Dining in Blu

TeachKinde

After looking at my options I'm considering dining each night in Blu. Is it first come first served? Do I need to make reservations? (Yes, I'm Aqua Class ;-) It looks like a rather small dining room. Any information is MUCH appreciated! Oh yeah... can I eat breakfast and lunch there? Thank you all so much!

Bev

While there will be some differences due to different demographics to each cruise, when Blu first opens for dinner there will be a number of passengers ready to be seated. There will be another "rush" just after the second show has ended. We recently enjoyed a pair of B2B cruises in Aqua Class, and rarely had to wait more then ten minutes to be seated.

At breakfast we were seated immediately, even on port days.

On the first night, they will suggest a time for you to dine, it is just until they work out who wants to dine when, afterwards, it is just walk up and be seated.

I have only once in several cruises had to wait more than 5 mins to be seated. That night because of a late sail out it seemed like 80% of Blu guests chose to eat around 1930. We always eat around 2030 and as the views were still spectacular guests were not unreasonably dawdling over their dinner so there was quite a wait until they could get tables for us later arrivals.

It was no problem, they offered us a 2 for 1 in Tuscan ( we did not take up as we were wanting a lighter meal) or wait in the lounge with a drink ( provided). We said actually we have drinks cards anyway so what we will do is go out onto the deck 5 and also enjoy the view and we agreed where we would be, they came for us when they were ready and at the end of the meal they also brought us dipped strawberries to say thanks for waiting.

It was no issue for us, what was impressive was how they were pulling staff in from other restaurants to help them reset tables quickly - even Bernard the Hotel Director was serving and setting tables

Hi Diane,

You can have whatever you want as long as it is on the list of wines available by the glass. Including dessert wine. Just discuss what you want and when you want it with your sommelier at the start of your meal.

Hi Diane,

You can have whatever you want as long as it is on the list of wines available by the glass. Including dessert wine. Just discuss what you want and when you want it with your sommelier at the start of your meal.

Thank you Willma. I have been reading quite a bit here on the boards and I seem to remember someone stating that the service from the Sommelier was poor on the Summit. This could have been the MDR.

Diane

There is one white and one red wine by the glass offered each night.

The sommelier is often pretty busy, so prepared to wait for a refill. Your best bet IMO is buying by the bottle. They will save the unconsumed wine for the following night, or you can take it back to the room.

The sommelier is often pretty busy, so prepared to wait for a refill. Your best bet IMO is buying by the bottle. They will save the unconsumed wine for the following night, or you can take it back to the room.

Since I will be buying the premium drinks card, it does not really make sense to buy wine by the bottle as well.

Is there a better time to plan to eat dinner in Blu?

Diane

There are several wines by the glass offered, I believe there is one each night that is "recommended" by the sommelier (based on the menu), but one can still order other wines by the glass. I do agree that the sommeliers can be busy, but the good ones do get to know your habits.

There are several wines by the glass offered, I believe there is one each night that is "recommended" by the sommelier (based on the menu), but one can still order other wines by the glass. I do agree that the sommeliers can be busy, but the good ones do get to know your habits.

Good to know. DH certainly knows how to make sure that we are taken care of.

Diane

We had great service with the premium drinks package in Blu. We discussed what type of wine we liked and the sommelier took care of everything. We loved that we didn't have to agree on a wine as we often ordered different entrees. We also had pellegrino with each meal and cappucinos.

We tended to arrive at Blu between 8.30 and 9. One evening there was a queue of about 5 couples and we waited approx 15 minutes. A couple of time the Maitre d disappeared off to the the bar to retrieve other people. We discovered a few nights later that sometimes he would ask people to wait in the bar and he would collect them (happened to us about 3 times). We never had a drink provided though.

Archived