Pinnacle Class Preview?

InTheWASide

Yes, I agree. As much as I think HAL will stick with their traditional design and layout, I'm happy to hear there is talk about them doing something different. I know a lot of people don't want HAL to change, but they have to change to meet the demands of the changing market and appeal to younger cruisers. There is no reason they cannot maintain all the things that make us like them on a modern ship with an updated design.

I agree as well. I'm sure when the Vista class was announced, there were people upset that these new ships were going to be over 34% larger than the then current R-class ships. We all know that cruising is changing - more people today prefer either inside or verandah rooms, with not very many choosing an ocean view. The Vista/Signature design takes advantage of that change more so than the R/S-class ship designs. Plus with a ship, there are some economies of scale with fuel/energy consumption per berth. And as already mentioned, with the new Panamax options available for this ship it open up some different possibilities that HAL previously would not consider (needing to periodically move the ships through the Panama Canal from winter to summer cruising seasons).

Finally, HAL is a business - and a significant portion (I won't even guess at a percentage) of current HAL cruisers/customers will not be sailing with them in 10 years. They have to replace those passengers and continue with a sustainable business model. CCL is going to require a return on their investment with HAL. Pinnacle Class ships represent the future of HAL and what the fleet may look like in 10+ years. I just hope that it is compatible with what I enjoy about HAL. They need to intrigue and entertain the new cruisers, and keep the class and small ship feel that I enjoy.

Just my $0.02

I just disembarked the Eurodam on Saturday. During the Q&A with the captain, chief engineer and hotel manager, the new Pinnacle Class ship was discussed. It will be a complete departure from the current HAL layout and will have a double hull as new regulations will require. Was also told that the S class ships are for sale.

Well, I know I will be in trouble - but the S class are what makes HAL special for me - that's what they had when I started.

I'll sail them while I can and then i will have to do some special consideration as to HAl or otherwise. I love the Tamarind but I will happily exchange that experience to be on the S ships or the prinsendam:D It's only my personal opinion of course =- smooth seas to you all:D

I agree as well. I'm sure when the Vista class was announced, there were people upset that these new ships were going to be over 34% larger than the then current R-class ships. We all know that cruising is changing - more people today prefer either inside or verandah rooms, with not very many choosing an ocean view. The Vista/Signature design takes advantage of that change more so than the R/S-class ship designs. Plus with a ship, there are some economies of scale with fuel/energy consumption per berth. And as already mentioned, with the new Panamax options available for this ship it open up some different possibilities that HAL previously would not consider (needing to periodically move the ships through the Panama Canal from winter to summer cruising seasons).

Finally, HAL is a business - and a significant portion (I won't even guess at a percentage) of current HAL cruisers/customers will not be sailing with them in 10 years. They have to replace those passengers and continue with a sustainable business model. CCL is going to require a return on their investment with HAL. Pinnacle Class ships represent the future of HAL and what the fleet may look like in 10+ years. I just hope that it is compatible with what I enjoy about HAL. They need to intrigue and entertain the new cruisers, and keep the class and small ship feel that I enjoy.

Just my $0.02

I completely and wholeheartedly agree; well said. HAL has to either get with the times OR get out the way so to speak. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to completely and radically change their brand and image but they need to begin to appeal to a broader audience.

Hopefully this piece of garbage will never be a Holland America ship.

Mein-Schiff-3.jpg

I would have to agree. I read your entire thread on the "X" board and you certainly convinced me to avoid the Solstice class ships like the plague. You certainly managed to ruffle some feathers.;)

Spending hours agonizing over which stateroom is the least objectionable is not my idea of a good time. We've done two "X" cruises and although the food was very good, always found the general atmosphere to be a bit pretentious.

So long as Holland ships retain their classic beauty and a full promenade, they've got our business no matter how large the ships get. If HAL were to abandon that concept, our cruising days would be over.

• 4 weeks later...

On our Eastern Caribbean cruise Feb 16-23rd we spoke with Stan Kuppens as part of our CC meet and greet. He answered our questions for about an hour,what a personable man.

This is a summary of what he had to say about the new build-he will be in Venice assisting with it one steel starts being laid as he was with the Eurodam and NA:

-The ship will look exacltly the same as the siganture class externally.

-It will be 30 metres wider and twice as long between the external elevators as the signature class

-the previous interior designer has retired so the interior will obviously have changes.

-the signature class has 8 optional spaces (for example:crow's nest,explorers lounge, Tamarind,Pinnacle,Canaletto) and all will remain and they are going to add 4 new ones for a total of 12 (no hints on the new spaces).He acknowledged the trend toward greater choices.

- additional outlets over the nightables

-an additional light in front of the closets so the closet closest to the bed gets light which it currently does not.

-clocks in the phones like the NA to tell the time

-a brand new ship APP for smart phones and devices that will allow passengers to integrate into the ships hotel and entertainment. For example, port information,deck plans, E-Explorer, restaurant reservations, videos etc. It will not cost anything additional but does not allow for internet useage. That of course will still be additional.

Wait HAL is going to finally adopt technology for guests to use and make their trip better? MIRACLES HAPPEN!

Yes, The App was/is the most exciting part of the chat. I know other lines have a more interactive TV system but from what I heard HAL is jumping right over that technology. I would suspect that it will be back engineered into the signature class ships next once it is test run on the Pinnacle class ship. No hints as to the ship name either.

Yes, The App was/is the most exciting part of the chat. I know other lines have a more interactive TV system but from what I heard HAL is jumping right over that technology. I would suspect that it will be back engineered into the signature class ships next once it is test run on the Pinnacle class ship. No hints as to the ship name either.

HAL's lack of technology is a striking absence every other major line utilizes nicely. Interactive portfolios are a Godsend, and seeing menus on the fly is a magnificent planning tool. I always miss those amenities when sailing HAL.

The sooner they welcome new technology (that is EASY to integrate might I add), the better they'll be in my eyes. :)

On our Eastern Caribbean cruise Feb 16-23rd we spoke with Stan Kuppens as part of our CC meet and greet. He answered our questions for about an hour,what a personable man.

This is a summary of what he had to say about the new build-he will be in Venice assisting with it one steel starts being laid as he was with the Eurodam and NA:

-The ship will look exacltly the same as the siganture class externally.

-It will be 30 metres wider and twice as long between the external elevators as the signature class

-the previous interior designer has retired so the interior will obviously have changes.

-the signature class has 8 optional spaces (for example:crow's nest,explorers lounge, Tamarind,Pinnacle,Canaletto) and all will remain and they are going to add 4 new ones for a total of 12 (no hints on the new spaces).He acknowledged the trend toward greater choices.

- additional outlets over the nightables

-an additional light in front of the closets so the closet closest to the bed gets light which it currently does not.

-clocks in the phones like the NA to tell the time

-a brand new ship APP for smart phones and devices that will allow passengers to integrate into the ships hotel and entertainment. For example, port information,deck plans, E-Explorer, restaurant reservations, videos etc. It will not cost anything additional but does not allow for internet useage. That of course will still be additional.

Sounds amazing.

I HOPE they take a look (and I know they will) at the Royal Princess, at her new spa thermal areas and the Cabanas. HAL did cabanas first, so I sure do hope they do not disapoint.

I know alot of people aren't ok with the size, but heck it will still be smaller than the majority of the other ships at sea.

Disney has phones, I mean PHONES that work ALL OVER THE SHIP and the Private Island!!! I sure wish they would do something like this. Like walkie talkies but better.

NCL is doing something like this APP, but it allows them to use the phone all over the ship to text and I am not sure if call, other phones on the ship with the app, or rooms etc. A better way to communicate on a larger ship will be most helpful.

Sounds amazing.

I HOPE they take a look (and I know they will) at the Royal Princess, at her new spa thermal areas and the Cabanas. HAL did cabanas first, so I sure do hope they do not disapoint.

I know alot of people aren't ok with the size, but heck it will still be smaller than the majority of the other ships at sea.

Disney has phones, I mean PHONES that work ALL OVER THE SHIP and the Private Island!!! I sure wish they would do something like this. Like walkie talkies but better.

NCL is doing something like this APP, but it allows them to use the phone all over the ship to text and I am not sure if call, other phones on the ship with the app, or rooms etc. A better way to communicate on a larger ship will be most helpful.

It is quite possible that I am misreading this post, but if the "phones all over the ship" means cell type phones everywhere, I can only hope this remains with Disney and other "fun" ships. One of the banes of modern society is being a captive audience to intrusive and inane conversations. Spare us, please.

[quote name='jimmy2x']It is quite possible that I am misreading this post, but if the "phones all over the ship" means cell type phones everywhere, I can only hope this remains with Disney and other "fun" ships. One of the banes of modern society is being a captive audience to intrusive and inane conversations. Spare us, please.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]jimmy, sorry but this is just the way of the future. Yes Disney has phones that are cordless phones that you take with you thru out the ship and also works on their private island as well as Norwegian also has it on their newer ships I believe Jewel Pearl Jade Gem and Epic in the Suites only that are also cordless phones. The Epic was the first to have the cell phone app. I can think of many times I was at the Spa in the morning and I get back to the cabin and have no idea where Tom is, having these phones are perfect because if he takes one I can just check to see where he is and see if he wants to head to lunch. Disney was the first to offer this for the whole ship and makes perfect sense with families. I am happy to hear that HAL wants to move forward and not stay behind with technology :) [/SIZE]

Archived