Next Cruise - Need Some Help

Middle Aged and Happy

Over the last four years, I have cruised to Alaska three times, Caribbean two times and the NE US Canada once. My absolute favorite by far is Alaska and my least favorite the Caribbean. I'm looking at vacation spots for next year for the big 60 celebration (hey any excuse for a cruise works). What would you big cruise goers suggest? What has been your favorite and why? I was looking at Antarctic but don't think that is in the budget. How about Scandinavia? I like nature, scenery, ports with active excursion options and generally cooler weather. I don't necessarily like art galleries, hot places, or beaches. Your thoughts and suggests would be very valuable. Thanks in advance.

What month are you planning on? I adore the Med in the spring and fall. I don't like hot weather either (actually I hate it), but IMO the Med was perfect because it's a dry heat and just lovely. I never felt uncomfortable, even when walking a lot. It's full of history and the beauty is breathtaking. Love that blue, blue water.

Scandinavia is another good choice, we have that on the front burner for 2014. :)

Over the last four years, I have cruised to Alaska three times, Caribbean two times and the NE US Canada once. My absolute favorite by far is Alaska and my least favorite the Caribbean. I'm looking at vacation spots for next year for the big 60 celebration (hey any excuse for a cruise works). What would you big cruise goers suggest? What has been your favorite and why? I was looking at Antarctic but don't think that is in the budget. How about Scandinavia? I like nature, scenery, ports with active excursion options and generally cooler weather. I don't necessarily like art galleries, hot places, or beaches. Your thoughts and suggests would be very valuable. Thanks in advance.

Hello

Congratulations not just on the upcoming milestone but also being middle aged and happy :) If it's any help or interest for your big decision, from my HAL cruises I have made a few short videos of the ports of call :

Mediterranean (2009, 2011 and 2012) http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1633637 I'm recently back from the last one so have only done a couple from Venice so far. All 3 cruises were done in June or July, when it was blisteringly hot.

Baltics (2010) http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1662653 which was taken in June when the temperatures were ideal for sightseeing.

As for my favourite ports, I can't split Venice, Rome, Istanbul and St Pertersburg. All the best wherever you end up, Tony

How much time do you have? A 15 day RT Hawaii is nice. The 30 day RT Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas is even better.

A 60th anniversary is special, congratulations by the way, how about the Voyage of the Vikings which does all sorts of Northern European ports?

We're going back to the Baltics - it's incredible - there's also a nice Celtic adventure after on the Prinsendam usually.:)

if you don't like crossing the Pond by plane - take a look at the TA's that then connect to either the Baltics (or reverses). That way you only have one flight (or better yet hop on another ship that goes back).

So many wonderful things to see - don't restrict yourself:):)

This is VERY DIFFERENT than Alaska, but includes some incredible sight-seeing. We tremendously enjoyed our trip to the North Cape earlier this year. HAL is doing this trip in 2013 on Ryndam from Dover and on Rotterdam from, well, Rotterdam.

Plus you can check off your list crossing the Arctic Circle!

We just got back from a two week cruise that went to Scotland, Norway and Denmark. Nice cool weather and fabulous scenery. Norwegian fjords are spectacular and worth the time and money. We too have done Alaska, NE Canada and Caribbean and consider the Scotland/Norway cruise the best!

What month are you planning to cruise since that will influence the temperature. My favorite cruises have been: 1. A full Panama Canal Transit, 2. A Baltic Cruise, 3. A Med Cruise, 4. An Alaskan Cruise. I hope to repeat ALL of them. The downside of a full Panama Canal Transit is you will normally have a few Caribbean ports and you don't care for them. The ports in the Med can be HOT, depending upon the month. Believe it or not, we had HOT weather in the Baltic, too.

I agree with everyone else about the Med. We just did Eastern Med last Fall and it was delightful. My friends just did the Baltic in June on the Eurodam and as much as they really liked it, the expense was very high in the ports as well as hotels pre and post cruise - much more expensive than they had thought it would have been.

I would highly recommend a cruise to the Baltics---each port has such a unique "flavor" (unlike the Caribbean where it all starts blending together). You'll visit a number of historic cities-- from Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Tallinn (and more), to fabulous St. Petersburg. Plus, the scenery is absolutely gorgeous.

Have fun choosing a fabulous cruise to celebrate your 60th!

We went on the Baltic cruise earlier this year....it was fantastic. If you're looking for a laid back cruise, this is not it....but if you are looking for a busy, port intensive cruise with beautiful scenery and exciting cities to visit....this is definitely it!

Thank you all for your insight. I think I am going to do some research on the Baltic cruises. Is there a better time of the year to go? I love port intensive cruises with a lot of scenery and fun things to do. Based on you input it looks like Baltic, Celtic or Med is the next stop for me.

Although we didn't do our Baltic Cruise in June, I've spoken to quite a few people who did. All reported great weather. They also said the extra long days were a huge advantage for enjoying the beautiful scenery while cruising. (Our Baltic Cruise was in July. The weather was beautiful, but we had several days when the temperatures were in the 90's. Our Western Med Cruise was in September. We again encountered temperatures in the 90's. I mention this because you said you like cooler temperatures.)

Archived