Le Cirque or not to Le Cirque?

Beejay4016

Hi folks. I am really hoping that some people who have sailed very recently can respond to my query here. We are booked on the Volendam, sailing on 7 January out of Singapore. The 17th is my husband's birthday (the reason for this cruise). I tried to book the Pinnacle but discovered that that is the Le Cirque night. Okay, then, that sounded fantastic to me and so I booked for that night. Since then I have read quite a few really damning (should that be damming, ho ho?) comments on the quality of the food on the Le Cirque nights. One reviewer, who otherwise was quite pleased with his recent cruise on the Eurodam, even said that the restaurant manager said those meals are designed to be one hour, start to finish. What??? That's like eating at home, not fine dining. Also, he was told that the food for Le Cirque nights is prepared three days in advance. :confused:

Help, somebody tell me I haven't made a big mistake. I have booked and paid, but if necessary I will cancel for that night and perhaps just have a nice meal on our verandah, or let the MDR staff know it's my man's special birthday and ask for a cake.

Looking forward to your comments.

Le Cirque like any dining experience is going to get very subjective reviews. We have done it several times and enjoyed everyone though some were better then others.

Hi Kirk.

Thanks for your response. That is exactly what I'm hoping for - a mixed reaction. I know everybody has different taste etc, and so I expect reviews to be mixed, but so far I hadn't come across any good ones and that's why I was starting to worry. Did you, like the reviewer I mentioned, feel rushed? I would hate to have to eat and go within an hour, particularly for a special dinner.

Bev

Hi folks. I am really hoping that some people who have sailed very recently can respond to my query here. We are booked on the Volendam, sailing on 7 January out of Singapore. The 17th is my husband's birthday (the reason for this cruise). I tried to book the Pinnacle but discovered that that is the Le Cirque night. Okay, then, that sounded fantastic to me and so I booked for that night. Since then I have read quite a few really damning (should that be damming, ho ho?) comments on the quality of the food on the Le Cirque nights. One reviewer, who otherwise was quite pleased with his recent cruise on the Eurodam, even said that the restaurant manager said those meals are designed to be one hour, start to finish. What??? That's like eating at home, not fine dining. Also, he was told that the food for Le Cirque nights is prepared three days in advance. :confused:

Help, somebody tell me I haven't made a big mistake. I have booked and paid, but if necessary I will cancel for that night and perhaps just have a nice meal on our verandah, or let the MDR staff know it's my man's special birthday and ask for a cake.

My experience is that personally I cannot justify the additional expense.......a night at the Pinnacle or Tamarind is just as good, and cheaper.

My experience is that personally I cannot justify the additional expense.......a night at the Pinnacle or Tamarind is just as good, and cheaper.

Hi,

The Pinnacle is not taking bookings for dinner that evening as it is given over to the Le Cirque dinner. And that is the specific date I wanted as it is my husband's birthday. I'm not even sure whether the Volendam has a Tamarind Restaurant as the only alternative restaurant which shows up is the Pinnacle. I'm sure that the quality of the food varies between vessels and chefs, so perhaps I'm silly to worry.

Cheers.

Hi,

The Pinnacle is not taking bookings for dinner that evening as it is given over to the Le Cirque dinner. And that is the specific date I wanted as it is my husband's birthday. I'm not even sure whether the Volendam has a Tamarind Restaurant as the only alternative restaurant which shows up is the Pinnacle. I'm sure that the quality of the food varies between vessels and chefs, so perhaps I'm silly to worry.

Cheers.

We cruise on the Volendam every Christmas/New Year and have been in the Pinnacle for the Le Cirque night as long as it has been available. We have always enjoyed the meal and the wine matching option. We have never felt rushed.

There is no Tamarind on the Volendam, although there is Canaletto which is Italian themed and encompasses a section of the Lido dining area that is blocked off for the Canaletto dinner service.

Hopefully, you will find enough encouraging remarks to feel comfortable in your decision to dine or not at Le Cirque.

Barb:)

If it's a specia

I loved Le Cirque and cannot wait for it again in just a couple more weeks:) Food is subjective so cannot answer for anyone but myself and to me it is worth every penny!!

As to the 2 comments in your post that I've highlighted........

1. It can take as little as 1 hour, depending upon the server being buisy or not, attentive to you or not, or you letting the server know by your behavior/actions, just how much a hurry you might be in. For example, you keep looking at your watch, or you mention something about a show, performance or other affair you want to attend.. It has taken us anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours depending on what time it was and what plans we had for that evening. Normal for us in any Dining venue on board ship is 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours.

2. Food prepared 3 days in advance:confused: NO WAY!! NO HOW!!!!! I've sat nad chatted for several hours, several times with both the Executive Chefs and Hotel Managers on at least 2 of the HAL ships, and know that the statement made by the reviewer you mentioned is incorrect.

Joanie

We did Le Cirque last January on the Oosterdam and enjoyed the food. We also had several regular dinners at the Pinnacle Grill that cruise.

Le Cirque reminds me of a few higher-end, smaller portion, numerous course, dining experiences we have had ashore. The menu is inventive, almost whimsical; a chance to try some dishes different than the usual choices.

We reserved it again for our upcoming cruise.

Ironically, I was in the same boat last year - I wanted to take DH to the PG for his birthday and it was Le Cirque night:eek: So I booked Le Cirque as DH did not want any singing in the dining room:rolleyes:

Best decision I ever made - it took us more than an hour and we were in no rush - the meal was excellent - we enjoyed it and had fun. btw - the PG Manager knew it was his birthday and brought out the most beautiful cake I have seen in a long, long time (no singing). Not asked for and we were very pleasantly surprised.

I'd recommend it - this review and opinion is subjective - but we enjoyed it. btw - it was on the Prinsendam

Thank you, thank you all; that is exactly what I was hoping would happen: all those positive vibes.The menu sounds so wonderful, and I just love the whole concept of the dinner, and so now I will happily lead my lovely man to the Pinnacle for Le Cirque on his 50th.

Have a great day nice people .. Bev :)

I am not a fan of Le Cirque , I perfer Pinnacle menu, but its still good, also some of the appitizers there are tiny portions, but you can order several appitizers for no extra cost and both Le Cirque and Piinnacle, it normally takes us 2 hours or so for dinner at either.

We've done Le Cirque twice. For my money, it's one of the best values for a great dining experience on a ship.

Re: Food prepared in advance...On our last dinner, I asked if I could look at two of the dessert dishes before ordering. The waiter noted that he couldn't show me the soufflé because it wasn't cooked yet. Went with that...it was very warm and tastie.

P.S. If you order the chateaubriand, have it cooked medium rare. We've had it both medium and medium rare, and you get the full flavor and buttery texture when it's medium rare.

IMO the Le Cirque evening is far superior to a regular Pinnacle evening.

The food quality is much higher, as is the service. The lobster salad to

start is worth the whole night. The lamb is twice as good as the regular

Pinnacle menu as well. To me it's a no brainer, do it.

JC:D

We have done Le Cirque many times on different Hal ships. Food is subjective but on the whole we've enjoyed our meals. There are somethings on the menu we like more then others but I don't think you can go wrong eating in the Pinnacle on that night. Happy Birthday to your DH and if you tell them it is your DH's birthday they will make a cake for him. :)

I am not a fan of Le Cirque , I perfer Pinnacle menu, but its still good, also some of the appitizers there are tiny portions, but you can order several appitizers for no extra cost and both Le Cirque and Piinnacle, it normally takes us 2 hours or so for dinner at either.

I too did not care for either the le cirque menu or the food more hype than substance... very limited menu compared with others Go with the pinnacles if you can you will enjoy it far more the far less....

Talk to the Pinnacles mgr and arrange a birthday dinner... which they wont do in the Le Cirque night...too structured and limited to allow that.

I too did not care for either the le cirque menu or the food more hype than substance... very limited menu compared with others Go with the pinnacles if you can you will enjoy it far more the far less....

Talk to the Pinnacles mgr and arrange a birthday dinner... which they wont do in the Le Cirque night...too structured and limited to allow that.

:confused::confused: not sure what a 'birthday dinner" is but as I reported we had dinner at Le Cirque for DH's birthday and it was very nice - PLUS an absolutely beautiful cake:D:D I remember an extra treat as well which was NOT on the menu:):)

Hi Beejay 4016 !

I also tried «Le Cirque» and I receive one of my best service and food in my life !!! I live in Quebec city and I know about good «cuisine» as well. I travel a lot and I can confirm you : Le Cirque is a very good choice !

Holacanada

Again, many thanks to everybody for their kind contributions. I now feel really excited about the evening and am so looking forward to some of those dishes. If the helpings are small, that's exactly what we like - we both prefer small serves rather than plates piled up with food so that you feel full before you even take your first bite.

I look forward to raving about the experience post-cruise.

Cheers ... Bev :)

Like most of the previous posters DH and I thoroughly enjoyed Le Cirque on our recent Zuiderdam cruise. The atmosphere, the superior service and the excellent food combined to make a most enjoyable evening. I hope you and your husband enjoy your dinner.

I would definitely have your husband's 50th birthday dinner at Le Cirque, it is a wonderful dining experience.

It is easily a 2 to 3 hour affair, if you take the time to enjoy the evening, i.e. appetizer, soup, salad, entree, desert, coffee and various drinks!

I would also suggest that you book the Pinnacle Grill for dinner at least one night in addition to your Le Cirque night. Again, you will not be disapointed. Remember, the portions are small, sometimes lookig like "diet size portions" on television sitcom ( hehe ), but you can order as many starters, appetizers, salads, soups or deserts that you would like. Only the main entree is restricted to one, so enjoy and be adventurous!

The extra charges for Le Cirque ($39.00) and the Pinnacle Grill $25.00) are well worth it. Dinner at Le Cirque in New York could easily cost hundreds of dollars, $39.00 is a bargain.

soccer

We have done Le Cirque many times on different Hal ships. Food is subjective but on the whole we've enjoyed our meals. There are somethings on the menu we like more then others but I don't think you can go wrong eating in the Pinnacle on that night. Happy Birthday to your DH and if you tell them it is your DH's birthday they will make a cake for him. :)

On my man's behalf, thank you. :)

Like most of the previous posters DH and I thoroughly enjoyed Le Cirque on our recent Zuiderdam cruise. The atmosphere, the superior service and the excellent food combined to make a most enjoyable evening. I hope you and your husband enjoy your dinner.

Thank you - I'm sure we will. :)

I would definitely have your husband's 50th birthday dinner at Le Cirque, it is a wonderful dining experience.

It is easily a 2 to 3 hour affair, if you take the time to enjoy the evening, i.e. appetizer, soup, salad, entree, desert, coffee and various drinks!

I would also suggest that you book the Pinnacle Grill for dinner at least one night in addition to your Le Cirque night. Again, you will not be disapointed. Remember, the portions are small, sometimes lookig like "diet size portions" on television sitcom ( hehe ), but you can order as many starters, appetizers, salads, soups or deserts that you would like. Only the main entree is restricted to one, so enjoy and be adventurous!

The extra charges for Le Cirque ($39.00) and the Pinnacle Grill $25.00) are well worth it. Dinner at Le Cirque in New York could easily cost hundreds of dollars, $39.00 is a bargain.

soccer

Thanks for those thoughts - I am sure now that it will be a great night. Actually, the 10th is the anniversary of the day on which we met, so that might be the time to enjoy a Pinnacle dinner.

Re the smaller portions, that suits us fine. We are both real Francophiles and we love the French way of dining with small serves but a few of them, always leaving you wanting more. One of our favourite restaurants here is a French restaurant where there is usually an amuse bouche of a mushroom soup with a balsamic reduction and it is so good you wish you had a bucketful instead of a tiny shotglass, but the flavour lingers in your mind forever and the tiny portion makes it even more special. And then the chef will follow that with a beautiful piece of quail with shaved truffle - again tiny, but ... oh goodness, I just want to grab my handbag and rush off there now.

Cheers .. Bev

Archived