*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Galveston people -- or anyone, really -- I'm looking for suggestions for a one-night pre cruise stay. My first choice would be the Tremont, but they don't take one-night reservations, at least not this far (5 weeks) in advance. I prefer old and charming to new and cookie-cutter, Strand/Harbor area to Seawall, and I'm not opposed to a B&B or a small inn.

Since I live in Houston, obviously a hotel night isn't required. However, a cousin from Boston is competing in the Ironman triathlon on Sunday, and we'd like to spend some time with him on Saturday and watch the first part of the race Sunday before we board the ship. I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Galveston people -- or anyone, really -- I'm looking for suggestions for a one-night pre cruise stay. My first choice would be the Tremont, but they don't take one-night reservations, at least not this far (5 weeks) in advance. I prefer old and charming to new and cookie-cutter, Strand/Harbor area to Seawall, and I'm not opposed to a B&B or a small inn.

Since I live in Houston, obviously a hotel night isn't required. However, a cousin from Boston is competing in the Ironman triathlon on Sunday, and we'd like to spend some time with him on Saturday and watch the first part of the race Sunday before we board the ship. I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Cindy, I don't know if you called them or not but I have heard in the past that sometimes if you call them they will allow you to book one night. Just a thought!

Cindy, there many places, but not sure about the one night rental. Try some of the websites like Trip Advisor, HomeAway, RentAlo and Galveston.com for accommodations. You will have to call regarding the one night rental, but I do believe some B&B's will accept.

We love the Galvez, and always just do one night. Of course that's seawall...

Cindy. Try google condo rentals in Galveston...I did a could weeks ago looking for a particular complex to get info and found many options around the isle. Several near port were two night min but many others offered single nights

Wondering if morning brings icy roads or not, and with them cancelled school. Tomorrow is Spring concert at THR...supposed to be in courtyard but likely in cafeteria with the cold temps.

Hello CC family! I have a question that has likely been asked a gazillion times, but this is for a Saturday morning disembarkation....

I just booked on Navigator for May4-10. I would really like to make a 11:30am non-stop flight at IAH on disembarkation day. I'm hiring private car/limo service, hoping to self-disembark, be in the car by 8am, and at IAH by 9:30am on the Saturday morning. Am I crazy to attempt this?

My next IAH choice would be 3:30pm, so is there anywhere I may store my luggage for a few hours that Saturday morning so that we can stroll around town? Other than this idea, RCL does offer a tour to the Space Center and then IAH drop-off for flights after 3pm... have any of you done this?

Thx in advance for your thoughts on this

That is a tight time frame!

you need:

Ship to dock on time

Customs to clear the ship quickly

Customs and Immigration to be fully staffed

Customs and Immigration to be quick

On I-45, no accidents....please note, Houston drivers consider a turn signal a sign of cowardice....and this stretch of I-45 is often mistaken for a bumper car ride at an amusement park.

Good luck!

Hoopsters, there is no way I would book that early a flight from IAH. I believe the day following the 6 night is a one day/night for invited guests, such as TA's, to show off the "new" ship.

I understand they are doing a one night, at the pier, travel agent, travel writer program..

As my wife says, I am often wrong....Corrections?

Ahh...that makes sense. Maybe give TA's a look-see to make a push for the Navigator to ensure the ship is full over the summer since this is the first summer RCCL has had a ship in Galveston for in a while. Thanks!

Won't be having to contend with anyone disembarking when we are getting on the Navigator on Sunday! Cool.

Edited by denamo

Ahh...that makes sense. Maybe give TA's a look-see to make a push for the Navigator to ensure the ship is full over the summer since this is the first summer RCCL has had a ship in Galveston for in a while. Thanks!

Won't be having to contend with anyone disembarking when we are getting on the Navigator on Sunday! Cool.

Sunday, March 2nd, was the day the TA's were invited for a look-see and lunch aboard Navigator!

That is a tight time frame!

I took your advice as well as a few others on other threads... booked the later flight. Thx, I appreciate your input :)

If I get to the Galveston pier early on embarkation morning, say 9am, do you know if the porters outside of the pier will take my luggage for check-in so that I may walk around town for a couple of hours until check-in?

I took your advice as well as a few others on other threads... booked the later flight. Thx, I appreciate your input :)

If I get to the Galveston pier early on embarkation morning, say 9am, do you know if the porters outside of the pier will take my luggage for check-in so that I may walk around town for a couple of hours until check-in?

That may be a little early, think we left ours around 9:30 once-- they didn't want to take it but they did, had to set it off to the side. We got it ok. Try it, all they can do is say no, then just wait until they will take it, couldn't be more than a 45 min wait.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I have a question for all of you Houstonians and Galvestonians. We are sailing Navigator March 30th but plan on driving early on Friday from DFW area to League City to stay at South Shore Harbour and do the San Jacinto thing on Sat. The last two times we drove to Galveston, we took the Sam Houston tollway West to bypass I45. Should we do the same or take the tollway East to League City? Is it completely open now? Do we have to have toll tags? Thanks!

On a Saturday or Sunday we've just stayed on I45 thru' Houston without problems.

Last time we took the Sam Houston tollway east all the way to I45. It's a bit shorter. I believe if you don't have tolltags they'll bill you altho' technically it's a violation.

DFW area tolltags also work in Houston.

I'd just come down I-45 straight through town. If you can avoid rush hour, you'll be golden (6-9am, 4-7pm). If not, I think it's still faster to take I-45 and just suffer in the traffic. The WORST is when you take the Beltway and get stuck in traffic. You just keep thinking: I PAID FOR THIS!!!