*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

The news sounds less sure of when port may open. I figure someone could call the USGC folks who control the channel and ask when it may be open.

Ch13 was specific in saying the port is not closed! The ships just can't sail around the spill so no traffic is allowed to move.

Wonder how much of the oil will float vs staying below the surface as it's bottom of barrel oil. Only slightly more refined than what blew out of Mocondo well.

That's the problem as it will sink, coating the bottom of the sea bed:(

Really a mess as it impacts commercial shipping.

I assume those in port will still be charged the extended dockage fee which can really add up.

Ch13 was specific in saying the port is not closed! The ships just can't sail around the spill so no traffic is allowed to move.

If ships can't sail around, then the port is closed to incoming and outgoing traffic.

Just semantics:)

ABC 13 rarely reports accurate info about Galveston. Have given up on them:rolleyes:

If ships can't sail around, then the port is closed to incoming and outgoing traffic.

Just semantics:)

ABC 13 rarely reports accurate info about Galveston. Have given up on them:rolleyes:

That thought has crossed my mind. I think it's a non issue for Princess as I believe the deal was no dockage fees for a couple of years at POH. Now if I was ready to sail at 1800utc yesterday with my tanker of refined products off to Florida or some other exotic destination and am now paying thousands of extra dock fees and am now all off schedule I'd be unhappy. (Have to ask friends wife if going after Kirby and the other ship involved may cover some of the extra costs their crash caused. She is Maritime attorney.)

Also think of the more limited beverage list for those on Princess and how that probably has some folks getting upset.

Oh well, here we are just waiting. I got late checkout. Wondering how long you wait to book tonight if needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ship are you sailing out?

I bet if it does not come I the hotel will have a room for you as likely some are held for those on incoming ship.

I am on the NOS now. We were the early group to leave, so our cabins have been cleaned. They let us back in, and we are just relaxing. The captain did announce the oil spill as an issue too. He is waiting to hear from the port.

DH and I were just talking about this trip and the fact that we really don't care about what time we board, only that we get on board! LOL... we both need some time away! Heck I would be fine with hanging in port... just so long as I don't have to cook or make beds. ;)

We also are hoping that this doesn't turn off my dad and step mom to cruising. This is their first time. So far they have been impressed that RCCI called to give updates...

The kids have been begging to just wear there swim suits under their clothes so that they can swim as soon as they get on board. I'm thinking it's gonna be a bit cool.

Which got me to thinking... what is the first thing that you like to do once you get on board?

Per Channel 13 just now, Coast Guard will not have an update until at least 10 am on options for cruise ships waiting to dock at the Port of Galveston.

We just saw that too. I have to say that it sounded like the cruise ships are at the low end of the priority list (as they should be) but it's still a bit frustrating to sit and wait

DH and I were just talking about this trip and the fact that we really don't care about what time we board, only that we get on board! LOL... we both need some time away! Heck I would be fine with hanging in port... just so long as I don't have to cook or make beds. ;)

We also are hoping that this doesn't turn off my dad and step mom to cruising. This is their first time. So far they have been impressed that RCCI called to give updates...

The kids have been begging to just wear there swim suits under their clothes so that they can swim as soon as they get on board. I'm thinking it's gonna be a bit cool.

Which got me to thinking... what is the first thing that you like to do once you get on board?

My wife and I usually drop off our carry on bags in the cabin and stow our valuables in the cabin safe. Then we head to the pool deck and get adult beverages. :) We generally are not fans of fighting crowds at the Windjammer. I would love some hot tub time but agree the weather might be a bit cool for that. We meander over to find our table in the main dining room at some point as well. I generally do not really explore the ship until the next sea day. Generally, we just take it easy and enjoy the fact we have arrived on board and no further travel is needed. We are finally on board!

We just saw that too. I have to say that it sounded like the cruise ships are at the low end of the priority list (as they should be) but it's still a bit frustrating to sit and wait

They are big and push a lot of water as they cut through the channel so cleaning up the spilled oil is important before other ships sail by and push loose oil further around clean up area. Stinks big time for pax on cruises. Makes a huge mess for container and other ship schedules too. Usually the pilots give preference to cruise ships getting the, in after fog which is nice but with an oil spill who knows how it will play out.

Actually, cruise ships get priority.

I say again, 13 does not accurately report around Galveston. Most is supposition.

I am sailing today on Navigator but oil spills this size are no minor deal. I am fine with delays in order to ensure proper containment and clean up to protect the environment longer term. I might not want this situation but it has happened and safe clean up is the correct priority. Stuff happens. I prefer not to stress.

I say again, 13 does not accurately report around Galveston. Most is supposition.

Or anywhere else!:rolleyes: I'm finding most news channels to be supposition, sensationalism, and nonsense these days. I'm sure it's even worse for you in Galveston than it is here in Houston.

I am sailing today on Navigator but oil spills this size are no minor deal. I am fine with delays in order to ensure proper containment and clean up to protect the environment longer term. I might not want this situation but it has happened and safe clean up is the correct priority. Stuff happens. I prefer not to stress.

You have a great attitude! I hope you end up having a great cruise!:)

or anywhere else!:rolleyes: I'm finding most news channels to be supposition, sensationalism, and nonsense these days. I'm sure it's even worse for you in galveston than it is here in houston.

you have a great attitude! I hope you end up having a great cruise!:)

like button!

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

They did say there was a CCL ship affected and missed the other two ships affected and forgot one was already at Bayport....but then again one anchor on 11 for years talks about how firefighters wear oxygen bottles into fires...hope not

How terrible.

We leave on Navigator a week from today with four couples. For one, this will be their first cruise. I hope this does not get their spirits down.

For those waiting to board and/or depart...enjoy your cruise!

They did say there was a CCL ship affected and missed the other two ships affected and forgot one was already at Bayport....but then again one anchor on 11 for years talks about how firefighters wear oxygen bottles into fires...hope not

When you consider that most of the reporters are from out of State and have not researched the area, it is astounding they even know they are in Texas, not alone the Gulf Coast:rolleyes:

Sometimes I just cringe with what they come up with to fill in time:confused:

Much easier when like you sitting in own home waiting is possible. I feel most for those with upcoming checkout times at hotels unwilling to give a late checkout and those stuck offshore missing flights.

From video of crash it sure seems one of the pilots or vessel captains really messed up and the effects are wide reaching. Not only for ship pax but also crew due to crew change off cruise ships and even the cargo ships...folks who have been away for weeks or months ready to go home stuck on ship longer than planned....

When you consider that most of the reporters are from out of State and have not researched the area, it is astounding they even know they are in Texas, not alone the Gulf Coast:rolleyes:

Sometimes I just cringe with what they come up with to fill in time:confused:

Some mistakes they constantly repeat just shock me...yes Texas related as well at O2 into a fire. One day I may call Greg and ask home to carry an O2 bottle into a fire to see what happens.

Only a bit of research on a story would lead to better reporting often...such as cruise terminals and ships affected. Sad a reporter thinks CCL is the only game in the region.

Much easier when like you sitting in own home waiting is possible. I feel most for those with upcoming checkout times at hotels unwilling to give a late checkout and those stuck offshore missing flights.

From video of crash it sure seems one of the pilots or vessel captains really messed up and the effects are wide reaching. Not only for ship pax but also crew due to crew change off cruise ships and even the cargo ships...folks who have been away for weeks or months ready to go home stuck on ship longer than planned....

Agreed. It is easier. But then it easier to be onshore waiting to get on then on the ship waiting to get off. I was in Vegas and our flight got cancelled and there were no flights out that day. So we went back to our hotel and had to wait four hours for a room. We just checked our bags at the desk and went out and about. I assume folks can do the same even if they cannot stay in the room. Not a great solution but will work. What I would not do is head to port because of a checkout time and wait in a very long line. Even a motel lobby is more comfortable then that choice.