Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

Ok folks its been a long amazing day in the Allure, Good news! After dinner we came to our room to find our two bottles waiting for us. We coming back to get the documents to go ask for them, but they were just there waiting.

So yeah now I am here enjoying a drink in my balcony, with they wine i brought.

happy days everyone.

I will write a full review later on when I get home. Look for it.

Thanks for reporting back, this is great news!

Bob

yay for you!! here's hoping that it only takes a week or so for the new policy to filter down to everyone who needs to know.

Clearly, RCI did not do a good job implementing this policy change. I'm sure it will all be worked out before my Allure 25Nov sailing! Thanks to those of you who are paving the way...

No I was not joking. For many on these boards a $25 corkage fee per bottle is a lot of money. Apparently you are fortunate enough that it is not a lot for you. Good for you

Molly:

hate to break the news to you but as I posted earlier in this thread, if you buy wine on board, you've already been paying $25 corkage... :(

From our recent cruise on Explorer - a bottle of wine (Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio) that sells at Total Wine for $14.95 was $45 plus gratuities on board.

for cryin' out loud.. for the Umpteenth time.. the corkage fee is ONLY assessed if you consume IN THE DINING ROOMS.

since the vast majority of us will be CONSUMING IN THE PRIVACY OF OUR CABINS this is a moot point and only worth noting as a piece of interest . it has been stated a bazillion times that pouring yourself a glass and bringing it in to dinner is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE and not against any policy..stated or otherwise.

in other words it will be EXTREMELY easy to avoid the corkage fee with little to no inconvenience at all.

Not only is it acceptable, but encouraged. There is a bar just outside the dining room on the Allure for folks to get a drink and take it to dinner.

M

from a google search:

A corkage fee is charged by a restaurant to patrons bringing their own wines to a meal.

Wine is a major source of markup for restaurants, and loss of wine sales can depress earnings. For this reason, most restaurants charge a corkage fee equivalent to their cheapest bottle, to recoup at least some of the potential lost revenue.

When bringing in outside wines, it is considered common courtesy to offer the waiter, and sommelier, if the restaurant has one, a taste. Usually, the wines that diners bring in are special and unlikely to be on the wine list. Perhaps the dinner is a special event, or the diner has an extensive cellar at home to choose from. Bickering about the corkage fee is considered poor form – accept it with grace and enjoy your meal.

My thoughts:

Corkage fee is just the terminalogy. It's not about whether it's a screw top, corked bottle or mini-bottle, it's about making up for lost revenue when you BYOB.

We go to a BYOB Italian restaurant almost every Saturday night. They are in a dry township and don't have a liquor license. We have often shared our bottle with the owner (offering him a glass) but I didn't know that this was supposed to be a common courtesy. Learn something new every day!

I, for one, am thrilled about the new policy. Hope it doesn't get beat to death and recinded. We'll still be buying the wine package but I'm thrilled that I don't have to smuggle a box of wine in my suitcase any more so I can enjoy a glass of wine in the cabin. :D

Edited by MS52

No need to get testy:rolleyes::eek:

PS I Don't drink wine, won't be bringing any onboard, just making conversation!!

Well Molly if you dont drink wine then perhaps you should hold the harsh comments for a subject you know or are truely interested in.

A corkage fee is industry standard in many establishments.......It's routine and acceptable. Some folk will bring a very expensive vintage wine to their favorate Rest and have the waiter serve it to them and they pay the corkage fee....The waiter is serving them the wine. Same idea in the MDR the waiter serves the wine. Now if you think $25 is too much... Not really your concern because you do not drink wine and will not partake in this process right?:confused::confused::confused:

RCI seems to be responding to many of our complaints. This is a good thing.:)

from a google search:

Wine is a major source of markup for restaurants, and loss of wine sales can depress earnings. For this reason, most restaurants charge a corkage fee equivalent to their cheapest bottle, to recoup at least some of the potential lost revenue.

wow. then I have been grossly overcharged on corkage fees in the past since the least expensive bottle can be as little as $15....( land based restaurants)

also, some finer restaurants will have an arrangement/agreement with local wine sellers, whether it is a winery, or a reseller to forgive the fee. In Monterey and Cannery Row/Fisherman's Wharf this was common when purchasing bottles at Taste of Monterey

for those of you who do not drink wine: then why do you care? let alone make comments about paying fees. some will pay it happily. some won't pay it at all, some will pay it but grouse as they do so. just like every other policy there will be cheerleaders, nay sayers and go with the flow-ers

Ok folks its been a long amazing day in the Allure, Good news! After dinner we came to our room to find our two bottles waiting for us. We coming back to get the documents to go ask for them, but they were just there waiting.

So yeah now I am here enjoying a drink in my balcony, with they wine i brought.

happy days everyone.

I will write a full review later on when I get home. Look for it.

We will be embarking Allure on Sunday with wine tote in hand when you are disembarking. I fully expect the wine to be confiscated, but the upside is they will deliver it to our cabin as they did for you. :D Total Wine here we come!!!

Thanks so much for keeping us informed. Have a GREAT cruise!!

wow. then I have been grossly overcharged on corkage fees in the past since the least expensive bottle can be as little as $15....( land based restaurants)

Can't say that I've seen a wine list with $15 bottles for a long time :o but as you know, it's up to the restaurant as to the amount of the corkage fee.

It just drives me a little crazy (okay, it's not a drive - it's a putt) when someone asks if they can bring their screw top bottle in the MDR and not be charged.

And yeah, the comments from the non wine-drinkers who are just stirring the pot aren't really productive.

I'm just glad you can carry on some wine now. If they want to charge $25 corkage fee, so be it- it's their ball and they make up the rules. I'm not taking my bottle to the MDR, I'm enjoying it on the balcony! I have the wine package to enjoy in the MDR.

Edited by MS52

Seems there is a lot of negativity on here:( when we all should be happy to hear about the new policy change..:D:D:D

Let's forget the rude comments and hear how others fare when they try to bring the wine on.......:)

Email from Royal:

Royal Caribbean (effective 11/01/12) and Celebrity guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.

• Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Email from Royal:

Royal Caribbean (effective 11/01/12) and Celebrity guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.

• Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

I emailed RC last night, still waiting for reply. If I get this same reply, I will print it and take it with me along with my 2 bottles upon embarkation.

It just drives me a little crazy (okay, it's not a drive - it's a putt) when someone asks if they can bring their screw top bottle in the MDR and not be charged.

and last night's white with our cornish game hen was indeed a screw top.

i do, however draw the line at paying a corkage fee of $25 for (three) Buck Chuck. not that I drink that any more....:rolleyes:

Like many of the people who are excited about this new change I fully intend to take advantage for SPECIAL wines that Royal does not have. Trust me I have yet to go thirsty on board and the wine packages are a very good deal if you know what you are doing. this will only enhance my on board experience, not cheat Royal out of my hard earned cash.

Okay, my HUSBAND'S hard earned cash..I don't work.... :cool:

and last night's white with our cornish game hen was indeed a screw top.

Like many of the people who are excited about this new change I fully intend to take advantage for SPECIAL wines that Royal does not have. Trust me I have yet to go thirsty on board and the wine packages are a very good deal if you know what you are doing. this will only enhance my on board experience, not cheat Royal out of my hard earned cash.

Okay, my HUSBAND'S hard earned cash..I don't work.... :cool:

For those reading

1- If you don't get spookwifes postings on this thread then you don't get it and probably never will

2- You don't know a thing about cruising RCI

3- If you looked a gift horse in the mouth you would not have a clue

This thread is about a gift horse from RCI. Cornish hens, YUMMMM

Fellow cruiser just posted on rollcall that Royal has changed its policy and you can now carry two bottles of wine onboard ship for consumption. Subject to a corkage fee of $25 each.

Called RCCL and agent confirmed, policy change went into effect today.

Its great news that Royal has changed their policy, this will gain respect from many loyal Royals who just like having a glass of wine on their balcony.

This might remove the necessity for the dreadful naughty room era, while at the same time bringing RCCL in line with other cruise lines and treating passengers with an adult respect.

This shows once again that Rccl does listen to their customers views, maybe they have been looking at Cruisecritic comments !

Good on you Royal

Pete & Chris

Its great news that Royal has changed their policy, this will gain respect from many loyal Royals who just like having a glass of wine on their balcony.

This might remove the necessity for the dreadful naughty room era, while at the same time bringing RCCL in line with other cruise lines and treating passengers with an adult respect.

This shows once again that Rccl does listen to their customers views, maybe they have been looking at Cruisecritic comments !

Good on you Royal

Pete & Chris

While I share your enthusiasm for the new policy, I just have to burst your bubble on this one point. The policy that RC is adopting has been standard on Celebrity for years -- and their "naughty rooms" still do a booming business! ;)

Email from Royal:

Great news.

That 2 bottle limit is actually 4 bottles total since I doubt it they'll keep tabs on how many bottles have already boarded and my wife will be boarding separately. :D

It also looks like we'll be able to take liquor aboard with us from now on since who's to know what liquid is in each bottle. :)

and last night's white with our cornish game hen was indeed a screw top. :cool:

Absolutely nothing wrong with a screw top. Some of the best winemakers are going to them to reduce spoilage.

(my point was some people are trying to get out of a corkage fee by bringing a screw top :p)

I think we're on the same page with 90% of the posters......grateful that we can now take wine on legitimately.

I know I am going to enjoy my $5 bottle of Verde on my Dec. cruise...and my sister's bottle who is sharing my cabin...and my other sister's who has her own cabin but doesn't drink....:D...now if we only had a balcony to enjoy it on...oh well...3 nts....3 bottles...guess we will make due...

Great news.

That 2 bottle limit is actually 4 bottles total since I doubt it they'll keep tabs on how many bottles have already boarded and my wife will be boarding separately. :D

It also looks like we'll be able to take liquor aboard with us from now on since who's to know what liquid is in each bottle. :)

Come on, people. Royal finally loosens up a bit and right away people are starting to try to find a way to ruin it for the many of us, I included, who smiled at the thought of now being able to just board with one or two nice bottles of wine to enjoy before dinner or before bed out on my own balcony. If they rescind this benefit, you will only have yourselves to blame.