One of the masses?

cruiser101101

When onboard a Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Crossing do you feel like you are one of the masses since QM2 sails this route such a lot?

On the contrary, I felt like a glimmering star in the cruising firmament.

I had a great time.

i-2BkGQ8g-L.jpg

That's a long way of saying No, isn't it? :)

I felt the response called for that little bit extra. :)

You have to admit that the question was a little more interesting than the "how long does it take to get from the pier to insert location?"

CLIA states that nearly 10,000,000 people cruise annualy now

QM2 has 20 crossings in 2012. If they all sail pretty full (which from the pricing of some of the winter ones appears unlikely), then that's 50,000 people - assuming they only go one way - and quite a few do back to backs.

That's 0.5% of all cruisers.

Feeling like one of the masses is an entirely subjective matter.

Some people feel that way unless they're climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or some other relatively rare experience. Others are perfectly happy to visit Disney Land/World each and every time they go on vacation, regardless of whether millions have followed and will follow in their footsteps.

Certainly traveling transatlantic on the QM2 is somewhere in between these two extreme examples. Indeed, millions of immigrants traveled the same routine in earlier times out of absolute necessity.

However, the concept of traveling across the pond for the pure pleasure of an ocean journey is a foreign concept to many of us who have become accustomed to the instant gratification of the modern age - including a quick 6 hour jet trip across the pond - during which you can skip the pleasantries of eating with or your speaking to your fellow travelers.

So, in a way, it has become a rarefied experience for those who willfully and eagerly choose it as their preferred option. An otherwise bygone experience to cherish and savor for all the days that it lasts.

. If they all sail pretty full (which from the pricing of some of the winter ones appears unlikely),

In the old days.....well a few years ago there was always a notice displayed at the pursers desk on every cruise we took, saying that the ship was full so any requests for cabin changes could not be met. I only just realised that we don't seem to see this now. Could it be that most ships are sailing now with unsold cabins.

David

So, in a way, it has become a rarefied experience for those who willfully and eagerly choose it as their preferred option. An otherwise bygone experience to cherish and savor for all the days that it lasts.

Beautifully stated.

A gem of a lady is the Queen Mary 2 and even though I wasn't a 'Grill gal', I felt pampered and appreciated by the staff.

I can't even comprehend the word 'masses' and Queen Mary 2 in the same thought process...it just doesn't compute. :eek:

Archived