Am I The Only One......

I say we flip this around, what are the chances that any one of us truly stand out in any of the crew members minds?

Unless we were unbelievably extravagant or a super tight wad jack a$$, I doubt any of us are but a speck in their memory, which why the whole idea of bring the staff "gifts" other than cash is so goofy. I doubt many of the crew members are wishing they could meet up with us again...

IMHO.

I got on a cruise ship for the first time (had several cruises before). As I was walking to the Lido with my new wife, a bar server came up and said "Mr. Roy, we have your Budweiser on ice as usual. May I get you one sir?" I had not been on this line for a couple of years, but this server remembered me. I had NO clue who he was.

Did I feel guilty? NO< but I did get an ice cold beer!!!!

It amazes me when anyone remembers me. I've been going to the same grocery store for 19 yrs and no one there recognizes me, so I feel invisible. This week I went to Ruby Tuesday for lunch and the server remembered my order from almost 3 months ago "burger, medium, no bun, right?" I just stared at her, my mouth wide open.

No, I don't remember the names of the staff once the cruise is over.

We had a sommelier (Rudy) on our very first cruise from Rome to Athens on the now defunct Renaissance. We love to try local wines and would pick up a bottle of red and a bottle of white at every port. We would bring a bottle to dinner every night, pay the corkage fee and let Rudy try it. We all thoroughly enjoyed tasting the local vintages and learned a lot about regional wines. He would offer his (much more experienced!) opinion and give us his thoughts on what we might like based on what we were trying.

Two years later (after Renaissance was no longer in existence) we were on Celebrity's Constellation and up he walks to our table, looks at us and asks us if we brought him any local wine to taste! We were very happy to see him again!!

And that, for the most part, is the only person I remember specifically from our cruises.

When I was eight years old, my parents took me to Disney World. We went to the Hoop-De-Do-Review at Fort Wilderness. Out waiter was great. His name was Dallas. I remember that for two reasons: First, at that time, my father shot slide pictures. And every time we looked at the slides for years to come, when we got to the picture of my brother and I with Dallas, he and I screamed out "DALLAS!!!!". And second, because a few years ago, I ended up back at Disney with my friend and his kids. And don't you know... thirty years later, sitting at the Hoop-De-Do-Review, our waiter comes over... I look at him and yell "Dallas!!!!". Yeah, it was him:)

That's the best I got.

I have to say - that's impressive! :eek:

No, I have forgotten the names of our last cruise's staff by the time I drive away from the port. With one exception - my DH took the Monarch cruise-to-nowhere last weekend, and when he got home he asked me if I remembered "Yuti" from the Monarch in May. Surprisingly, I did once I heard her name mentioned. We saw her only in the WJ when she was selling cookbooks, but talked to her for several minutes and mentioned her on our comment card. She saw DH last weekend and immediately greeted him by name and asked where I was. She is a part-time assistant waiter by now (training for Guest Services), and he tipped her an extra $20, I think in part because she remembered his name :D This is our ONLY instance of remembering (or being remembered by) a crew member in eighteen cruises. She will probably be an asset in Guest Services.

I do remember one complete staff. I will never forget that AWESOME bartender, Isaac. Along with Gopher, the purser. That cruse had Julie as a cruise director, and she was fantastic. It was the one time I was thrilled to actually meet the captain. Captain Stubing was one of a kind!

Otherwise, I remember no one!:D

I have their theme song on my iPhone and play it during sail away.

Don

I remember names easily and that's why I still remember all of my stateroom attendants names (yea, all mighty 3 of them :rolleyes:).

That's it. No one else comes to mind.

As you might have noticed you are definitely not alone ;)

I remember the names while I'm on the ship, but by the time my feet hit solid ground those names are not even a blip on the radar:D

I am amazed by posters that can cite the concierge on every ship...not sure if I want to have that kind of memory!

There are a couple of CD's names I remember...because they really went out of their way to make the cruise special...but that's all I remember is their names...they could run over me in the street & I'd never recognize them...wait staff & cabin stewards...no way...could I even begin to remember all of them...

I don't remember the names of many of the ships I've been on - and it's not like I've been on a gazillion cruises.

I may remember the name of a server or steward - until I get of the ship.

I don't think I've ever had personal contact with a cruise director.

My captain is always Captain Speaking...

Heck, I don't remember the names of many of my co-workers (the size of the company has increased greatly in the last couple of years) and I'm expected to remember all these people I'll likely never see again?

Not happening.

So, no. You are NOT alone!

I do remember some of the cruise directors names. Also I remember one waiters name on a Carnival ship. he was Jamaican & his name was Elvis. Imagine that!:D

Oh! I think I may have had Elvis! Wow. An actual memory!

I do remember one complete staff. I will never forget that AWESOME bartender, Isaac. Along with Gopher, the purser. That cruse had Julie as a cruise director, and she was fantastic. It was the one time I was thrilled to actually meet the captain. Captain Stubing was one of a kind!

Otherwise, I remember no one!

Wait, what about that Photographer Ace? Oh yeah that's right, never mind.

Sometimes I feel like the only person on Cruise Critic who doesn't remember the names of cabin stewards, bartenders, masseuses, Cruise Directors, waiters.....not even the names of Captains.

I am not a bad person, I over tip if anything, I don't demand much from the staff while cruising and I hardly ever complain. I love cruising and part of the reason I love cruising is because I feel so taken care of and pampered. BUT, I don't think of the staff members as my "friends" and I never remember anyone's name once I walk off the ship and head home. I retain fond feelings and happy memories, but the cruise staff just blends into my thoughts and no one person stands out.

Maybe I could pay more attention, but then I would be spending valuable vacation time doing something that doesn't matter me. :rolleyes:

Oh well, just wanted to get that off my chest. :D

We are the same way. I don't remember names of the people who make my cruise fabulous. I wish I did but by the time I am in my car, on the way home, their faces are there but their names elude me.

My profession pretty much requires me to retain names after a first introduction so I do a pretty good job at remembering some the people who make my vacation special. Especially those who make a lasting impression or go above and beyond their duties for me. I DONT consider them "friends" though :confused:

I dont understand these "Am I the only one that doesnt......" threads though. Its almost as if they are a "jab" at those who DO choose to remember names of staff they have met on the ship. Im also sure that people that can afford to and are able to cruise many times and do the same ships over and over DO consider some of these people are "friends" :) I see nothing wrong with that really.

My apologies in advance if my assumption is wrong. You know what they say about assuming things.

Carry on :)

I can count on one hand the number of crew members whose names I remember. I'm always amused by the posts asking it anyone who is sailing soon on the (insert name of ship here) and runs into (insert name of crew member here) tell him that Becky from Texas says "hi"! :rolleyes:

Archived