why does Carnival have such a bad "partying" reputation

cruisingreena

I always heard it was a party ship too. When we sailed Disney, I was like ok, nice chill people. We got home and booked our second cruise, on Carnival. I will admit, it was a great price. I looked up utube vids as I was worried, saw fights on the ship we were going on. I was super nervous, tried to get my DH to cancel numerous times. Alas, we went and you know what, it was the same people I saw on Disney, it was chill, no worries. We came home and now have 3 more booked. Of course our next one is 5 days. I have heard the shorter the cruise........

It is because Carnival attracts a lower class of people, due to the cheap cruise prices. Not judgein just sayin. Sometimes it is fun to see all the drunks make fools of themselves. I cruise Carnival for price alone so I must put up with whatever comes aboard. Most of the time I enjoy the show.:)

Laughed out loud at this comment...whatever:rolleyes:

If you can read I said "not judgein, just sayin." If you think the average Carnival cruiser is highly educated and a socialite you must be blind and deaf. I did not mean to hurt feelings. I just speak the truth that I have seen.:)

So just because you saw it once, you can make broad statements? Ok.

I love reading Carnival people complaining about reputations, but they throw mud at every other cruise line. I am a long time Disney cruiser, and in the Disney cruising mind, Carnival is NOT viewed as some how low class, but it is viewed as less of a family atmosphere and more drunks. Is that true? Doubtful, that is why I booked a Splendor cruise! Purely for scientific research!

So just because you saw it once, you can make broad statements? Ok.

I love reading Carnival people complaining about reputations, but they throw mud at every other cruise line. I am a long time Disney cruiser, and in the Disney cruising mind, Carnival is NOT viewed as some how low class, but it is viewed as less of a family atmosphere and more drunks. Is that true? Doubtful, that is why I booked a Splendor cruise! Purely for scientific research!

LOL . . . I did the same thing with the SPLENDOR originally. Had to extend the research to 3 cruises and probably another one before she leaves. Just can't seem to get good numbers on all those "drunks" and "low-classed" people that are supposed to be hassling everyone. :D

We heard of this reputation before we took out first cruise on the Legend, however we did not experience this reputation at all.

We even went out of Tampa so we kinda expected more of a party crowd

Our experience was a very diverse group of cruisers, but mainly middle aged folks, not a ship full of college kids. About the only "party" atmosphere we really experienced was when we went to Medusa's Lounge.

Now this is what I would clasify as a party cruise:

Edited by CJ0226
link

LOL . . . I did the same thing with the SPLENDOR originally. Had to extend the research to 3 cruises and probably another one before she leaves. Just can't seem to get good numbers on all those "drunks" and "low-classed" people that are supposed to be hassling everyone. :D

The things we do for science, we are truly dedicated.

Too bad we cant share a DOD while we engage in further research.

If you can read I said "not judgein, just sayin." If you think the average Carnival cruiser is highly educated and a socialite you must be blind and deaf. I did not mean to hurt feelings. I just speak the truth that I have seen.:)

I wonder what you mean when you say "highly educated." Do I know doctors, nurses, and computer programmers who sail Carnival? YES I DO. BOOM, just blew that argument out of the water. I think you're just making an assumption that's totally false with that claim. Just saying....

Guys the whole thing is probably my fault. I get wasted on these cruises. I'm not obnoxious though. Everyone likes me and my singing voice is awesome....no....really....

So YOU'RE the one. You must take an awful lot of cruises to have soured Carnival's reputation. :D

I don't know why the reputation is so bad, either. I haven't seen any real partying going on on the cruises I've been on (though admittedly two of them were itineraries more popular with an older set--Alaska and Panama). We don't go during spring break. There is a fun atmosphere on board Carnival ships, though, which is what I like. I would hate being on a stuffy and boring cruise like a lot of other people have said.

when I tell others who cruise that have never cruised on carnival that I sail with Carnival most immediately say they would never cruise with Carnival, due to the excessive partying that goes on.

I dont drink and have never noticed this...and I would notice it if it was around me...I just dont get it.

I've cruised since 1988, and still have never seen a "party ship" on any line, including something like 16 Carnival cruises.

But like any place where there are bars open all day, you may find one idiot that had too much to drink. Just hope it's not someone you are related to, or worse, staring you in the mirror. :eek:

I still think people misunderstand FUNSHIP wih party ship, and it takes off from there. And when challenged, the statement is usually always from someone who never set foot on a Carnival ship.

But like any place where there are bars open all day, you may find one idiot that had too much to drink. :eek:

Like this guy on a RC ship? (My daughter actually found this video when she was looking for Mariner of the Seas videos before one of our cruises on her.)

Edited by jules815

Classy= How many tatoos I have, What trailer park I live in, How many pink flamingos I have in my front lawn, How many NASCAR events I go to each year, How many NFL baseball caps I own, Who my favorite rap star is, How many gold teeth I have, How long my finger nails are, How many Air jorden flip-flops I own,and last but not least can I wear my wife beater on formal night and order meatloaf and fried chicken!!!! Just sayin:D This is why I love Carnival Cruise Lines!!!! The people one meets on board...

when I tell others who cruise that have never cruised on carnival that I sail with Carnival most immediately say they would never cruise with Carnival, due to the excessive partying that goes on.

I dont drink and have never noticed this...and I would notice it if it was around me...I just dont get it.

Because for the first 20+ years.....

Carnival was known as a booze and booty cruise.

It was not a Sail and Sign card....it was a Drink and Sink card.

That kind of reputation is difficult to change....

(especially when shorter cruises still draw that kind of clientele)

Because we never hear about drunks using the passageways as a latrine on other cruise lines.

Because we never hear about pax on other lines who bought a cheap suitcase, filled it with BudLight and then just left the suitcase on the ship.

Because we hear about coolers full of drinks hauled to the pool deck on Carnival ships.

I haven't taken my first Carnival Cruise, yet. My parents have taken 4 7 night cruises on CCL and said they never really saw the drunk partying atmosphere, but the 4 night, during the summer, out of Port Canaveral was a "booze cruise" and they HATED IT! I think the reputation started with the advertising in the 80s/90s but I think the reason the reputation persists is because of the shorter cruises and pricing. I can't state for any other port, but living here in Port Canaveral, I can tell you it's pretty inexpensive to get out of town for a 3 day weekend on CCL and the locals who do it aren't doing it for a vacation, they're doing it to party. Not everyone on the ship of course, just the locals I know. They tend not to go on RCCL or Disney because the prices are a bit higher and they have never advertised to the party crowd.

Having said all that, we decided to take the 7 day because of the itinerary, the fact it leaves from PC and my parents' assurance that the 7 days are no more partying than on other ships, lol.

I think it is the 3 & 4 day cruises that eventually gave Carnival their party reputation.

Having said that, Carnival's reputation could & would be much, much, much worse if their ships consisted of only Cruise Critic members..

:eek:

It is because Carnival attracts a lower class of people, due to the cheap cruise prices. Not judgein just sayin. Sometimes it is fun to see all the drunks make fools of themselves. I cruise Carnival for price alone so I must put up with whatever comes aboard. Most of the time I enjoy the show.:)

Classy= How many tatoos I have, What trailer park I live in, How many pink flamingos I have in my front lawn, How many NASCAR events I go to each year, How many NFL baseball caps I own, Who my favorite rap star is, How many gold teeth I have, How long my finger nails are, How many Air jorden flip-flops I own,and last but not least can I wear my wife beater on formal night and order meatloaf and fried chicken!!!! Just sayin:D This is why I love Carnival Cruise Lines!!!! The people one meets on board...

Sorry, but you seem to be the one with no class making these comments. :rolleyes:

Have you ever cruised out of Galveston or cruised on a 3 or 4 day out of Florida ?? Nothing more to be said.

I find this interesting......if your cruise signature is accurate you have never sailed out of Galveston????? Out of 26 Carnival cruises, 11 of them were from Galveston.....I've also cruised from PC, Miami, NOLA, Long Beach and San Juan.......I don't find anything particularly different other than Galveston is a great place to spend the night before a cruise and a fabulous place to watch the ships come into port in the early morning hours. It's a rare port that you can actually be within about 30' of the ship as it makes it's 180 turn to back into the pier.

The other thing I like about Galveston is how friendly the shoreside agents are......2nd only to PC.....

And if you are suggesting that the passengers that sail from Galveston are more of a party minded set, I can't agree with that either......probably the roudiest was San Juan on the Holiday back in 2001...or maybe on one of our Glory cruises when she sailed from PC.

We had a M-F four day first week in February that has been one of our wildest to date. Even wilder than the 3-day in July.

Carnival earned the party rep on it's first cruise when the Mardi Gras got stuck on a sandbar and opened up the bars. One big party for the rest of the cruise.

But did you have a good time!!!!

Gary

I have been a couple ccl cruises and had some problems with drunk college kids but there again my fault for booking during spring break ! But my other one was not close to spring break no problems ! Booked another one for late late april 2013 praying that its not fille with drunk college kids !!!!!

The bulk of my cruises have been on Carnival going way back to the Mardi Gras in the 70's. I have never seen a "party" atmosphere on any of my cruises. People have fun, some drink alot, but not a large amount of people on any one crusie. Never enough to make me dislike it. I think the 3 nighters out of CA used to have that distinction, but I don't know anymore.