraded only once. I am going to try for the next level and see if that changes things. My best advice is to book the cabin you want and if the fairy visits all the better. :):)

You probably have a better chance of being upgraded on Oasis/Allure because there are usually quite a few more unsold JS and above unsold close to sailing than other ships. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who gets the upgrades. The upgrades used to be done by phone but now it just shows up on your reservation unless you have it marked do not upgrade. Make sure you have your upgrade preferences set in the computer

- Which ship

Thanks for all info!

Good luck. Upgrades are generally rare and oftentimes, C&A status does not guarantee an upgrade.

We have close to 60 cruises (over 400 points) on RCCL and have (only?) been upgraded 4 or 5 times. Those were several years ago. We have not had any upgrade in the past two years or so.

Our upgrades were from balcony cabins to a JS. (once we even had 3 in the cabin). These upgrades were all prior to the point conversion and the on-line upgrade preference listing. A few of the times we were called and asked if we wanted the complimentary upgrade, the other times the upgrade was assigned a week or so prior to sailing. I got a “your documentation is ready” email and when I clicked in – it was a new cabin assignment.

I have seen many comments about upgrades on the Allure and Oasis.

Again- Good luck.

M

All available cabins that may be used for upgrades are now in the control of the Revenue Department. If they are in a generous mood, they may give C&A several which, in turn, are offered by starting at the top of the C&A list and working their way down.

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting an upgrade.:D

We became D+ in 2009 and have been upgraded once on Enchantment in 2010. Went from a balcony to a junior suite and were thrilled!:) I came home from work to find a message on the phone asking us to call back if interested. I was so excited I could barely punch the numbers in!:D Anyway, it was very nice but I don't expect it to happen again!

Sherri:)

I am D+ and have had two very nice upgrades. Both have been (the best I can see them) a combination of the needs of the Revenue Department and my C&A status. I received a call about 10 days prior to my 2010 cruise on the Voyager asking if I wanted to go from a JS to an Owner's Suite. I ended up being upgraded to the Royal Suite after the CSR checked with the Revenue Department. What a treat for my special cruise in honor of my entrance into my "new fifties". Two sisters who were diamond were upgraded from a D1 to an Owner's Suite. They were lots of suites available and I feel certain that the Revenue Department thought that they could more easily sell a lower priced cabin at the last minute. I might also add that this was an October European sailing and there were not a lot of repeat cruisers on board.

Last spring, we were upgraded from a GS to a CLS about three weeks before we sailed on the Allure. Since a friend had gotten an upgrade to a CLS for her Oasis cruise, I had been watching cabin availability. Right before I received notification about my upgrade, I noticed that they'd added a GS guarantee category. I am guessing that they oversold the guarantee and because I had a needed cabin category and my C&A status, I was the beneficiary of an upgrade - especially since there was so much time until the sailing. The GS guarantee disappeared and there were still CLSs offered for sale. This time I received an email with my new cabin info.

D+ ......Oh they will give you a suite for free. After all, the whole reason RCL is in business is to give stuff away for free......sit by the phone and if it does not happen call Mr. Goldstein personally..he'd love to hear about it......:rolleyes:

You probably have a better chance of being upgraded on Oasis/Allure because there are usually quite a few more unsold JS and above unsold close to sailing than other ships. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who gets the upgrades. The upgrades used to be done by phone but now it just shows up on your reservation unless you have it marked do not upgrade. Make sure you have your upgrade preferences set in the computer

Where did you get this info?

Where did you get this info?

From checking the website for available cruises. Nothing official, just my observation. Not true for all sailings, but seems to be true on sailings I watched over a period of time. Allure/Oasis seem to have a greater percentage of unsold suites than other ships. More categories to move up the food chain. OP stated they are in a D7 on Oasis.

Free upgrade?

What's that?

Good one..

Never...and I have been D+ for a while now.....

the only upgrade i ever got was booking 2 suite guarantees, fairly close to sailing date...and they were both legs of a B2B - got the RFS and then a GS..spoiled rotten, but when we booked, the lowest suite available was a GS...

as for just getting a visit from the upgrade fairy? i hear that she won the lottery and has purchased her own island....and retired...:p

For the prices they ask for JS on Oasis class, I'm not surprised they have a lot.

This is our first D+ and we're in a GS. Just for grins, I looked and there are 5 out of 8 OS still available. I'm sure it's a pipedream to get that kind of upgrade but a girl can dream....

For the prices they ask for JS on Oasis class, I'm not surprised they have a lot.

This is our first D+ and we're in a GS. Just for grins, I looked and there are 5 out of 8 OS still available. I'm sure it's a pipedream to get that kind of upgrade but a girl can dream....

:) I hope you get one of the OSs.

It's obvious that the chances of an upgrade is greater if the booking is during a non-peak time with there thus being available cabins close to the sail date. The type of cabin and the ship you have booked will also have a distinct bearing as the availability of cabins in each class will vary. This is important since the upgrades are usually up only one class of cabin, i.e. inside to outside, outside to balcony, balcony to suite, etc.

I've been lucky enough to be upgraded three times, almost certainly D+ upgrades. One was from a balcony to a JS, another from an inside to an outside view and the third from an inside to a Central Park balcony (Allure). In each case all I received from RC was an email with a new invoice attached. The upgrades were given anywhere from one week prior to sailing to three weeks.

- Which ship

Thanks for all info!

We have been D+ for a long time and have NEVER received an upgrade. I never worry about it or expect is. IF it ever happens it will be a wonderful surprise. I just book the cabin I want and know I am happy with. Would be nice if it ever happens, but certainly don't expect it to:D

We had a D8 on Oasis and no upgrades there either. Hopefully someday I will be shocked and they will call and offer me one, but not holding my breath!

we are on allure 10/28 sailing and have a grand suite garentee all suites are sold out except cl suites i am hoping for an upgrade also, but have read on these bourds that likely a d plus will get the upgrade and we will get thier GS as we are only gold ,but i have read about gold members getting upgrades ,status doesnt mean that much to rcl

Last cruise (Allure) we are Diamond Plus but the parents are Diamond, we booked 2 cabins then switched to a suite guarantee & assigned even before final payment. Parents booked a D8, lowest category balcony. They got upgraded to a JS, we never moved out of the JS the Guarantee put us in. It's a crap shoot!

BonVoyage

Dawna

interesting to read this.

Never had an upgrade yet. have sailed in a suite twice, which limits upgrade availability, but all the other times were in Balcony cabins. My upcoming sailing on the Monarch, I actually booked the cheapest outside as it is only a 3 night. I wanted to see if I could get upgraded. So far, nothing.

There are still quite a bit of suites left on that ship, so maybe this will be my lucky cruise.

All available cabins that may be used for upgrades are now in the control of the Revenue Department. If they are in a generous mood, they may give C&A several which, in turn, are offered by starting at the top of the C&A list and working their way down.

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting an upgrade.:D

Dang, didnt want to hear that.

Every cruise our hopes build and .... Crash, reality hits, no upgrade

:(

Archived