Mini Suite or family suite? Same price on the Dawn

hammsz

DH and I are one of the few (very few apparently) that missed having a balcony.

The suite perks were great.

However, we said we really missed having the balcony. I wouldn't book a mini suite though, it would be either a regular balcony or a penthouse with a balcony.

I love my balconies and not having one in a Family Suite has been something I have thought about greatly. That said, by the time we got around to booking the Dawn, there were no FSs left and I had to go with a regular balcony. Saw the Family Suites and they looked amazing. Next time I am on the Dawn, I am going for it. As someone else pointed out, you are steps away from an outside deck. And if they are both the same price? Definitely. Enjoy the cruise and those suite perks!

Just got off the Star, stayed in an SJ. It is a little like comparing apples and oranges. I like them both. But if the price difference is nil, I cannot imagine choosing the mini-suite instead. The size is just phenomenally larger. The bathroom has the separate tub and large walk-in shower.

The large flat screen TV beats any small tube version, even though most of us claim not to be cruising for the channel choice. But you have a DVD player and can order up a video from the butler, if you just want to take it easy in your suite one evening.

As a suite guest, we received early entry to the chocoholic buffet (can't say if same is true on Dawn).

Just imagine ordering up a room service meal served on china with cloth napkins, served at your table facing a wall of windows.

Let me repeat, wall of windows.

I'm in the minority here, but we choose the mini every time. We spend most evenings on our balcony with the kids sleeping in the cabin. Having to leave the cabin to get to a balcony does us no good when children are sleeping at night. Plus DH gets motion sick, so being able to go outside at any time of day and having some private space while feeling sick is critical.

I also don't want to pay extra tips for a concierge and butler when we receive great service from our room steward. Sit down breakfast and lunch does not appeal to a family-on-the-go, though priority embarkation/disembarkation and tenders would be nice, they are not justified by the cost difference in tips.

Im going to read this thread to my DW tonight when she gets home. Looks like 25 for 2 against. Much appreciate the pros vs cons, you have hopefully opened eyes for my wife as to why it is better, looking down from the windows is really a neat tip.

I'm in the minority here' date=' but we choose the mini every time. We spend most evenings on our balcony with the kids sleeping in the cabin. Having to leave the cabin to get to a balcony does us no good when children are sleeping at night. Plus DH gets motion sick, so being able to go outside at any time of day and having some private space while feeling sick is critical.

I also don't want to pay extra tips for a concierge and butler when we receive great service from our room steward. Sit down breakfast and lunch does not appeal to a family-on-the-go, though priority embarkation/disembarkation and tenders would be nice, they are not justified by the cost difference in tips.[/quote']

That sounds very reasonable. And isn't it great we are all different? Soooo, OP, do you relate more to B&Z's mom, whose opinion I respect... Or me? Therein lies your answer.

Hammsz,

No one brought up the family suite with BALCONY. Is there a big price difference? Sorry I was out of town and didn't read this thread until today. I booked the suite with balcony for the same reason as your wife. Just couldn't give it up :D

What did you decide to do?

No one brought up the family suite with BALCONY. Is there a big price difference?

At least when we cruised in SJ, the price difference was significant. In other words the Family Suite with Balcony was in a normal "suite price range" when the SJ was discounted to almost "minisuite price range" meaning that the price difference for us would have been like over $1000 pp.

In general the SJ suites are actually in a league of their own, there are so many of them on the Dawn class ships that on a less crowder cruises they don't usually sell out in advance. As the departure comes closer, the price drops are quite big and hence this kind of discussions.

I don't mind that at all, I enjoyed the SJ on the Star even in the Caribbean much more than the then AC (currently SC, I think) on the Jade in the Canary Island cruise.

SJs are FAMILY suites that can hold up to SIX people - sell out fast on dates that the schools are out but slow sell during school time.

Last Jan (during school time) we snapped a good deal on a SJ (all balcony cabins were sold out and the SJ was a few hundreds bucks more than the OV) and loved the experience for 1 week.

We'd do it again if we get good deal.

i cant wait to tell my butler to get my a DVD for me and bring me something good.

hahaha, like you have the time to watch one!

We like our espresso coffee with a twist of lemon rind (we brought our own sharp paring knife) so we aksed out butler to bring us a lemon. He did.

You'll get a bowl of fruit in room ... when you have eaten some, don't be afraid to ask for replenishment of your favourites.

Also ask for milk for your morning cappuccinos. He'll put a carton of milk in your fridge.

ENJOY!!!

There is an excellent compromise.....SG suites. They are large and also have a balcony. They are on Deck 12 on the Star. There are only 4 of them and they go quickly. They are also a little more expensive than the SJ's; but I think well worth it. I too, have to have a balcony and a larger room. It also comes with all of the suite perks.

There is an excellent compromise.....SG suites. They are large and also have a balcony. They are on Deck 12 on the Star. There are only 4 of them and they go quickly. They are also a little more expensive than the SJ's; but I think well worth it. I too, have to have a balcony and a larger room. It also comes with all of the suite perks.

hahaha $1,000 isn't that "little" :rolleyes:

Archived