Silver Cloud Falkland ports cancelled V1232

57 varieties

This is absolutely appalling. All Silversea is doing is bowing to bullying from the Argentine government. A far better approach would be to follow P&O and cancel the Argentine ports of call.

In the FWIW department, Regent has also cancelled a Falklands stop on our cruise in two weeks. We weren't scheduled to arrive in the Falklands until early Feb and they CNX the port about two weeks ago. We, too, were very disappointed.

Greg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-news/9760118/Silversea-Cruises-cancels-Falklands-visits.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This article has just been published in the Daily Telegraph in the UK. Sad news for the Falkland Island people who depend on tourism for much of their income.:(

Appreciate your posting of this story. I saw it independently this am. From this story, they had this headline: "Silversea Cruises cancels Falklands visits" with these added highlights: "The decision is yet another blow to the Falklands' tourism-realiant economy, which is already suffering following a spate of cancellations from American, Dutch and German liners. But in a diplomatic tit-for-tat, British company P&O Cruises last week said it will honour two visits to the Falklands – and has instead cancelled scheduled calls to three ports in Argentina."

Visited Argentina in 1988. Interesting country and area, but lots of history and tension with the British over the whole Falklands battles of the past. Sad situation.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-news/9760118/Silversea-Cruises-cancels-Falklands-visits.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 88,979 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is absolutely appalling. All Silversea is doing is bowing to bullying from the Argentine government. A far better approach would be to follow P&O and cancel the Argentine ports of call.

Agree. At least HAL execs have balls and are canceling their Argentina ports too.

I don't really care whether cancelling stops in Argentina has an economic impact or not. I will never get off a ship in an Argentinian port as long as there are repercussions for stopping at the Falklands by Argentina. I refuse to be dictated to as far as where and how I choose to spend my money.

I don't see where canceling the Argentina ports will have an impact on the Argentina economy and I don't think the passengers booked on such a cruise would be very happy.

Keith

Cancelling Argentine ports has a huge impact on the tourist industry in the ports, particularly Ushuaia, which derives much income and employment from cruise tourism.

Quite apart from the the Falklands/Las Malvinas crisis, Ushuaians felt neglected and unfairly treated by the central government. When we visited in February 2012, like most Argentinians we met, they regarded the "crisis" as a government beat up to divert attention from the country's economic woes. Unfortunately one that affected their incomes considerably.

Ushuaia is the nearest port to Antarctica and Silversea depends on it from November to February to embark passengers and load fuel, food and other supplies for the Silver Explorer Antarctic cruises. I can't see Silversea risking that facility to support the Falklands tourist industry.

Little people get hurt when the big people's interests are threatened.

Cancelling Argentine ports has a huge impact on the tourist industry in the ports, particularly Ushuaia, which derives much income and employment from cruise tourism.

Quite apart from the the Falklands/Las Malvinas crisis, Ushuaians felt neglected and unfairly treated by the central government. When we visited in February 2012, like most Argentinians we met, they regarded the "crisis" as a government beat up to divert attention from the country's economic woes. Unfortunately one that affected their incomes considerably.

Ushuaia is the nearest port to Antarctica and Silversea depends on it from November to February to embark passengers and load fuel, food and other supplies for the Silver Explorer Antarctic cruises. I can't see Silversea risking that facility to support the Falklands tourist industry.

Little people get hurt when the big people's interests are threatened.

I've seen similar comments on other boards about other countries too.

In the end, the cruise lines will figure out what makes sense but in the end you as the consumer can book what you want. We are fortunate that we do do have have.

There are many governments who do terrible things yet I see the cruise lines visiting their ports often and we as consumers directly or indirectly purchase their products.

We each will make our own decisions and the cruise lines will do likewise.

Keith

This is apalling behaviour from Silversea.Cowtowing to blackmail pressure from Argentina.Many folk have booked these cruises purely for the Falklands visit .Hiding under the excuse "health and Safety" makes it even grubbier in my view.My next cruise will be booked with another line.

Will full refunds be offered?

Never book any cruise for just the Falklands or for that matter other places such as Punta Arenas. It get so windy there that it is not always possible to stop at either place. Same is true for other areas.

Certainly you can cancel your cruise if you are before the penalty date but all cruise lines reserve the right to alter itineraries.

Keith

The website has been updated so that the Cloud is now shown as visiting Puerto Madyrn instead of Stanley in Jan 2013, however later voyages still show Stanley, as do the Spirit ones.

Perhaps of more interest is what will happen to the Explorer voyages, particularly 7306 which is scheduled to spend a significant amount of time in the Falklands and South Georgia.

When will SS fess up and tell what they are up to.

My own view is that this is a fairly recent event and they are working through this and making adjustments as required as are other cruise lines. It's a little harder to do this then just to wiggle ones nose and it's all done.

I would hope that once changes are made that communications are sent out to TA's for their clients who are booked on specific voyages which is normally the case.

Keith

The website has been updated so that the Cloud is now shown as visiting Puerto Madyrn instead of Stanley in Jan 2013, however later voyages still show Stanley, as do the Spirit ones.

Perhaps of more interest is what will happen to the Explorer voyages, particularly 7306 which is scheduled to spend a significant amount of time in the Falklands and South Georgia.

When will SS fess up and tell what they are up to.

Agree on that as I have a vested interest in that...

What exactly would you like them to do?

Well put! There would be even louder cries of outrage if the calls on ports in Argentina were all cancelled. Stanley is interesting, but it is not Buenos Aires.

Would those who are so indignant suggest that Silversea arm its ships and declare war on Argentina?

Let me tell you what SS management should do.

1 This problem is being caused by Argentina denying freedom of Navigation to ships sailing under international flags.Is that OK ? Lessons of history and even the school yard will tell us that aggression and bullying must be resisted otherwise it will persist and escalate.Appeasement should not be an option.

2 So the Cruise industry must speak with one voice and make it clear it will not be tolerated.

3Untill freedom of navigation is restored to cruise lines who wish to visit the Falklands No cruise ships should use Argentinian ports.

4 To simply roll over as SS appear to have done will just give these folk encouragement.

its not too difficult to do the right thing and as someone once said"a principle is not a principle until it costs you something"

You are a genius and should be hired by SS. Then you can figure out how to route passengers and crew to different dis/embarkation cities.

As previously stated, there is more to this than waving a wand. You do make a good point about the industry speaking with one voice.

1 This problem is being caused by Argentina denying freedom of Navigation to ships sailing under international flags.Is that OK ? Lessons of history and even the school yard will tell us that aggression and bullying must be resisted otherwise it will persist and escalate.Appeasement should not be an option.

2 So the Cruise industry must speak with one voice and make it clear it will not be tolerated.

3Untill freedom of navigation is restored to cruise lines who wish to visit the Falklands No cruise ships should use Argentinian ports.

4 To simply roll over as SS appear to have done will just give these folk encouragement.

its not too difficult to do the right thing and as someone once said"a principle is not a principle until it costs you something"

Kinda of hard to do since Silversea relies on the Port of Ushuia for their Antarctica cruises on Explorer.

Archived