Question About CCL Stock Benefits

Sandie

I have a quick question about CCL Stock Benefits. Is the stock ownership benefit combinable with OBCs that you might have accumulated through a future cruise voucher. TA offer, or on board booking?

I am considering purchasing this stock and also the Royal Caribbean stock, however, I have read that RCI does not allow you to combine the stock benefit OBC with others tht you might have.

Thanks for the help!

Sandie

I have a quick question about CCL Stock Benefits. Is the stock ownership benefit combinable with OBCs that you might have accumulated through a future cruise voucher. TA offer, or on board booking?

I am considering purchasing this stock and also the Royal Caribbean stock, however, I have read that RCI does not allow you to combine the stock benefit OBC with others tht you might have.

Thanks for the help!

Sandie

Yes they are in addition to. ;)

Don't know about RCCL stock.

The shareholder OBC is combinable with other types of OBC. It's per cabin and thus if both passengers each had 100 shares only one would be eligible for the OBC..."Only one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom".

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MTI5NDgxfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Thanks for the help!

Sandie

With Princess you can dip all the way. In our case, it's usually quintuple dip.

Thanks for the help!

Sandie

RCCL does not allow stock holders to add the benefit with other offers such as FCC. Voice of experience. :(

Several years ago RCCL allowed multiple OBC's from various sources, but they changed that policy. Only one OBC from the corporation but something from a TA could be combined with a FCC or an incentive to book or the shareholders benefit. If you book while on board an RCCL ship thereis no benefit for a shareholder. Hopefully Carnival will not follow suit.

Several years ago RCCL allowed multiple OBC's from various sources, but they changed that policy. Only one OBC from the corporation but something from a TA could be combined with a FCC or an incentive to book or the shareholders benefit. If you book while on board an RCCL ship thereis no benefit for a shareholder. Hopefully Carnival will not follow suit.

If you book while on board a Princess ship there's no benefit for a shareholder either. Shareholder comes into play when you submit documentation after final payment.

With Princess, you can get one shareholer, two FCC, two military, one loyalty and any you can get from your TA

Can anyone enlighten me as to how the FCC works as far as onboard credit? I have two FCC sitting in my account right now, and the personalizer page for my upcoming Canada/NE cruise shows an extra $15 for each one. I honestly didn't realize this was a benefit previously (nice that it is!). Does the amount vary by length or price of cruise? Is two the maximum number for FCC? Can each passenger in a cabin have two or is it just per cabin?

Thanks!

Can anyone enlighten me as to how the FCC works as far as onboard credit? I have two FCC sitting in my account right now, and the personalizer page for my upcoming Canada/NE cruise shows an extra $15 for each one. I honestly didn't realize this was a benefit previously (nice that it is!). Does the amount vary by length or price of cruise? Is two the maximum number for FCC? Can each passenger in a cabin have two or is it just per cabin?

Thanks!

Your FCC has the amount you are entitled to written right on it. The amount varies as to the length of the cruise, not the price you pay. Each passenger in a cabin gets ONE, not TWO. Which means that the two you are holding have to be in different names. You cannot use two FCC's for the same person in the same cabin at the same time.

The $100 you paid for the FCC is your total deposit when you make your booking. The OBC you get is what's written on that sheet, dependent on the amount of days of the cruise.

man my head hurts but i'm learning a lot. great thread for info.

i have one question though hope you can help. i'm going to buy ccl stock was wondering does it fluctuate from season to season. and do you have to own it for a certen amount of time before you can get the benefits. as you can tell by my avater i'm a hillbilly not up on all this stuff lol:cool:

man my head hurts but i'm learning a lot. great thread for info.

i have one question though hope you can help. i'm going to buy ccl stock was wondering does it fluctuate from season to season. and do you have to own it for a certen amount of time before you can get the benefits. as you can tell by my avater i'm a hillbilly not up on all this stuff lol:cool:

It fluctuates based on trends, not so much season to season.

While I am not giving advice on buying stocks, you need to evaluate what you'll risk for $100/week.

First, there's no minimum holding time for the stock. Once you purchase and send in the form, and the credit has been applied to your onboard account, you're under no obligation to continue to hold the stock - the FTC and SEC are VERY clear that companies who might be tempted to require a holding period are promoting the quality of the underlying investment, which can get them in deep dung.

The 104 week spread for CCL has been a low of about 28.50 and a high of 48. Right now it's trading at 34ish, or about in the middle of that range. In the worst month in that period, the stock lost about $7/share. That's a $700 loss (roughly 20%) for the minimum benefit-eligible purchase of 100 shares over a 30-day holding period. The stock does pay a modest dividend of $100/yr.

Let's assume the worst-case scenario, then. Someone who bought at the peak of 48 (Jan 2011) and watched it decline until mid-August 2011 would have lost around $1900, recovered $50 in dividends, spent at least $20 in sales commissions and taken out how much FCC?

Carnival stock is about 40% more volatile than the market as a whole. If the market moves up 10%, the stock over the last year has moved 14%. This cuts both ways.

So, if you think the right approach is to time the market and buy it cheap and then sell before it drops, that's your choice. For individual investors in individual stocks, the research shows this strategy to be, on the average, pretty lousy. It's very, very, very hard to beat the market over a long period of time, and small investors are at a disadvantage compared to automated high-frequency trading, institutional investors and people playing with borrowed money.

The stock will (probably) go up. The stock will (probably) go down. I extract enough benefit from the OBC to ride out market swings over the long term. Right now, I'm money ahead so long as the stock stays above 20ish, and that number drops by $1 every time I sail for a week. I'm a buy-and-hold investor that couldn't even tell you what CCL traded at on any given month without looking. I didn't even blink during the Costa thing, or the fire on Carnival or any of those minor impacts. I think the stock is solid over a long period of time, and I have received a lot of OBC from it. If you sail once or twice a year and would feel ill losing $700 or so, maybe this isn't the right investment for you.

While I am not giving advice on buying stocks, you need to evaluate what you'll risk for $100/week.

First, there's no minimum holding time for the stock. Once you purchase and send in the form, and the credit has been applied to your onboard account, you're under no obligation to continue to hold the stock - the FTC and SEC are VERY clear that companies who might be tempted to require a holding period are promoting the quality of the underlying investment, which can get them in deep dung.

The 104 week spread for CCL has been a low of about 28.50 and a high of 48. Right now it's trading at 34ish, or about in the middle of that range. In the worst month in that period, the stock lost about $7/share. That's a $700 loss (roughly 20%) for the minimum benefit-eligible purchase of 100 shares over a 30-day holding period. The stock does pay a modest dividend of $100/yr.

Let's assume the worst-case scenario, then. Someone who bought at the peak of 48 (Jan 2011) and watched it decline until mid-August 2011 would have lost around $1900, recovered $50 in dividends, spent at least $20 in sales commissions and taken out how much FCC?

Carnival stock is about 40% more volatile than the market as a whole. If the market moves up 10%, the stock over the last year has moved 14%. This cuts both ways.

So, if you think the right approach is to time the market and buy it cheap and then sell before it drops, that's your choice. For individual investors in individual stocks, the research shows this strategy to be, on the average, pretty lousy. It's very, very, very hard to beat the market over a long period of time, and small investors are at a disadvantage compared to automated high-frequency trading, institutional investors and people playing with borrowed money.

The stock will (probably) go up. The stock will (probably) go down. I extract enough benefit from the OBC to ride out market swings over the long term. Right now, I'm money ahead so long as the stock stays above 20ish, and that number drops by $1 every time I sail for a week. I'm a buy-and-hold investor that couldn't even tell you what CCL traded at on any given month without looking. I didn't even blink during the Costa thing, or the fire on Carnival or any of those minor impacts. I think the stock is solid over a long period of time, and I have received a lot of OBC from it. If you sail once or twice a year and would feel ill losing $700 or so, maybe this isn't the right investment for you.

thanks for the concern, i really thankful. more people should look out for other as you did for me. but what i'm looking at is to buy the stock needed and let it set forever. me and my wife are going to start 2 to 4 cruises a year now and hoping to retire near a port to take advantage of the last minute cruses to. if she had her way we would live on a cruise ship. and thanks again:cool:

If you sail once or twice a year and would feel ill losing $700 or so, maybe this isn't the right investment for you.

I managed to buy when it was near its high, with rosy analysts' reocmmendations and a target price of 57. Sigh. Bought it then because we were headed off to Alaska soon, and have since gotten some nice OBCs, including one on an upcoming 30-day cruise.

Still, most everything else in the ol' portfolio has gone up in the meantime, while CCL languishes in the post-Concordia doldrums. Unless things go farther south, we should be breaking even sometime before we die, but yes, those who see this as a no-lose proposition aren't looking very closely...unless they're the sort of cruisers who spend half the year onboard CCL ships.

thanks for the concern, i really thankful. more people should look out for other as you did for me. but what i'm looking at is to buy the stock needed and let it set forever. me and my wife are going to start 2 to 4 cruises a year now and hoping to retire near a port to take advantage of the last minute cruses to. if she had her way we would live on a cruise ship. and thanks again:cool:

I see by your sig line that you've already completed six Carnival cruises. That by itself is six time you could have had OBC as a shareholder. Even though we are major Princess cruisers, we just booked a short four day Carnival cruise for Sept. 3rd. Booked it on Sunday, faxed brokerage statement yesterday, received confirmation of our $50 OBC today.

We've owned our CCL shares since 1998 with over 50 cruises since then eligible for OBC. Was this investment profitable? ;)

If you intend to live near a port, by all means become a stockholder.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived