*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

The WORST is when you take the Beltway and get stuck in traffic. You just keep thinking: I PAID FOR THIS!!!

:eek::eek: As I said, last time we took Beltway east but before that took Hardy Toll Road to the Beltway so we avoided lots of traffic and Beltway traffic was extremely light even mid-day. So that's what we'll do next time too:D

So is the beltway the same thing as the Sam Houston Tollway?

Thanks for letting me know that the toll tag works on any Tollway in Texas.

I decided to apply for one today. Tyler has a new toll road and my sister lives there. I received a bill for about $2.50 and didn't get it paid in time so they charged me a $15 late fee!!! Shhhh, don't tell my husband.

I'd just come down I-45 straight through town. If you can avoid rush hour, you'll be golden (6-9am, 4-7pm). If not, I think it's still faster to take I-45 and just suffer in the traffic. The WORST is when you take the Beltway and get stuck in traffic. You just keep thinking: I PAID FOR THIS!!!

Agree stinks to get stuck and pay...had it happen a few times.

On Friday I'd make sure I was thru town on I45 by 1pm since a lot of oil company folks get off early on Fridays and many head for Galveston so star traffic heading South on 45 on Friday afternoon. I'd still cut thru town if it were me...def if you use BW8 go East as west side gets clogged up often on Friday afternoons.

It has been a while since I was here. We will be boarding the Navigator in the morning for the spring break cruise. We have been cruising a lot with Norwegian lately as RCL has priced them selves out of the market for us as well as the port line up has not matched NCL either. Competition is good for business. We will be on NCL this summer in Alaska B to B and on NCL out of Houston at Thanksgiving and Spring Break next year. We really got a great deal on this cruise tomorrow as they chose the wrong date to jack up for Spring Break and we pounced before they figured it out. :D RCL is such a fine cruise line, but they are moving away from us i am afraid.

So is the beltway the same thing as the Sam Houston Tollway?

Yes, for all practical purposes, it is, Beltway-8.

https://www.hctra.org/downloadable_systemMap/downloadable_systemMap.html

https://www.ntta.org/custinfo/tolltag/Pages/default.aspx

Your TollTag BenefitsSave time and money with your TollTag, and receive the following value over the ZipCash pay-by-mail option:

• Automatic payment on any toll road in Texas

Edited by pspercy

We have taken every route from I10 including some really stupid ones through Sugarland on Hwy 6 over to I45 to try and save time and money(big mistake), we have come out about the same staying on I45 and have beat friends on the tollway and didn't have to throw coins. Yes, traffic is stressful, but it's stressful no matter where you encounter it. Now we just go through downtown and try to get through as early as possible.:D

I found taking the eastern tollway circuit had light traffic but also going over the Houston Ship Channel bridge etc really drove home just how huge is the Port of Houston, not just the petrochemical side but the whole thing, most interesting:)

I guess it'll get even bigger when the new Panama Canal is operational.

I found taking the eastern tollway circuit had light traffic but also going over the Houston Ship Channel bridge etc really drove home just how huge is the Port of Houston, not just the petrochemical side but the whole thing, most interesting:)

I guess it'll get even bigger when the new Panama Canal is operational.

Good point...that's a fairly tall bridge but not tall enough for a cruise shop to pass under...

One nice thing about BW8 is you end up South of the snarl at 45 and 610.

Wonder why NOS didn't turn this morning. It's back to back with Magic

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

I wondered the same thing. I think the last time I saw an RCI ship not turn in Galveston was back when the Voyager was here.

I may be optical, but both ships, compared to the light color 4 story building in the foreground makes the ship look massive. They are big, but the view makes them look even bigger.

Often times they will not turn is they are running a few minutes late, easy to make up that scheduled time once they leave port. Also works well for those disembarking, saves that extra 15 minutes once the ship is cleared and the masses begin the trek home.

I wondered the same thing. I think the last time I saw an RCI ship not turn in Galveston was back when the Voyager was here.

Hey may have needed to do something to that side of the ship while in port today.

Apparently the new Cruise Cam is manned. :eek: Not sure I like that. Can't see Navigator after Magic moves out of the way anymore.

Also, I can't make a good time lapse with a camera that's moving around and zoomed into the balconies. Oh well, my time lapse software is throwing a fit anyway.

Edited by Texas Teen

We are on navigator and it's pea soup fog.. 6 am and no update from the captain.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I heard yesterday that fog was in the forecast. Good luck to all who have flights and those waiting to board. We had that problem three weeks ago. :eek:

Leaving in a week and not seeing any improvement in conditions. :( I suspect the fog might be a factor next week as well unless a warm front surprises. I know fog is a risk in January and February but mid March? Winter just does not want to call it a season.

That said, I sailed out of Baltimore on a very cold day wearing a jacket and still enjoying sail away. Get me on board and I will be happy no matter the temperature!

heck, any of us could guess. But, does anyone know, with certainty, what the cruising speed of Navigator is until the have dropped the pilot and reach the outer marker? 4 knots? 6 knots?

When she came in with the pilot two weeks ago she was doing 9 knots according to the marine tracking site. Of course she would have slowed down to make the turn. So your guess has to be about right. :)