Etiquette Question

Cinnleigh

Okay, this is my sixth cruise and my husband's first; however this is my first where my mom hasn't been there to dictate everything. My biggest fear is being that person that unknowingly breaks some major etiquette rule. Advice?

Like deck chairs. I know I will want to lounge in one. Every other time we went people had their chairs reserved with towels starting super early in the morning. Is that a no-no? If so, how do you get a chair later when they're all taken?

Keep me in line CC!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Like deck chairs. I know I will want to lounge in one. Every other time we went people had their chairs reserved with towels starting super early in the morning. Is that a no-no?

That is a big no no, especially on RCI.

Someone might take your towell, and you will be charged $25.

The best thing to do is take some yellow police tape and cordon off your area at sunrise.

I think you'll be fine. Just use your common sense and be polite.

As for deck chairs, you're not supposed to reserve them for more than 30 minutes on most cruise lines. Technically you can remove someone's stuff if it's been there for that long. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, so I always look for an empty chair. It's not too hard to find them if you get to the pools before 10:30-11 am. If you get there later you will probably have to search around on the upper decks, but you can usually find something.

That is a big no no, especially on RCI.

Someone might take your towell, and you will be charged $25.

The best thing to do is take some yellow police tape and cordon off your area at sunrise.

Haha!

We were sitting in the Crown Nest Lounge (Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas) waiting for our Meet and Mingle to begin. Looking down we saw the pool attendants going around placing yellow stickes on the lounge chairs writing which we believed to be the time.

After our meet we looked down and most of the stickes were gone and the chairs were occupied but we couldn't tell if they were the originally persons who held the chairs or new people who found chairs emptied of books, towels, sandals, etc.

In all of our cruises with RCL we never saw yellow stickes on the lounge chair. I sort of wich I see more of this on my upcoming cruises even though you will never see us near the pool area.

What about etiquette beside chairs?

Like what.

I general the etiquite would be the same as on land. Generally, if you treat others as you want to be treated, you are OK.

One difference from land restaurants is that if the buffet is crowded, people will look to join a table that has room.

If you notice the chairs have stuff on them & no one returns for 45min or more ask the deck staff to remove them ..then use the chair

I do not discuss how much I paid for my cruise , religion & politics

Others may feel these topic are appropriate dinner conversation but I do not

YMMV

not to sound rude... but you have been on 5 cruises and don't know good cruise etiquette yet??? and i assume you are not a 18 year old kid either seeings how your married...

If you have to preface with "not to sound rude," typically the comment is rude. It's been 10 years since my last cruise. Back then saving chairs on the cruises I attended was common place. Now it's not. Don't complain when people don't know these things if you're going to be less than kind when they ask for pointers/updates.

Probably the best piece of advise is to just use common sense and good manners. Unfortunately, there are some people, not just on a cruise ship but anywhere you go on vacation, that tend to not do that. There are some folks in this world that only care about themselves and take on the attitude of "To hell with everyone else." They're the ones I'd like to see labeled as "Does not share well with others".:rolleyes:

What about etiquette beside chairs?

That's a very large question.

What do you mean?

A tutorial in basic good manners most of us learn from our 'mama's knee'? The same good manners one (hopefully) uses in their everyday life should be in use everywhere in their life.

I'm sure I don't understand your question as I can't fathom how to answer it but I am very interested to see what you mean.

If you notice the chairs have stuff on them & no one returns for 45min or more ask the deck staff to remove them ..then use the chair

I do not discuss how much I paid for my cruise , religion & politics

Others may feel these topic are appropriate dinner conversation but I do not

YMMV

I agree....... :)

I never wish to discuss politics, sex, money or religion I am just getting to know.

Those sort of conversations do not often go well. :D :eek:

If you have to preface with "not to sound rude," typically the comment is rude. It's been 10 years since my last cruise. Back then saving chairs on the cruises I attended was common place. Now it's not. Don't complain when people don't know these things if you're going to be less than kind when they ask for pointers/updates.

Personally, I feel your question was prefectly acceptible.

Good manners are the same whether on a ship or on land! There is no specific "cruise ettiquette"!

And, yes...chair saving for later use is frowned upon.....it's posted that it's not allowed. If you go later in the day, and can't find a chair, ask a pool attendant to find you one. There are generally plenty....it's just that they all can't be within 2 feet of the pool! The upper decks are less crowded and more pleasant, anyway!

Besides chairs....if you have an assigned dining time and you're not going to eat in the MDR, let your waiter and your tablemates know you won't be eating there. Otherwise, they'll sit there for 20 or 30 minutes waiting for you to arrive.

Besides chairs....if you have an assigned dining time and you're not going to eat in the MDR, let your waiter and your tablemates know you won't be eating there. Otherwise, they'll sit there for 20 or 30 minutes waiting for you to arrive.

That's one I was wondering about. How long to wait for tablemates.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The waiters will usually help you here. If it is looking like someone will not show up they will start taking orders. If the late people show, they will just slow down the others.

We are always punctual, so we always say the first night that if we are 5 minutes late, we are not coming. That eliminates the running around if you are late from a tour or such

Stewards will guide how long to wait. As a rule, it would never be more than 15 minutes but is the height of rudeness IMO to not let someone know you aren't coming if you know that in advance.

To keep tablemates waiting when you could have advised someone isn't very nice IMO

Obviously is an unexpected situation arises, that is different.

Since people don't reserve chairs, I assume anything left on a chair was forgetten and turn it in to the lost and found so the people can get it back if they remember

Where's the "like" button!!! Oh yeah, this is not facebook!

This is good advice. On our recent Navigator cruise whenever we decided to eat in a specialty restaurant or in the buffet area we always let our tablemates and our wait staff know. To us it is common courtesy then to just not show up.

Just once, in all of our cruises, we were late coming to dinner because a staff member stopped to talk to us. We knew him from all of our cruises on The Voyater and we recognized us waiting to get into the dining room. When we arrived at our table ten mintues later we told both our wait staff and our table mates know that if we are ever late again please do not wait for us and to just go ahead and order. Again common courtesy.

I think it's a good idea to ask about things you are unsure about! We had been on several cruises before learning about the no show thing . On our Majesty cruise DH opted not to go to the MDR on 2 of the 4 nights, and boy the cold shoulder we got when we returned was unbelievable!

Since then I always tell our tablemates that if we are late then we are eating somewhere else and not to wait for us. Sometimes we don't plan on missing dinner but will if we have a late lunch.

Sometimes it gets frustrating trying to find a lounger in the right place. Some want sun and some shade. DH and I will take turns going for lunch to keep our loungers ( I don't feel like leaving my belongings unattended) so when we are leaving the chairs are totally up for grabs!

Archived