Dangers in Cozumel Excursions?

bellabaloo

We went to Cozumel off of Mariner of the Seas in March of 2012. Our TA assured us it was safe and we had a fantastic time at Nachi Cocum. It was the best excursion of our cruise!

We are going again off of Disney Magic, March of 2013, and planned to visit Nachi again. Our TA is urging us to stay on the ship-a complete change in her perspective from just 9 months ago. I am not an alarmist and she is not either-which is why I am concerned.

Has anyone heard of any recent incidents or have anything to share, one way or the other?

TIA

Melanie

been to Coz many times and agree I've not seen anything recent about a change to the basic warnings

and the recent accident highlights a large warning - I'd not rent any form of motor vehicle in Cozumel (or any other 'island' for that matter - well Cayman is an exception if you stick to 4 wheeled vehicles) - not dune buggy, jeep, atv, motorcycle, scooter or moped

If you rent one of these ensure your health insurance is paid up and will cover you out of the US. In my years going to these islands I've seen just what horrible condition most of these machines are in: bad or no brakes, bald tires, no lights or turn signals. I've seen WAY too many people get hurt on them. Don't do it . . .

We will be there NEXT WEEK.

I'm wondering why your TA would tell you that and not give you a reason why. Did you bother to ask them?

From what I've read, Cozumel is a very safe place. The people here are very friendly and it's told that they have a 3 strikes you're out policy. They do not tolerate the locals stepping out of line in any way and it's pretty much a privilege to be able to live there. They really rely on the cruise ships for income and they always treat everyone well. I'm just not sure why we would need to be alarmed all of a sudden. (Not saying let your guard down like there's no care in the world, just saying...)

That's very strange--Cozumel is one of my favorite stops, a safe place with friendly people. I have no idea why your agent would tell you not to get off the ship.

This is a situation where I'd ask for a specific and detailed answer. If you do decide to ask her, please report back and tell us what she said. You've got my interest peaked.

We went to Cozumel off of Mariner of the Seas in March of 2012. Our TA assured us it was safe and we had a fantastic time at Nachi Cocum. It was the best excursion of our cruise!

We are going again off of Disney Magic, March of 2013, and planned to visit Nachi again. Our TA is urging us to stay on the ship-a complete change in her perspective from just 9 months ago. I am not an alarmist and she is not either-which is why I am concerned.

Has anyone heard of any recent incidents or have anything to share, one way or the other?

TIA

Melanie

We were there the week of thanksgiving and no problems.I did notice this time that the locals are a little more aggressive when shopping as in trying to get you in there shops.i don't recall them doing that 5 years the last time we were there.

Just returned from a Cozumel stop on Tuesday. We enjoyed our time there, went to the golf course and then ate lunch downtown...no problems/worries at all. We were on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas; in the daily cruise calendar there was advice not to rent any of these vehicles.

I've been to Cozumel twice this year and am going again next month. Can't imagine why their TA would say that. It's just as safe as any other large city in the US. In fact I was more comfortable in Cozumel than I was in Miami.

Just keep your wits about you and you'll be safe. Nachi is very safe as they only let so many people in a day and there are no vendors bothering you.

I've been to Cozumel twice this year and am going again next month. Can't imagine why their TA would say that. It's just as safe as any other large city in the US. In fact I was more comfortable in Cozumel than I was in Miami.

Just keep your wits about you and you'll be safe. Nachi is very safe as they only let so many people in a day and there are no vendors bothering you.

Thank you - good to know!

A newspaper in Mexico and cruise expert Professor Ross Klein report that a young woman from Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas cruise ship was apparently drugged and sexually assaulted by employees of Senor Frog's in Cozumel, Mexico last Friday, August 10, 2012. From Cruise Law News website

But a real threat to female passengers sailing to Mexican ports is violence, including sexual assault, against teenagers and young women.

A case pending in our court system should serve as a wake up call to cruise lines sailing to Mexican ports. After Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas sailed into Cozumel, a young woman went ashore into the port to shop. The lawsuit alleges that the cruise line provided her with a map of the shopping locations recommended by Royal Caribbean. A gang of men brutally raped the young woman while she visited one of the recommended stores. The lawsuit further alleges that it is believed that the men who raped the cruise passenger worked in the subject shopping area. FROM CRUISE LAW NEWS WEBSITE

US STATE DEPT. TRAVEL ADVISORIES: Quintana Roo: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Tulum are major cities/travel destinations in Quintana Roo -see attached map to identify their exact locations: No advisory is in effect.

These were the only 2 cases I came across on a quick google search. I'm sure if we google search the US port city cruises depart from we'd find interesting stories too.

Bottom line: Be alert - be aware. Take precautions while traveling abroad .... and at home in the USA (or wherever). Evil people do evil things all around the world. :(

TIA

Melanie

I have been to Cozumel two times this year for vacation; will be there on a cruise in January and for a week again in February. We feel perfectly safe there. We roam around all over the place day and night. I feel as safe there as I do in my little town of 4500 people.

If you want to read about everything that happens regarding cruise ships (and a lot will shock you and I can spend hours on this site), then go to cruise law news.

His bias against the cruise industry, who he makes a living suing, is pretty obvious. They aren't the saints their PR department would like you to believe, but they are hardly the devil he makes them out to be.

That said, I didn't notice any recent posts of his regarding Cozumel. If he thinks it is safe for cruise passengers, you could probably flaunt your cash in every store and bar on the island without a concern.

Sorry everyone! I thought I posted back here but just realized that i posted it on the roll call thread. So sorry!

Anyway, she went to a beach day resort-but couldn't recall which one at the time -which i find odd, I'd remember! When her party got there, there were armed guards every 5 or so feet lining the walk way into the resort. They asked about it and were told it was to protect the tourists. They were so freaked out they went back to the ship. This happened in August.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry again for not responding quicker!

Sorry everyone! I thought I posted back here but just realized that i posted it on the roll call thread. So sorry!

Anyway, she went to a beach day resort-but couldn't recall which one at the time -which i find odd, I'd remember! When her party got there, there were armed guards every 5 or so feet lining the walk way into the resort. They asked about it and were told it was to protect the tourists. They were so freaked out they went back to the ship. This happened in August.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry again for not responding quicker!

That is very odd. We were there in February and again November 27 this year. No issues that I am aware. Like others, I find Coz to be a very safe island.

Just got back (2 hours ago actually) from my Star cruise and our trip to Cozumel on Friday. No problems at all (and there was even 7 cruise ships in port that day). Nothing seemed different than any other time we've been there...not to mention we were there on the day the world was suppose to end. ;)

Just got back (2 hours ago actually) from my Star cruise and our trip to Cozumel on Friday. No problems at all (and there was even 7 cruise ships in port that day). Nothing seemed different than any other time we've been there...not to mention we were there on the day the world was suppose to end. ;)

Hope you had a great cruise - looking forward to your review(s). :)

This is bs just got back from Cozumel not could not have felt safer. We went to a beach club and them walked around downtown, but people should act like they would in any unfamiliar environment do not venture out alone or with strangers, don't drink and drive and don't go flashing money or jewelry.

For some reason people go to these countries and losses all common sense and then are shocked when bad things happen

Archived