Celebrity reflection transatlantic cruise

Boltonboys

Overcrowding is taking place! Bars are full with members trying to take advantage of their benefits and staff unable to cope in the 2 hrs given . The staff are on the ship and would be a better answer for them and their guest.

I wonder if the real problem is that Celebrity's formula that 10 credits = "ELITE" was too generous and too easy to achieve.

Added to this, the reciprocity with RCI.

They are giving away too much perhaps for too little loyalty and past revenue, and too much is now expected/demanded. Sail as a third pax on a handful of short Caribbeans in Concierge for $300 each time, and suddenly you are an "Elite"... Maybe that why there are hundreds of "Elites" on your ship...we just did Suez on Solstice and there were something like 500 "Elites"..that is more than one sixth of the ship...

There's multiple wars going on in the world right now. People are dying. People are starving. People have no where to go and are hanging on to hope with everything they've got.

Last year I was introduced to cruising, and then after cruise number 2, the whole experience left me stressed and put a big, fat dent in my wallet. We get so emotional on these blogs about a stupid cruise ship and seem to lose sight of what's really important in life.

Next year, I'm going to donate my vacation money to help those in need and I'll spend time with my family at home. I know I'll feel so much better about myself, and I won't have the worries I've had thinking about cruise ships and hotels and airfares and 50 pound luggage and excursions and beverage packages.

PS: These blogs are depressing. :(

What you are saying is quite true about state of world, but engaging in the world also possibly means bringing revenue to places where people are poor, helping develop revenue/infrastructure...Tourism can bring peace if some of the "ugly tourists" tone it down a bit...A place like Egypt can elevate standard of living for so many if tourism increases, etc...Look at Dubai for example...

Careful thought along those lines may help you navigate the dilemma you have encountered.

They will flame you here for what you said, and I agree with some posters that your post is a bit of an anomaly for intent of this board.

However my own experience with MANY on these boards is their concern for the world and others ends at the tip of their own noses.

Learned that when I dared to state on CruiseCritic that because crew comes from places in the world where many are hungry and because we believe it is wrong to waste food, we are careful to order only what we think we can eat. Had the teflon on and was prepared. : ) Too often see plates loaded with food at buffet that had a fork dipped in it and person departed and watch a crewmember from Haiti picking it up to throw it out. And then people wonder why we get labelled "ugly" by so many in the world.

Mid road maybe....Consider if part of govt tax/port fees for the trip helps build schools, or your visit to a shop in Barbados helps feed a family, or Egyptian leaders fight against the Islamic fascists that want to blow up the pyramids for their crazy notion of God because it will keep tourism and development from happening and therefore keep country standard of living of low. etc...

Happy Thanksgiving...

After reading the OP's last few posts, I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. Attitude goes a long way in life. Also, I agree with the amount given as a refund based on accommodations booked. This is the way that RCI does it also.

Sounds like the issues stem from too many Elite guests on board. A monster that Celebrity will need to handle in the future.

I also do not look at Celebrity as a five star line. They are a mass market premium line.

I am amazed at the rumors and armchair experts on this post!

I was on the cruise when the problem arose with the engines. To say that there was no communication by the captain is just false. The captain announced that an alarm light had warned them of a problem and as a precaution they had to slow down. The consequent of this were that we missed the port stop in Rhodes. No compensation was offered - but our port fees of $11 were returned). So to get back $150 is a major bonus for those who missed Tenerife.

The reality was that we were still able to sail at between 18 and 19 knots - I checked it regularly on the instateroom tv. At no stage was there any safety issues. The captain stated this and reiterated it several times over the few days. So all this talk of the dangers of making a crossing in the winter are pure nonsense.

Also, there was NO Norovirus onboard!

With regard to the Elite lounge - on the pre-TA cruise (the one I just left) the Sky lounge was packed every night. I would have gladly welcomed vouchers that entitled me to drinks elsewhere. It would have been great to be able to go to ANY bar at ANY time and hand in the vouchers for the free drinks. However, I can appreciate that some people like to go to the actual lounge for the daily get-together.

At all times I found the staff to be very professional and very capable. Contrary to some of the comments - it is my belief that for the launch of a new ship they do not fill it with inexperienced staff. The reality is that the staff were the best in their respective areas and are brought in from the various ships to help debut the new ship.

My ONE complaint is that I had to leave the ship in Barcelona - I just wish I was still onboard for the TA :D

At the moment it s worse than the Zenith!!!

Customer service is dire

No elite lounge as too many members onboard and not seen the captains host once!! Only 3 drinks per night allowed as they have decided to give vouchers.

25 min wait eat evening to get into blue ( total waste of money as they have added so many table that it like sitting in a cafeteria ) all suite guest are also allowed to dine with out any charge.

Officers agree there are issues and Miami is investigating.

Carole, I would be honored to travel with you, anytime. :-)

At the moment it s worse than the Zenith!!!

Customer service is dire

No elite lounge as too many members onboard and not seen the captains host once!! Only 3 drinks per night allowed as they have decided to give vouchers.

25 min wait eat evening to get into blue ( total waste of money as they have added so many table that it like sitting in a cafeteria ) all suite guest are also allowed to dine with out any charge.

Officers agree there are issues and Miami is investigating.

...and I feel fine." I just LOVE that song! :rolleyes:

By the way... just how many FREE drinks per night do you feel entitled to? :confused:

I will respond if you want to make comments otherwise don't join the forum

The answer is very simple open two lounges one for first sitting guests 4 till 6 and 6.30 till 8.30 for 2 sitting guest. Don't insult me with a voucher I not on a fair ground ride . It's supposed to be a 5 star ship. Use my sea pass as recognition not a coupon that I would use at a supermarket .

Sorry after 35 cruises the captain club host has alway been in the lounges with the guest and many I'm really good friend with. If your happy to see them in their office that's your choice!

Yes I do go to some smart cafes

Some Elites ARE more Elite than others! Just ask, and they'll tell you. :eek:

Sometimes you don't even have to ask. :rolleyes:

And here I thought Orwell was writing a ficticious story about animals on a farm. :D SILLY ME :o

The answer is very simple open two lounges one for first sitting guests 4 till 6 and 6.30 till 8.30 for 2 sitting guest.

Sorry that will not work. The shows for late seating guests are at 7:00 PM. Therefore we would not be able to utilize the lounge. Love the time they have it now 5-7. Works just fine.

Every cruise I have done the pools have been open as I always pack my swim shorts in my hand luggage so I can use the facilities once onboard.

Wife and I are always prepared to enjoy the un-crowded pools on day 1....

But we've only been on 3 Disney and 16 RCCL cruises....

Maybe it is different on Celebrity ships....I hope not because we're on the Eclipse Dec 1st.....

As I've said before, we were on the eclipse TA with the coupons and we were consistently offered unused coupons by those leaving for dinner....it just wasn't a real problem and no matter how much we drank at the "party", we always had an extra coupon for a glass of wine to take with us to dinner. All the venues are busy from 5-6 and then they are all relatively empty since many leave for early seating. OK...we went to michael's club at 5:50 each night and had our choice of seats. Ditto in any of the other bars. The captain's club hostess circulated between all of the bars..smiling because that's really all she can do at any event.

I think the reflection may have some problems with Aqua...they may not have added enough tables for the aqua passengers. On our recent eclipse TA, no suite passengers were admitted until just before 8PM on any night...and I personally saw a few turned away earlier. If the reflection blu folks were letting suite passengers in during peak times, that would be a problem. Suite passengers should not expect to eat in Blu before 8:00pm.

While we were in aqua and ate breakfast mostly in Blu, we did go to the elite breakfast a few days for some good coffee. While we never found a table for 2, we had no trouble finding a couple of seats with others and had some nice chats over coffee. That could be a problem for some...hey, you can always go to the main dining room for breakfast.

As far as officers circulating at the captains club drinking fest each night, they circulated thru the other bars where folks congregated. There really are only three bars if the weather is cool or damp so sit can get tight. When you can sit on deck, there are at least three more bars where you can sip a (free) drink.

I think that if rational people give the coupons a chance, they'll find they work just fine....we didn't like them at first, but once we figure out when to arrive, it worked out just fine.

Final comment on Blu....depending on the passengers, blu can get very backed up at 6:45 to 7:30. The first diners tend to leave around 7:15...if you arrive before then, there probably will be a wait because the early eaters have all the tables. After 7:15, it starts to open up but since that's a popular hour (after all, if you wanted to eat earlier or later, you could have just signed up for the MDR fixed seatings) there may well be a short wait. We have never had a problem asking the maitre d' to come get us in the ensemble bar when a table is ready.

Just my 2 cents...

Boltonboys posts convey an atmosphere of passengers ready to mutiny if they don't receive more vouchers or one-on-one time with the officers!

A few years ago, we experienced a scenario onboard Mercury that sounded similar. We were cruising back from the So. Pacific (Tahiti) and were supposed to stop at one of the smaller islands. Due to tide issues, the tenders could not be utilized. The Captain announced that ALL bar facilities would be open and would be free of charge.

A very ugly scene started. You'd think that passengers had never seen a drink before. They literally charged to bars and demanded more than one drink at a time. We left the areas. And we were given a very generous OBC as well. It wasn't warranted. These issues occur, and passengers shouldn't expect compensation, nor demand anything.

If we are becoming a civilization of "entitlement", then it's time for change.

Boltonboys posts convey an atmosphere of passengers ready to mutiny if they don't receive more vouchers or one-on-one time with the officers!

The first night of coupons on the eclipse TA was pretty much as you describe....there were many unhappy folks, me included. Once Celebrity increased the coupons to three and got rid of trivial pursuit in the sky lounge, things calmed down...and I think most all, including me, found that the coupons worked just fine....they were just different. I wasn't sure what would happen if I wanted a fourth drink, but someone always offered extra coupons as they were leaving so it was effectively a non problem. We did take advantage of being able to bring a (free) glass of wine to the dining room...a nice plus.

The first night of coupons on the eclipse TA was pretty much as you describe....there were many unhappy folks, me included. Once Celebrity increased the coupons to three and got rid of trivial pursuit in the sky lounge, things calmed down...and I think most all, including me, found that the coupons worked just fine....they were just different. I wasn't sure what would happen if I wanted a fourth drink, but someone always offered extra coupons as they were leaving so it was effectively a non problem. We did take advantage of being able to bring a (free) glass of wine to the dining room...a nice plus.

ghstudio, just to say that having read your initial posts about the vouchers (the first report of them I think) and not being happy with them you have now adopted a very reasonable attitude.

Phil

Can I jump in with a quick question regarding the vouchers please? We normally tip in the elite lounge at the end of the cruise, but as we might not be in the same bar every night, how do you handle the tips? Give every night?

Jumping in tho we are not on Reflection until April TA east bound. We have always tipped every night in Elite Lounge. Will do the same in April.

I do have a ? about vouchers. Are they limited to a cetain amount? Can you "upgrade" them for a more expensive drink?

Rory's last name is Bolton. Hmm, wonder if there is any relation? Maybe I could get some of that "Elite" status with perks? :-D :-P

(for those who haven't read other posts of mine, Rory is my bf who is an entertainer on board the Reflection.)

Hehehehe...

Jumping in tho we are not on Reflection until April TA east bound. We have always tipped every night in Elite Lounge. Will do the same in April.

I do have a ? about vouchers. Are they limited to a cetain amount? Can you "upgrade" them for a more expensive drink?

They are only good for specific drinks on the elite menu. They have no value if you want something else

I can understand your concerns regarding Blu,as dining in Blu

is one of the best if not the best Perk for booking Aqua.

Suites should IMHO not be allowed to dine in Blu free gratis.

Blu was designed and has capacity for Aqua guests with an extra

100+ passengers looking to dine there each night no wonder

It is full beyond capacity making for a less than expected dining experience. :D:cool:

Someone onboard Reflection said that Suite guests (unless AQU Suites) are in fact being turned away from BLU because there is no room.

Archived