Celebrity reflection transatlantic cruise

Boltonboys

Well this is our 35 cruise and so far the worst ever .

Boarding yesterday was a total disaster , 90 min wait just to get to the checkin desk!!! Not an officer to be see working the queues or apologising for the wait. The only thing they were interested in was selling the speciality resturants while we waited .

Then we get a letter to say the ship had engine problems and will not be calling at Tenerife as the ship will have to sail much slower than planned. The letter advised there will be a letter offering some compensation . This morning we finally got the letter offering us 150 dollars per stateroom. Wow I don't think so.

The ship was unprepared for guests all day the pools and hot tubs were closed and all you could do was spend the day walking around the ship being sold too.

Celebrity you need to do better than this you have 12 days left to impress

Is this as bad as Zenith? Surely not! At least you are not missing a new port! Or had you made plans to check on the building work? Knowing you two I'm sure you will make the most of a bad cruise! See you when you get back!

To the OP - I have not seen the tubs open on embarkation day certainly not until after the lifeboat (muster) drill on a Celebrity Cruise in recent years.

As regards the missed port issue what makes you say "I dont think so" - 150 euros is above and beyond what legally has to be offered

Actually I would pay 150 Euros to miss Tenerife most days at this time of the year!

I think this should be a cautionary tale to those who cruise for ports -- it is, indeed, possible to be on a cruise and just "travel around in circles", and in most cases where that happens, you are *entitled* to no compensation (although, the cruiselines often give you some, anyway).

If you cruise, do so because you love the ship, and enjoy it, by itself. You are not guaranteed any particular port.

(Although, it does make you wonder that a person on a TA would be complaining about missing one port... I'm scheduled for a TA, and it is because I want sea days!)

On our westbound Panama Canal cruise we missed three ports in Mexico due to the H1N1 virus fiasco in 2009. Catalina Island, San Diego, and an overnight in San Francisco (the final destination) were substituted. While it wasn't the cruise we signed up for we made the best of it. The night in SF turned out to be magical--clear, warm, full moon. Our cup was more than half full.

On our westbound Panama Canal cruise we missed three ports in Mexico due to the H1N1 virus fiasco in 2009. Catalina Island, San Diego, and an overnight in San Francisco (the final destination) were substituted. ..

I would probably pay to replace Mexico ports with those great West Coast Ports. Just sayin!

Does anyone know what is happening to Reflection when it gets back to Florida? Are they skipping Tenerife because the ship needs to be put in dry dock?

QUOTE FROM DPRYO 319 from the XLLENT 50 night thread............................

Alright folks, here's the deal. What it sounds like is that in Athens, it was planned to be repaired, but there weren't the correct materials. So, in Miami (after the TA) it will be getting repaired. They clearly do not want panic over this when it will be getting repaired, QUICKLY, in Miami :-) Good news!!

Also to clear up a rumor there is NOT norovirus on board. That is false. Some passengers came down with some nasty colds, and they are of course being overly careful about sanitization! More good news!

Change of topic, shall we??? :-)

I do feel for Arno, and many on board, 9 sea days is just....a lot... Wow. I can tell you Rory is a little apprehensive , with his sea sickness..

Do you really think that Celebrity would place their passengers and crew in danger if the ship was not able to safely make the crossing? Also, not sure why the "Tsk, Tsk". Celebrity is not the first cruise line that has taken delivery of a ship and then had issues such as this. Ships are mechanical. Things can and do happen.

I'm sure that some of the guests on board who have had their plans changed are disappointed but the amount given by Celebrity for one missed port is more than generous.

To cross the Atlantic in Fall can be risky normally . Those waves can get pretty big

yes i believe they would chance a crossing even if ship was Not in top shape ..because it boils down to $$$$and cents .It would be cheaper for the company to fix things in .florida not Europe Yes I blame Celebrity ...did they not check over this new ship .These problems are not new ..so others here say......so why have allowed it to get worse instead of nipping it in the bud

i for one have crossed the Atlantic a few times in not so bad weather and yes you need the power of all engines . I saw huge waves banging on our sides ...

They cannot afford a mishap in the middle of the Atlantic if weather turns ugly ...who will be there to help ???

iMO get the thing fixed now ...put people up in hotels .sail only if the ship is ok and prepared for all kinds of weather

To cross the Atlantic in Fall can be risky normally . Those waves can get pretty big

yes i believe they would chance a crossing even if ship was Not in top shape ..because it boils down to $$$$and cents .It would be cheaper for the company to fix things in .florida not Europe Yes I blame Celebrity ...did they not check over this new ship .These problems are not new ..so others here say......so why have allowed it to get worse instead of nipping it in the bud

i for one have crossed the Atlantic a few times in not so bad weather and yes you need the power of all engines . I saw huge waves banging on our sides ...

They cannot afford a mishap in the middle of the Atlantic if weather turns ugly ...who will be there to help ???

iMO get the thing fixed now ...put people up in hotels .sail only if the ship is ok and prepared for all kinds of weather

First of all this repair will not be on Celebrity's dime. It will be repaired by Meyer Werft and if there had been any loss of revenue, the shipyard would be on the hook since this is a new ship but since the sky is falling in your world, I suggest that you stay away from Celebrity. Nothing about your post makes sense. :rolleyes:

Total nonsense.

Phil

QUOTE FROM DPRYO 319 from the XLLENT 50 night thread............................

Alright folks, here's the deal. What it sounds like is that in Athens, it was planned to be repaired, but there weren't the correct materials. So, in Miami (after the TA) it will be getting repaired. They clearly do not want panic over this when it will be getting repaired, QUICKLY, in Miami :-) Good news!!

Also to clear up a rumor there is NOT norovirus on board. That is false. Some passengers came down with some nasty colds, and they are of course being overly careful about sanitization! More good news!

Change of topic, shall we??? :-)

I do feel for Arno, and many on board, 9 sea days is just....a lot... Wow. I can tell you Rory is a little apprehensive , with his sea sickness..

Once in FLA, they can have 4 days if needed. They have 2 - 2 night cruises for TA/Media/X VIPs. Those cruises can be cancelled letting those same people onboard, but not setting sail if need be. Or a quick sail to Freeport and the work done there.

<edit> and.... <edit>

It is precisely for this reason that they would not chance it, if there was danger involved. A refund for a few days at port would be *nothing* compared to the lawsuits that they would face if they lost a ship at sea, knowing they were having problems.

Once in FLA, they can have 4 days if needed. They have 2 - 2 night cruises for TA/Media/X VIPs. Those cruises can be cancelled letting those same people onboard, but not setting sail if need be. Or a quick sail to Freeport and the work done there.

I received an email this morning from someone onboard who was told by crew that they are canceling the short TA cruise from Florida to fix the problem. (They did not mention if it was 1 or both 2 night cruises.)

Do you really think that Celebrity would place their passengers and crew in danger if the ship was not able to safely make the crossing? Also, not sure why the "Tsk, Tsk". Celebrity is not the first cruise line that has taken delivery of a ship and then had issues such as this. Ships are mechanical. Things can and do happen.

I'm sure that some of the guests on board who have had their plans changed are disappointed but the amount given by Celebrity for one missed port is more than generous.

Yeah, one would think a cruise line would never sail with mechanical issues or, say, sail right into a hurricane. Oh... wait. ;)

That would go over well with the media. I've worked with many of them and the negative press they would create has an internet half life of about 5 bazillion years....

I received an email this morning from someone onboard who was told by crew that they are canceling the short TA cruise from Florida to fix the problem. (They did not mention if it was 1 or both 2 night cruises.)

Interesting. We are on the 3-night "inaugural" on December 5th from Miami. Hmmm. Guess I will have to stayed tuned.

Neither the titanic or the concordia disasters were caused by cruise lines taking chances.

There is no reason that the ship can't run safely forever with three generators rather than 4...it will just run slower. Many ships cross the atlantic with far lower speed.

I'm no engineer, but this makes sense to me. I can't imagine why it would make it less safe -- the thrusting mechanism is separate from the stabilizing equipment, right?

Archived