What are some "must do's" for the first couple of hours you are on board?

kath00

LOOOOVE having the cabins ready when we board. That's a major downer with the other lines. Can't get into many of them until 1:30!

We've never cruised Princess before... is this common on all Princess ships? :eek: This would be wonderful! How on earth do they get all the cabins ready so quickly?

We've never cruised Princess before... is this common on all Princess ships? :eek: This would be wonderful! How on earth do they get all the cabins ready so quickly?
They kick you out at about 8AM on debarkation day!

1) Buy DW a Coke Card

2) Go to pool area and get burgers and drinks with umbrellas!

First thing inside our cabin we check out all the printed information to find out exactly what is available to us, dining options, specials, entertainment, etc. Highlighters are used so we can quickly locate important information at a later time.

I was totally amazed by another thread on which several people seemed to be unaware that anyone could eat dinner in the MDR (as opposed to those in suites). Others were unaware that the dining room was open for breakfast and lunch.

A couple of years ago we booked a cruise because it was scheduled to stop in Trinidad. They diverted to Grenada and gave us a flyer when we checked in with the updated information. When we arrived in our cabins, we found another notice that informed us of the diversion. A week later, many people were still surprised to find themselves in Grenada, instead of Trinidad. :D

How many people miss out on things because they don't read?:confused:

A couple of years ago we booked a cruise because it was scheduled to stop in Trinidad. They diverted to Grenada and gave us a flyer when we checked in with the updated information. When we arrived in our cabins, we found another notice that informed us of the diversion. A week later, many people were still surprised to find themselves in Grenada, instead of Trinidad. :D

How many people miss out on things because they don't read?:confused:

A long time ago I was an user in a movie theater, back in the days when all movie theaters just had one screen with one movie.

You would be surprised at the number of people who bought tickets, came into the theater, and wondered what was the movie they would be seeing.

A long time ago I was an user in a movie theater, back in the days when all movie theaters just had one screen with one movie.

You would be surprised at the number of people who bought tickets, came into the theater, and wondered what was the movie they would be seeing.

Now that's funny! I like surprises but that's a bit much...

We unpack carry-ons, put jewelry, cash and passports in safe then head for a sit down lunch. We try to see cabin steward as soon as possible for a mattress topper....even with the new mattresses DW with her infirmity needs that extra inch to get out bed easily. If we are on the Grand or Golden (have yet to be on the Star) then we seek out the Maitre-d' to get changed out of the MDR as those ships only have two aft elevators that go down to that level and the wait for one can be horrendous....wheelchairs and stairs don't work.

I am guessing that there were limited entertainment options in your area. :D

I am guessing that there were limited entertainment options in your area. :D

No, actually quite a few.

This was Miami Beach and at that time had four movie theaters on Lincoln Road (Carib, Beach, Lincoln, Colony) and two on 41st Street (Sheridan, Roosevelt) and one on Washington Avenue (Cameo).

Plus, of course, everything else Miami Beach and nearby Miami had to offer.

Yes, it is. From my experiences you can board the ship earlier on other cruise lines, but the cabins are not ready. Princess holds off boarding until all the cabins are ready. Perhaps this helps getting the cabins ready earlier?

Drop off our carry on bags. Go to the pool and hog about 10 loungers. :rolleyes:

NOT.

Then head to a bar to get a good seat because it gets crowded, don't know if it is because of the drinks prices or because it is the first day. Get to know the BT, leave a very huge tip and then we get great fantastic drinks plus a few freebies during the cruise.

Don't bother eating because we already ate before boarding the ship and the drinks usually fill us up. Plus we don't want to lose our bar seats. :D

Take a peek at your cabin. Find the MDR that is 'serving' lunch. Back to my cabin to unpack (too crowded with newbies to look around). Meet my cabin steward. Go to the Emergency Drill. Get a drink (one that has a little umbrella on it). Watch as we pull out of the port - WE ARE ON VACATION!!!!

5. Go and reserve several deck chairs for the duration of the cruise by leaving multiple personal items scattered around the pool area

:rolleyes: I like to go around on the first day and steal all of those personal items that are left by people trying to reserve a deck chair.

:p

After one warning, chair hogs should have CH branded in red on their foreheads. There would never be a lounger shortage if people only practiced common courtesy.

Imagine if everyone felt they were entitled to their own personal chair for the duration of the cruise.

After one warning, chair hogs should have CH branded in red on their foreheads. There would never be a lounger shortage if people only practiced common courtesy.

Imagine if everyone felt they were entitled to their own personal chair for the duration of the cruise.

Actually, you can have that... for a price... in the Sanctuary.:)

We use to, but never won... :)

I won some Bingo cards and had a ball playing Bingo, which I normally don't do.

We also had fun running around the ship with our friends and getting our cards stamped. Good way to familiarize oneself with a ship.

Actually, you can have that... for a price... in the Sanctuary.

My point exactly. The general pool area is for everyone to enjoy. Anyone who wants their own chair should go to the Sanctuary.

People keep their own hours and come and go to the pool area. Allowing for the natural flow of things, it would be possible for 2000 people to share 200 chairs on their own schedules. The problem comes when people feel entitled to prevent others from using the limited number of chairs while they are off enjoying other activities.

Paul, could you come on our cruise, please? :D

Archived