Attention coffee drinkers

tapacuk

I just got done with my first cruise last week and wanted to pass along my observations as they come to me. I'd like to talk coffee here.

I am the type of person that is up pretty early in the morning, and was usually up to watch the ship pull in to the port. Standing on deck, watching land approach and enjoying a coffee was a very pleasant experience, however, the shot glasses that are passed off as coffee mugs are a joke. I saw a few people that brought their own travel mugs and thought to myself, I wish I would have thought to bring that!!! So, if you are anything like me, and prefer more than a sip of coffee at a time, pack your own travel mug.

I love my coffee too! If I forget to bring a thermos style mug I just get one at the specialty cafe on board, since that's where I get most of my coffees on cruises. Then I can carry it anywhere, and have a good sized coffee. Doubles as a nice souvenir that you can use at home!

It is still syrup. The ground stuff is available for sale at the International Cafe. Their coffee dispensers work like soda dispensers however they are not calibrated very well. There are usually 6 dispensers at the Horizon Court. You can do a taste test until you will find a dispenser that spits out a coffee that is tolerable:D

I just got done with my first cruise last week and wanted to pass along my observations as they come to me. I'd like to talk coffee here.

I am the type of person that is up pretty early in the morning, and was usually up to watch the ship pull in to the port. Standing on deck, watching land approach and enjoying a coffee was a very pleasant experience, however, the shot glasses that are passed off as coffee mugs are a joke. I saw a few people that brought their own travel mugs and thought to myself, I wish I would have thought to bring that!!! So, if you are anything like me, and prefer more than a sip of coffee at a time, pack your own travel mug.

One of my first purchases is a travel cup from the ship's store.

Speaking of coffee...

Does Princess still make their brew with syrup or do they use grounds now?

Their coffee was not tasty to me.....just wondering??

Cathy

Many agree with you and bring along Starbucks VIA when they cruise on Princess.

Even though VIA is instant, still it is better than the swill that passes for coffee on Princess.

Many agree with you and bring along Starbucks VIA when they cruise on Princess.

Even though VIA is instant, still it is better than the swill that passes for coffee on Princess.

Wow thanks for the Starbucks tip - sailing on our first Princess Cruise, so I will order a pot of hot water instead of coffee every morning :D

I live for NCL - they have a Lavazza machine in every suite, coffee is made fresh, french press, at your table, in Cagney's and in the MDR....

I agree with you on the experience of getting up early with the coffee and watching land approach--it's just wonderful.

Thanks for the tip of bringing my own coffee mug, as that is one of my biggest complaints as well, it seems like I am always running back to get a refill on my coffee.

Now that would be great for a long road trip! Too bad it won't fit in the cup holder.:D

You have to get an industrial cup holder extension ...

cat20.jpg

But make sure you specify what kind of cup you are referring to, or you could end up with the wrong kind of cup holder ... :eek:

bdm_ast_jock_box.jpg

Wondering about the Coffee. I am an Avid Coffee Drinker. I usually drink a 12 cup pot every day. What do they Charge for Coffee ?..and can you just get a Pot of Coffee brought to your Cabin ? is that Free or is there a Charge for Room Service Coffee ? When we went to Las Vegas I paid $18 every morning for a pot of coffee to the room.

I have never been on a Cruise before. We are going on Freedom of the Seas in May. SO Nervous and Excited

Wondering about the Coffee. I am an Avid Coffee Drinker. I usually drink a 12 cup pot every day. What do they Charge for Coffee ?..and can you just get a Pot of Coffee brought to your Cabin ? is that Free or is there a Charge for Room Service Coffee ? When we went to Las Vegas I paid $18 every morning for a pot of coffee to the room.

I have never been on a Cruise before. We are going on Freedom of the Seas in May. SO Nervous and Excited

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Regular coffee is free, but for specialty coffee there is usually a charge. Room service is generally free but I believe there is a surcharge on RCL for deliveries after midnight (and some lines do have a la carte items on the room service menu that carry a charge, not sure if RCL fits in this category).

Thanks for the Answers sparks. I Only drink Regular Coffee, so i shouldnt have to worry about paying $18 every morning for my coffee Fix. I will also make sure i stop by a gift shop and Buy a Nice Coffee Mug. Thanks for that tip, i would hav e never thought of that.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Regular coffee is free, but for specialty coffee there is usually a charge. Room service is generally free but I believe there is a surcharge on RCL for deliveries after midnight (and some lines do have a la carte items on the room service menu that carry a charge, not sure if RCL fits in this category).

Each cruise line is different. Princess has nice size mugs.

If that is your biggest complaint, you must have had a fabulous time

I agree!

However, a bad cup of coffee is still a bad cup of coffee.

Next time, I'm bringing MY own coffee (starbucks via is way better). I was ok with the cup size, but the coffee offered was well, not to my liking.

I don't remember not liking it on Carnival. But last week it wasn't drinkable, even after adding chocolate milk, ice cream or hot chocolate.

With Carnival and Disney (I don't remember with NCL), you can have coffee delivered to your room in the am or from room service. Before DD, that's how I was woken up (now, it's dd signing milk in my face!)

The coffee on Disney from the Coffee place was reasonably priced and could be delivered via room service as well (you do pay for the coffee and I tipped extra).

I do think I'll buy a mug next time though.

(never a room service charge on Carnival or Disney. They do suggest you tip though. Can't say on NCL, they never answered the phone.)

We North Americans love big coffee mugs, myself included. In Europe and other parts of the world, I have noticed that coffee is served in much smaller servings.

Even my coffee pot measures 12 cups of coffee, I get about 4 or 5 out of a full pot.

YIKES!

Coffee is a critical part of my day and my standards are very high. At casa Tahmah, It's home roasted beans and a press pot. I usually brew in hotel rooms since most of their coffee is hard to swallow. Is it kosher to run my electric kettle in a cabin? This is my first time cruising.

OH, the dreaded coffee dilemma. Most of the cruises I have taken have had the most awful coffee. One exception was on NCL, the Cagney Steakhouse served a remarkably tasty cup of coffee, but otherwise, swill. On Ruby Princess, I discovered they sold a "coffee card," for around $29 that had about 15 "punches" on it. This was for specialty coffees like espresso or lattes. I bought it, but toward the end of the cruise. The good thing is that you can use it anytime on any Princess ship, it does not expire. I love the idea of bringing my own insulated mug.

YIKES!

Coffee is a critical part of my day and my standards are very high. At casa Tahmah, It's home roasted beans and a press pot. I usually brew in hotel rooms since most of their coffee is hard to swallow. Is it kosher to run my electric kettle in a cabin? This is my first time cruising.

This may vary depending on the cruise line. Most list prohibited and restricted items in the FAQ on their website and as a double check you can ask in the cruise line's forum.

Archived