TA talking bad about NCL.

ladybiker4life

I went to see a TA in my town the other day. I was telling her how excited I was that I booked my first cruise on the NCL Sky. Then she turn around and told me that I picked the worst cruise line :eek:. Just think how that made me feel? she tried to get me to chance my cruise to another line and have her take over my reservation. I dont think I could use a TA that will bust the bubble of a excited cruiser. I will just keep my reservation with NCL and work with them.

I agree, skip that TA and go directly with NCL. I have not been on the Sky but from everything I have read, it is a wonderful ship with a wonderful crew.

NCL is a little different than most mainstream cruise lines, but for many that is what its great appeal is.

I'm a TA and don't understand why travel agents don't promote Norwegian well and they talk lowly of Norwegian. I love NCL and that is one I promote mostly. I love the freestyle aspect. I think that good TA's should not dog out any cruise line to their customer. Everyone has different styles and tastes and u have to find a cruise line that fits the individual needs.

I went to see a TA in my town the other day. I was telling her how excited I was that I booked my first cruise on the NCL Sky. Then she turn around and told me that I picked the worst cruise line :eek:. Just think how that made me feel? she tried to get me to chance my cruise to another line and have her take over my reservation. I dont think I could use a TA that will bust the bubble of a excited cruiser. I will just keep my reservation with NCL and work with them.

My first question to her would have been:

Oh, when did cruise NCL last?

We book our cruises early and I have never found a TA that offered much of a benefit for using them. I like controlling my on reservation. If we decide to go on a Caribbean cruise and book at the last minute, sometimes a TA can provide bennies.

Wow, unbelievable! Bad enough she tried to get you to switch cruises, there is a possibility that she really believes NCL would not make you happy, but trying to get you to hand over your reservation to her too? How unprofessional and downright rude is that? Not a person I'd want to deal with. :(

I normally book directly with the cruise line but this time I found such a good deal with Expedia Travel that I booked with them (Saved around $250 each over the current cruise line price plus $75 OBC). I agree with another poster, I would rather book with the cruise line and control my on reservation but in these hard times, money is money.

Probably getting more of a kickback from the other cruise line. :confused:

Money talk's :eek:

That was my first thought, too. NCL seems to have the most reasonable rates, provide a good product (not luxury but very good), and treat its repeat customers very, very well. You only have to have 75 days to get platinum. The other cruise lines I've gone on require 200 or similar numbers to get the good perks. That TA must want more of the pie.

2003 I walked into my local TA to book the then new Dawn. She spent an hour telling me why that would be a mistake. I left and booked elsewhere. To date she has missed booking 30 NCL cruises.

The funny thing 3 years later I walked by their office and in the widow was a giant promotional model of the Dawn.

I have no idea why people even use travel agents anymore. It is far too easy to go directly through the cruise line. I don't imagine that TA's will be around much longer.

Because I get a better deal through my TA than booking direct.

Dave

I have no idea why people even use travel agents anymore. It is far too easy to go directly through the cruise line. I don't imagine that TA's will be around much longer.

I use a TA because my TA is a friend and if it costs the same for me, I like to give a friend the commission. The few times I've had questions and needed to make changes, she's also been able to get answers/results from NCL much more quickly than I could when I tried.

I'm a TA and don't understand why travel agents don't promote Norwegian well and they talk lowly of Norwegian. I love NCL and that is one I promote mostly. I love the freestyle aspect. I think that good TA's should not dog out any cruise line to their customer. Everyone has different styles and tastes and u have to find a cruise line that fits the individual needs.

I agree -- some lines are better than others, depending on the type of trip you want. For us, freestyle cruising works the best. I have an ADHD son who is difficult to manage when we have to be at dinner by a certain time. Freestyle saves our vacation (and my sanity)!

By the way, I sailed on the Sky in 2000 when it was just about a year old. It was a beautiful ship back then and I'm sure it's still beautiful. Have a wonderful trip.

TA's come in all shapes and sizes and they still account for more than 80% of the cruise industry business - so they are not going away anytime soon. Perhaps the brick and morter TAs are on the decline - but the online ones will continue to go on as will the "big box" ones.

A good TA should cruise on a regular basis - mine just got back from a Wine Country cruise of Spain and France. He has also cruised on many different lines and ships. He also makes a point to attend industry events and seminars put on by the cruise lines.

When we wanted to do something special for our 25th and decided to take an Alaskan cruise. My wife knew a TA and soon a packet of brochures along with a note arrived on our doorstep. We narrowed things down to two lines - Princess (yes my DW was a huge Love Boat fan) and NCL. We asked our TA for the pros and cons of each line. He pointed out other things like different ports and port times - important for AK. He also asked how much we liked dressing up for dinner. Based on our answers he reccommended NCL - a conclusion we had almost come to ourselves from the brochures. Since we were new to crusing he spent lots of time answering our questions about both Alaska and the cruise. He also got us an upgrade from our balcony to a suite for this cruise. He is very professional and because we like NCL and for now are quite loyal to them - he has not even mentioned another line. I am also more savvoy about using the internet to research my travels. I consider my TA to also be my PCC - but with one difference - my TA can book me on another cruise line should I want.

Maybe I was lucky to find my TA 10yrs ago - he is small - just him and his wife (part time). He also is smart enough to know the difference between a customer and an client. You don't get repeat business by making someone uncomfortable with the decision they have made and appear to be happy about.

Why did you speak with a TA after booking a cruise on your own?:confused:

Anywho hope you have a great time. I've heard cruise lines usually use their older ships for their shorter cruises. However, I was on the Sky and had a great time. Upside is if you, you "like" the Sky then you'll really enjoy NCL's newer ships and longer itineraries.

I guess I wonder why you would even tell the TA? We book with TAs 90% of the time but I would never tell a TA about a booking unless I was booking with the TA. The Travel business is a tough business to be in these days.

NCL has it's fans and detractors. I was surprised when I got off a Princess ship last week, I had to wait for luggage and was talking to a dock worker about the craziness of passengers -- person said, if you think this is crazy, you should be here when a NCL ship is in port. I thought that was interesting. I have not been on NCL in 10 years ... booked the Jade though for next April in the Mediterranean.

We all need to make our own decisions, I do read reviews, some are valid and some are not. The only way you know how a line/ship fits for you is to check it out personally.

Hope you have a great cruise.

It would be easier if all PCCs were knowledgeable, articulate, and responsive. Failure in those areas have me seriously considering working with a TA right now - one who was referred to me by a loyal NCL cruiser :D

NCL has it's fans and detractors. I was surprised when I got off a Princess ship last week, I had to wait for luggage and was talking to a dock worker about the craziness of passengers -- person said, if you think this is crazy, you should be here when a NCL ship is in port. I thought that was interesting. I have not been on NCL in 10 years ... booked the Jade though for next April in the Mediterranean. .

The worker could have also been refering to when the NCL ship is in port at the same time as the Princess - ie twice the luggage and pax.

At least you found CC!!! Spend a few hours reading here about your ship and you will know what to expect on your vacation. Have a great vacation and stop back after your trip to share a few comments and some pictures.

Archived