Dress for men for dining room

On 12 RCL cruises, I have found that on formal nights about 20 to 25% of men will

not have a coat on. He will definitely be in the minority, but nothing really to worry about.

Next week for formal nights, I will be wearing a sport-coat and a turtle-neck. No tie, no dress shirts.

My DH will wear shirt and nice pair of pants for the casual nights, suit coat and tie, shirt and of course pants but ends up taking off the suitcoat when he sits down, so never really has it on except to enter the dining room. We don't cruise as often as we would like, only 6 since 2002 but have seen the changes even on formal nights. For the most part people tend to dress up more on the formal nights but seldom see the long gowns on the ladies now, usually a lovely coctail dress.

cruisequeen10: So far you have 6 people telling you it's OK for your husband to leave the dress jacket at home. It's really a better answer to tell you what the majority of people wear on Hawaiian cruises. One person said about 25% don't wear jackets.

I've been to Hawaii 3 times on RCCL ships. The non-formal nights have a lot more tropical shirts in the dining room, but formal nights are really more like 90% jackets. The people that sail to Hawaii tend to be an older crowd, because they have the time for longer cruises. So, they also tend to dress more conservatively.

It all depends on how your husband feels about his appearance. Many men could give a hoot what other people think about what they wear; many men dress to please their SO or wife on formal nights.

So, no jacket means he will be in the minority, he can certainly not wear one and eat in the main dining room, and if you and he are comfortable with all of this, then don't bring the jacket.

If either of you prefers to dress according to the suggested guidelines and with the majority of the other men in the dining room, then I think your husband should bring the jacket.

My husband packs his jacket in a garment bag or plastic bag, folded once across, and it's on the top. It rarely gets wrinkled.

Yes, and don't listen to the fashion police who like to tell people otherwise.

I never understand why people that post about the suggested dress guidelines are called "police"???? It's not judgemental to explain things to people that ask questions. It's just opinions being posted; why the derrogatory remarks?

I never understand why people that post about the suggested dress guidelines are called "police"???? It's not judgemental to explain things to people that ask questions. It's just opinions being posted; why the derrogatory remarks?

This posting is not about you pcur, get over it. The OP asked a question, I answered it. Nothing derogatory said at all. You're too sensitive.

I've never taken the "police" term as a slur, quite the opposite.

A self-policing society is a good one.

This posting is not about you pcur, get over it. The OP asked a question, I answered it. Nothing derogatory said at all. You're too sensitive.

I wasn't feeling like your post was about me at all. So, I guess there's nothing for me to "get over", is there?

My observations was that when people say anything about the suggested guidelines for formal night, in general, on any thread, on any of these CC boards, they are immediately labeled as "police". But, the opposite is not true. Just a curiosity to me; always has been.

Archived