The GRAND TOUR of Celebrity Eclipse & S-Class Ships in Pictures and Video - Part 2

cruisetrail

This thread has been very helpful. Has anyone who is following it stayed in one of the accessible sky suites - 2130-32-34-36? If so, how much were you bothered by noise from above?

Thanks

Follow this link to the spreadsheet on the top of this page to get your answer:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AtHczoNeooladEEyVmQwWmJhaGItbFZPUFNudTFZcEE&type=view&gid=0&f=true&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&page=3&rowsperpage=250

Now we move to the upper balcony decks.

The major problems here are the huge overhang and potetial nose from public decks right above.

It's quite normal for shipbuilders to make upper decks wider than ships' superstructure to have more space "under the sun" thus creating overhangs.

Typical overhangs on cruise ships.

Some shadow.

"Protection from the rain" (Sorry, I always smile when read that).

vscjfo.jpg

But overhangs have never been as massive as on Celebrity ships.

They are literally twice (or three times!) as large as on other ships.

What make things worse are rows of huge struts that hold overhangs.

This looks ugly and resembles buildings under construction.

mm3p8n.jpg

Overhangs on Celebrity are overwhelming.

Huge struts spoil views from upper balconies.

3trgh.jpg

My personal impression of being on a balcony under the overhang on Celebrity: it's depressing.

2w4fn29.jpg

Cabins that are the most affected by the overhang.

Celebrity Silhouette:

1fcl09.jpg

Celebrity Reflection:

2w4d9vd.jpg

To be continued...

Yes, these overhangs may be wider than on other ships, but those ships would have rows of inside cabins forcing the balcony rooms to to be located further out to the edge of the ship. Those extra rows of inside cabins would add 100's of additional passengers for the same size ship. I think Celebrity's trade off is a better deal for all of the passengers - fewer passengers and more room for everyone.

Edited by SantaFeFan

We have cabin 6262 which is a partically obstructed view room. Has anyone any experience? Tho TA says we may get ungraded!

Hi disneyloo. Which ship have you booked? Not sure if you've checked out the S-Class sticky http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018 which provides good reviews from people who have stayed in certain cabins.

Your cabin isn't listed but it sounds like it's just a minor obstruction (top of life boat). Look at some of the cabins near yours to see what people have said.

As far as getting an upgrade.. a lot of TA's say that but I've yet to get an upgrade. I'm sure the cabin will be fine, but if you don't like it now would be the time to change as an upgrade is probably unlikely.

Enjoy your cruise.

OP hasn't been here in over a month. S/he seems to have been distracted by Quantum's unfortunate resemblance to the Solstice ships. :rolleyes:

Knowledge of all things nautical does have have its responsibilities:rolleyes:

I made a search with the term "comminicating" on this thread and on the Celebrity forum to try to find how the communicating doors are affecting the arrangements of the cabins, but didn't find any useful posts.

Are the doors stealing some storage space in the cabin or is the sofa smaller? Is there some other disavantage?

The location of many cabins seems good for me but I am concerned by the fact they are communicating with the adjacent cabin. Should I avoid them if I don't need it?

I made a search with the term "comminicating" on this thread and on the Celebrity forum to try to find how the communicating doors are affecting the arrangements of the cabins, but didn't find any useful posts.

Are the doors stealing some storage space in the cabin or is the sofa smaller? Is there some other disavantage?

The location of many cabins seems good for me but I am concerned by the fact they are communicating with the adjacent cabin. Should I avoid them if I don't need it?

No, the communicating doors are pinned back 'open' into the corridor, thereby allowing communication with the next cabin.. Another door in the corridor is then brought into use, which will be the entry door to both cabins.

I am sure someone will have a picture of the arrangement.

Look a post number 18 way up at the top in this thread (search for "interconnecting" rather than "communicating").

Near bottom is image of 2 rooms with the interconnecting doors. Basically the regular room entry doors are recessed back from the main hallway deep enough to allow the doors to open. then the 2 room doors are pegged open, and the outer doors (which are normally open and pegged to the walls, looking like a normal wall) close to form a double door-like entry with keycard access, essentially making a small entry foyer between hallway and the 2 rooms. Also can have the staff open the dividing wall on the balcony in most rooms too to connect that way.

Look a post number 18 way up at the top in this thread (search for "interconnecting" rather than "communicating").

Near bottom is image of 2 rooms with the interconnecting doors. Basically the regular room entry doors are recessed back from the main hallway deep enough to allow the doors to open. then the 2 room doors are pegged open, and the outer doors (which are normally open and pegged to the walls, looking like a normal wall) close to form a double door-like entry with keycard access, essentially making a small entry foyer between hallway and the 2 rooms. Also can have the staff open the dividing wall on the balcony in most rooms too to connect that way.

This however varies I believe as some ships (Reflection and M Class) use the standard interconnecting door formats. While we're in a S-Class thread, the OP's questions didn't specify ship.

This however varies I believe as some ships (Reflection and M Class) use the standard interconnecting door formats. While we're in a S-Class thread, the OP's questions didn't specify ship.

I have heard this as well. All M class have hotel type between rooms, and for some reason the new Reflection reverted to that as well. I thought I heard reflection had many fewer connecting rooms, and some still had the solstice type, but most are hotel type. but i've not confirmed that.

But the other solstice as far as I know have the setup as on Eclipse.

We have booked aft Sky Suite 1214 on Relection Eastern Med. From the pictures it looks like the window washing equipment is one deck up, but it's hard to tell. Has anyone been in this cabin or have any knowledge on this?

Yes, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, but it is also important to check the S Class spreadsheet for "eyewitness reports" from actual cruisers.

Appreciate the photos too.

Thank you for the spreadsheet, and the photos are great. We are booked on the Equinox in 1501 and I was curious about the first port side cabin. We've been in that cabin before on NCL and it was great. The bridge extension doesn't bother me. We were on the Silhouette and our friends were in that room, right next to the relaxation lounge...they loved it.

Kevin

We have cabin 6262 which is a partically obstructed view room. Has anyone any experience? Tho TA says we may get ungraded!

Hi disneyloo,

We will be in room 6262 on the Equinox in August and was wondering if you could possibly post some photos from the balcony when you return from your cruise on Eclipse in May as I am also concerned re the obstructed view... Any other hints or tips re our room will also be most welcome!

Enjoy your cruise!

PGV

I absolutely LOVE this thread...especially for all of the great photos showing so many cabins in detail...

Thank you, Cruisetrail...

This really should be pinned to the top of the board!

It should be noted, however, that what makes a good or a bad cabin choice is often a matter of personal preference, crititeria, standards and priorities...

That "overhang" may be dreaded by some, not really much of a worry for others...

We had 2111 on Eclipse last summer and loved it--despite the overhang...Thought that was minor...Made up for by the oversized balcony and convenience to the Elevators and the proximity to the buffet (for snacks)...

This next month, we are in #2106 on Silhouette...

We actually carefully maneuvered our way to this cabin...

We originally booked a balcony guarantee almost a year ago for the then low price...

We got assigned #6268 initially...a little disapointed due to it being a partial obstructed 2C...and apparently having two rather large stanchions right in front of the balcony...So, when the opportunity arose, we switched to a Concierge guarantee...and were assigned #1275...

Noting #2106 coming open, I quickly called Celebrity and had us moved...

Despite Cruistrail marking this cabin in yellow, I disagree as to his assessment...I think it's one of the best balcony cabins on the ship...

First, it appears Cruisetrail's objection--unlike the other Deck 12s--is the public men's room above it...From earlier possts in this thread, it seems like others who have had these cabins have not noticed any noise problem from the public rest rooms...

OTOH:

1) Being the first cabin off the hump, it has one of the largest balconies...

2) It is right near the aft elevators--making it a very quick trip to the buffet one floor above and an elevator ride to the MDR and more...

3) Being on the Starboard, the smoking area is on the OTHER side of the ship--so I won't find myself walking out toward the pool through a gauntlet of smoke--as I did from 2111...

4) being at the edge of the "overhang", the overhang really isn't an issue...

5) There are none of those large support beams that hinder views from other areas of Decks 11 and 12...

I am really looking forward to enjoying this cabin...

Staying in this cabin for our first proper cruise. Anybody have any thoughts on views, lifeboat obstruction etc.. ?

I have looked on the spreadsheet and it is not listed.

From the deck plan it looks to be the 1st room on the front hump.

Thanks.

Edited by Benpb

• 4 weeks later...
[ATTACH]270108[/ATTACH]

We stayed in cabin 1075 on the Eclipse. The balcony is huge and no problem with overhang. See pic (if I've attached it correctly!!)

Do you have any other pictures of cabin 1075 on the eclipse ? I have that cabin on hold for dec 28th. Thank you.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App