Celebrity reflection transatlantic cruise

Boltonboys

Interesting. We are on the 3-night "inaugural" on December 5th from Miami. Hmmm. Guess I will have to stayed tuned.

Remember this is 3rd party information. I would guess they are skipping Tenerife for the added time in Florida to fix this problem.

Neither the titanic or the concordia disasters were caused by cruise lines taking chances.

There is no reason that the ship can't run safely forever with three generators rather than 4...it will just run slower. Many ships cross the atlantic with far lower speed.

Thank you. I was about to post the same thing. I don't think this is a safety issue The ship is just not moving at full speed. And, I am sure the majority of ships crossing the Atlantic do not have these newest generators.

I'm no engineer, but this makes sense to me. I can't imagine why it would make it less safe -- the thrusting mechanism is separate from the stabilizing equipment, right?

Thrust is generated by the two Azipods, which pull the ship through the water, much like propellers pull an airplane through the air. They are self contained electric motors and also provide steering by being able to rotate 360 degrees. The electricity needed is provided by the generators which are driven by the diesel engines. Fewer generators online will result in less electrical power to drive the azipod motors, so less speed is the result. Reflection has a top speed of 24 knots under full power.

elation10.jpg

Stabilization is preformed by the two stabilizers, one on each side of the ship. These are computer controlled and operate much like the ailerons on airplane wings and will instantly change angle to guide the ship up or down to counter rolling. They are only deployed in rolling conditions - normally they are stored in the slot in the hull shown in the attached photo. (a stark example of a stabilizer is very evident in images of the capsized Costa Concordia)

med_1_Arberia_Stabilizer_in_Perama_Drydock_11-06-09.JPG

Thrust is generated by the two Azipods, which pull the ship through the water, much like propellers pull an airplane through the air. They are self contained electric motors and also provide steering by being able to rotate 360 degrees. The electricity needed is provided by the generators which are driven by the diesel engines. Fewer generators online will result in less electrical power to drive the azipod motors, so less speed is the result. Reflection has a top speed of 24 knots under full power.

elation10.jpg

Stabilization is preformed by the two stabilizers, one on each side of the ship. These are computer controlled and operate much like the ailerons on airplane wings and will instantly change angle to guide the ship up or down to counter rolling. They are only deployed in rolling conditions. (a stark example of a stabilizer is very evident in images of the capsized Costa Concordia)

med_1_Arberia_Stabilizer_in_Perama_Drydock_11-06-09.JPG

So, .... the ship isn't more vulnerable to large waves because of this.

Much ado about nothing.

Thanks for the explanation. ;)

There's multiple wars going on in the world right now. People are dying. People are starving. People have no where to go and are hanging on to hope with everything they've got.

Last year I was introduced to cruising, and then after cruise number 2, the whole experience left me stressed and put a big, fat dent in my wallet. We get so emotional on these blogs about a stupid cruise ship and seem to lose sight of what's really important in life.

Next year, I'm going to donate my vacation money to help those in need and I'll spend time with my family at home. I know I'll feel so much better about myself, and I won't have the worries I've had thinking about cruise ships and hotels and airfares and 50 pound luggage and excursions and beverage packages.

PS: These blogs are depressing. :(

There's multiple wars going on in the world right now. People are dying. People are starving. People have no where to go and are hanging on to hope with everything they've got.

Last year I was introduced to cruising, and then after cruise number 2, the whole experience left me stressed and put a big, fat dent in my wallet. We get so emotional on these blogs about a stupid cruise ship and seem to lose sight of what's really important in life.

Next year, I'm going to donate my vacation money to help those in need and I'll spend time with my family at home. I know I'll feel so much better about myself, and I won't have the worries I've had thinking about cruise ships and hotels and airfares and 50 pound luggage and excursions and beverage packages.

PS: These blogs are depressing. :(

Hey, donate to me. I'm in need of another cruise. :D

P.S. With an attitude like that, what the heck are you doing hanging out on cruise critic?

No worries, as has been said many times on this board, cruising isn't a good "fit" for everyone. Some would rather go to AI resorts, some to big cities for shows and nightlife, some go camping or rent a fishing cabin or visit national parks for peace and quiet, so enjoy whatever it is you choose to do.....

Hey, donate to me. I'm in need of another cruise. :D

P.S. With an attitude like that, what the heck are you doing hanging out on cruise critic?

Well, I don't really know why I'm still on Cruise Critic. Maybe, I need counseling. :D

I plan to stay on here until after my last cruise on 12/15/2012 because this is the only place I can get information about my cruise such as, "Your Silhouette 12/16 cruise has been cancelled" and "Your AQ stateroom on the Reflection is no longer your stateroom" which is exactly what did happen this year. If I could transfer my last cruise to someone else I would, but I can't so I'm going to see it through to the end. Bon voyage.

Well, I don't really know why I'm still on Cruise Critic. Maybe, I need counseling. :D

I plan to stay on here until after my last cruise on 12/15/2012 because this is the only place I can get information about my cruise such as, "Your Silhouette 12/16 cruise has been cancelled" and "Your AQ stateroom on the Reflection is no longer your stateroom" which is exactly what did happen this year. If I could transfer my last cruise to someone else I would, but I can't so I'm going to see it through to the end. Bon voyage.

Seriously, and I don't mean to be snarky, but please consider thinking about how you might change your POV before going on your cruise, or, minimally, making a commitment not to be negative while speaking to others on your cruise. Your feelings are your own, and you are entitled to them, but, it isn't fair to bring others down.

Oh dear is leo in capricorn or why do some people write so nasty comments about other posters?? Friends of mine are exactly on that cruise and they are very happy- they did not report about any delay´s . They reported about the incicdent with the engines- but other than that, they love their cruise so far. Sometimes it all deppends in what mood one is. They miss a port, they got compansated, it´s not the end of the world. They sky does indeed not fall...!

Michael

Is this as bad as Zenith? Surely not! At least you are not missing a new port! Or had you made plans to check on the building work? Knowing you two I'm sure you will make the most of a bad cruise! See you when you get back!

At the moment it s worse than the Zenith!!!

Customer service is dire

No elite lounge as too many members onboard and not seen the captains host once!! Only 3 drinks per night allowed as they have decided to give vouchers.

25 min wait eat evening to get into blue ( total waste of money as they have added so many table that it like sitting in a cafeteria ) all suite guest are also allowed to dine with out any charge.

Officers agree there are issues and Miami is investigating.

I have never seen the pools open on embarcation day of any Celebrity ship. The offer of $150 for missing a port is very generous.

Every cruise I have done the pools have been open as I always pack my swim shorts in my hand luggage so I can use the facilities once onboard.

yeah well when they start missing ports and not offering

compensation is when they start loosing customers. i

normally choose a cruise because of the ports, not just

to sail around in circles !

Totally agree and object to them offering different levels of compensation from 250 to 100 per cabin. It should be 250 for all.

At the moment it s worse than the Zenith!!!

Customer service is dire

No elite lounge as too many members onboard and not seen the captains host once!! Only 3 drinks per night allowed as they have decided to give vouchers.

25 min wait eat evening to get into blue ( total waste of money as they have added so many table that it like sitting in a cafeteria ) all suite guest are also allowed to dine with out any charge.

Officers agree there are issues and Miami is investigating.

Sorry for you things do not seem to have worked out since you stepped onboard and you keep managing to find more issues

You say Customer service dire - is that in every department?

What is your suggestion if there are too many elites on board to run a lounge - if there is no space, what can they do??

You can find the Captains Club host - their hours are advertised, but bear in mind, if they have so many elites on board their time is going to be thinly spread. Are they not around for some of the Elite breakfast? Have you a specific reason you need to see them? I am sure if you are interacting with officers as your post implies, they will be able to assist in the absence of the hard pressed host/hostess

What is your issue with only three drinks a night - three drinks in two hours - are you saying that is not enough pre dinner drinks???

I am surprised, having enjoyed Blu, you think it is like sitting in a cafe, you must go to some really smart cafes! Accept if there are delays to get in that might be annoying, but I often cannot get straight into my walk up local restaurant so I go ahead of time, check situation and go for a drink rather than stress myself. And when it was busy onboard in Blu that was what we did and never waited, having confirmed with the MD we would be arriving at 2015 each night

No need to respond to this, we all have different perceptions of what is happening and expectations of should be happening. In your situation, I would relax, enjoy what I have got as like everyone, each cruise could sadly be my last one with someone special, I do not know what is round the corner for us both, and I would hate to sour my memories by knowing down the line I could have made more of the situation than I did.

What is your suggestion if there are too many elites on board to run a lounge - if there is no space, what can they do??

I have asked the same question of those that complain about this, but haven't had an answer, even one that makes sense. I don't see what they can do either except what they are doing or change the Elite benefits so that a fewer number of people qualify and it truly reflects "loyalty".

I'm sure we'll get some more reviews of this cruise. It's always good to read a few for balance.

Phil

You can find the Captains Club host - their hours are advertised, but bear in mind, if they have so many elites on board their time is going to be thinly spread. Are they not around for some of the Elite breakfast?

What is your issue with only three drinks a night - three drinks in two hours - are you saying that is not enough pre dinner drinks???

I am surprised, having enjoyed Blu, you think it is like sitting in a cafe, you must go to some really smart cafes! Accept if there are delays to get in that might be annoying, but I often cannot get straight into my walk up local restaurant so I go ahead of time, check situation and go for a drink rather than stress myself

No need to respond to this, we all have different perceptions of what is happening and expectations of should be happening. In your situation, I would relax, enjoy what I have got as like everyone, each cruise could sadly be my last one with someone special, I do not know what is round the corner for us both, and I would hate to sour my memories by knowing down the line I could have made more of the situation than I did.

I will respond if you want to make comments otherwise don't join the forum

The answer is very simple open two lounges one for first sitting guests 4 till 6 and 6.30 till 8.30 for 2 sitting guest. Don't insult me with a voucher I not on a fair ground ride . It's supposed to be a 5 star ship. Use my sea pass as recognition not a coupon that I would use at a supermarket .

Sorry after 35 cruises the captain club host has alway been in the lounges with the guest and many I'm really good friend with. If your happy to see them in their office that's your choice!

Yes I do go to some smart cafes

If you were on here you would be saying the same . I feel very sorry for the staff and I always look after the and treat them with respect . However they are so overworked after sitting down for you meal on the first night it was 20 mins before we were even served water. In the end they had to bring in extra staff!

The answer is very simple open two lounges one for first sitting guests 4 till 6 and 6.30 till 8.30 for 2 sitting guest. Don't insult me with a voucher I not on a fair ground ride . It's supposed to be a 5 star ship. Use my sea pass as recognition not a coupon that I would use at a supermarket .

That means having an Elite Lounge presence and venue for four hours a day with all the staff requirements. It wouldn't work.

Rather than viewing a voucher as an insult I would look at it as the best solution to overcrowding. If I need to chat to the officers and CC Host then I'd just do that outside of an Elite event. I guess all of us have different attitudes.

Phil

Rather than viewing a voucher as an insult I would look at it as the best solution to overcrowding. If I need to chat to the officers and CC Host then I'd just do that outside of an Elite event. I guess all of us have different attitudes.

Phil

Indeed, these were the points I was trying to make but failed!

Indeed, these were the points I was trying to make but failed!

Overcrowding is taking place! Bars are full with members trying to take advantage of their benefits and staff unable to cope in the 2 hrs given . The staff are on the ship and would be a better answer for them and their guest.

I will respond if you want to make comments otherwise don't join the forum

Sorry after 35 cruises the captain club host has alway been in the lounges with the guest and many I'm really good friend with. If your happy to see them in their office that's your choice!

Yes I do go to some smart cafes

If you were on here you would be saying the same . I feel very sorry for the staff and I always look after the and treat them with respect . However they are so overworked after sitting down for you meal on the first night it was 20 mins before we were even served water. In the end they had to bring in extra staff!

Everyone has their own preferences. These things would not bother me.

Hope you find things to enjoy about the ship.

I'm very surprised at the 'uppity' nature of some postings. Being "Elite" means you have sailed enough to gain some loyalty status, it does not mean that you are better than everyone else on the ship. You aren't.

I'm delighted to know that you go to upscale cafes. BUT, you don't have a standing reservation and my time is just as valuable as yours. Take a number.

If "Elite" status is too bourgeois, maybe you've picked the wrong cruise line.

I can understand your concerns regarding Blu,as dining in Blu

is one of the best if not the best Perk for booking Aqua.

Suites should IMHO not be allowed to dine in Blu free gratis.

Blu was designed and has capacity for Aqua guests with an extra

100+ passengers looking to dine there each night no wonder

It is full beyond capacity making for a less than expected dining experience.

As for the vouchers for Elite Hours 3 free drinks x 12 is a value of around

$350 times that by 1000 and it mounts up to a lot of $$$'s.

Myself I don't really worry if they offer free drinks or not we meet so many fantastic people when we cruise it doesn't need a freebie to make that happen.

I think sometimes folks look to complain for the sake of it and as for the

$150 compensation for missing Tenerife what were you expecting?

Maybe you will find a no win no fee solicitor on board who will take up your cause.

I would imagine you are composing a strongly worded letter of complaint

to Mr.Bayley as you sit and smoulder about how badly you are being treated on this cruise.

Why not sit,relax,enjoy the beautiful ship and be thankful that you are able to

cruise so often. I count my blessings every time I sail on one of these fantastic vessels. :D:cool:

Often in this type of compensation it depends on the type of room you are travelling in as effectively they are working on a % cost of the trip. Certainly when we had a precruise issue which affected the whole ship as I recall the figure was $100 for inside cabin, $150 for verandas and $200 for suites

Archived