Vancouver pier to airport

shofer

After our Alaska cruise we are booked for a 10:30 AM flight to Seattle for our connecting Alaska Airlines flight back to Chicago. The TA was all for finding us the best fare possible. It looks like we are going to do early-off hauling our luggage.

My question is how close is to the pier are the taxis? This will be a Monday morning and we need to get to the Vancouver airport as early as possible.

Princess would not give us transfers because our flight were before 11 AM.

Starting to think this is going to be a nightmare if we miss this flight as there is only one other one going to Seattle early enough to make our connection and that will most likely be sold out.

Our TA said she could by us a preferred stand by seat for $25 on that flight within 6 hrs just in case. I really don't like to have such a stressful end to my trip but the TA seemed to think this was very doable.

Sue

Ugh - don't do it! Way too early. After noon is recommended for flights from Seattle. If the ship doesn't clear or is delayed - for whatever reason - you are cooked. As you yourself said, do you really want to end a relaxing and amazing voyage with that kind of stress? Better still would be to tack on an extra day after your cruise disembarks. Spend some time in Seattle or the outlying area, get a hotel near the airport and catch the earliest flight out the next morning. If that scenario isn't possible, book a later flight after disembarkment.

Oops! sorry about that, I just caught that this is flying from Vancouver to Seattle - but it doesn't really make a difference, still way too early to fly out of Vancouver (customs, traffic, etc) to make a 10:30AM flight. Instead, stay in Vancouver for most of the day, then maybe take the late train to Seattle, spend the night near the airport and fly out the next morning.

For any international flight you're supposed to be at the airport 3 hrs prior to departure. http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/cruise_ship/cruise_ship_departures.aspx

Way too close for my comfort level, but since the flights are already booked, I'd have a car reserved, with a 7am pickup. And I'd fnd a new TA. Good luck!

My question is how close is to the pier are the taxis? This will be a Monday morning and we need to get to the Vancouver airport as early as possible.

Sue

To answer your question... after you clear Canadian Customs you follow the signs for ground transportation and as you leave the building the taxis are waiting. We had a terminal employee assisting with directing passengers to available cabs.

We had an early flight out of Vancouver last Aug and I was concerned as you are. We carried our luggage off, cleared Canadian Customs, took the cab ride to the airport, checked in at the airline counter, cleared airport security and when the U.S. Customs agent asked how long was our stay in Canada I looked at my watch and told her one hour and five minutes. :) 8:35 AM

Get in line early for self-disembarkation and hope for the best.

Good Luck

Ugh - don't do it! Way too early. After noon is recommended for flights from Seattle. If the ship doesn't clear or is delayed - for whatever reason - you are cooked. As you yourself said, do you really want to end a relaxing and amazing voyage with that kind of stress? Better still would be to tack on an extra day after your cruise disembarks. Spend some time in Seattle or the outlying area, get a hotel near the airport and catch the earliest flight out the next morning. If that scenario isn't possible, book a later flight after disembarkment.

Oops! sorry about that, I just caught that this is flying from Vancouver to Seattle - but it doesn't really make a difference, still way too early to fly out of Vancouver (customs, traffic, etc) to make a 10:30AM flight. Instead, stay in Vancouver for most of the day, then maybe take the late train to Seattle, spend the night near the airport and fly out the next morning.

Changing our flights and staying an extra day are not possible. Maybe next time we will stay an extra day at the end.

Sue

To answer your question... after you clear Canadian Customs you follow the signs for ground transportation and as you leave the building the taxis are waiting. We had a terminal employee assisting with directing passengers to available cabs.

We had an early flight out of Vancouver last Aug and I was concerned as you are. We carried our luggage off, cleared Canadian Customs, took the cab ride to the airport, checked in at the airline counter, cleared airport security and when the U.S. Customs agent asked how long was our stay in Canada I looked at my watch and told her one hour and five minutes. :) 8:35 AM

Get in line early for self-disembarkation and hope for the best.

Good Luck

Thanks, Larry. Someone on the Canada board also suggested taking the Skytrain. Glad you told us about getting in line early. I thought we would have to wait to be called. I guess it is doable. Our TA is very good and she wouldn't book us this way if it were not possible.

Sue

One question for you: "Do you feel lucky?" I have disembarked from Canada Place quite a few times and wouldn't book my flight that early. You mentioned that your TA is good --- is she booking your flight based on personal experience? All it takes is a minor hiccup like the ship not being cleared right away or not enough personnel at the Immigration counters to slow your departure process down --- we have been there and its not worth the anxiety. If you are traveling first class you might make up some lost time (if you experience any) with smaller check-in lines at the airport.

Since you are sailing with Princess you might want to post your question on that board to see if anyone can share relevant experience with you.

I hope everything works out well for you. If not, you have that experience to fall back on the next time you make plans. :)

Thanks, Larry. Someone on the Canada board also suggested taking the Skytrain. Glad you told us about getting in line early. I thought we would have to wait to be called. I guess it is doable. Our TA is very good and she wouldn't book us this way if it were not possible.

Sue

Just for clarification, we were on RCI and I don't know how self-disembarkation works on Princess.

The Skytrain will eliminate any possible traffic delays but would require you to carry your luggage to the closest station and puchase a ticket to ride. From what I've read many folks go this route.

Larry

• 1 month later...

Got great news from my TA this AM! We had booked a transfer with Princess at the initial booking but my TA had forgotten about it. While making the final payment today, the TA was informed by Princess that the transfer was included and valid.

Supposedly for Princess Air the cut-off time for early flight is 10:15 AM and this is what Princess uses for their early transfers to the airport. So I guess we had a lot of angst and worry for nothing. Princess guarantees getting us to the airport in time to check in for our flight.

Sue

Got great news from my TA this AM! We had booked a transfer with Princess at the initial booking but my TA had forgotten about it. While making the final payment today, the TA was informed by Princess that the transfer was included and valid.

Supposedly for Princess Air the cut-off time for early flight is 10:15 AM and this is what Princess uses for their early transfers to the airport. So I guess we had a lot of angst and worry for nothing. Princess guarantees getting us to the airport in time to check in for our flight.

Sue

I urge you to get this all in writing; I won't say that you can't make a 1030 flight but it is extremely tight. Add to the mix that there may well be cuts to the number of CBP officers at YVR due to the US budget measures and....well who can predict.

Sue

That is good news. There are still so many things that can go wrong to make this not work. However, at least you know that Princess is invested in you making the flight. They will give you the earliest possible time to leave the ship. Customs is out of their control.

That is good news. There are still so many things that can go wrong to make this not work. However, at least you know that Princess is invested in you making the flight. They will give you the earliest possible time to leave the ship. Customs is out of their control.

Princess is NOT at all "invested" in anyone making flights. If it is missed, where do you think Princess is in the mix- they got you to the airport- their ONLY obligation.

I have flown out of Vancouver several times- no way, would I go with this transfer- all the extra time, loading, unloading, multiple stops etc. You've got to be kidding. International flights, need 2 hours prior- you are going to be there by 8:30am?? In traffic, which is a given in Vancouver- most of the transit is congested stop and go traffic, not freeways. I have been in lines over 2 hours, no way to predict either what the waits will be.

Have you been to Vancouver before? Are you open to taking skytrain which is the only option I would consider?

Do you understand fully, the limitations/restrictions of your airline ticket? Don't just think you will get on the "next" flight. You aren't getting on, if there aren't any seats. It will be your fault for missing it, not the airlines or anyone else.

All considerations to cover and have back up plans for.

Our TA is very good and she wouldn't book us this way if it were not possible.

Sue

I would ask, how many times has she made this flight from a cruise ship? I wouldn't be surprised if she hasn't even been there. :)

Just for clarification, we were on RCI and I don't know how self-disembarkation works on Princess.

The Skytrain will eliminate any possible traffic delays but would require you to carry your luggage to the closest station and puchase a ticket to ride. From what I've read many folks go this route.

Larry

Sky train is an excellent option if you are arriving at Canada Place - if you are arriving at Ballantyne Pier and wanted to take Sky Train, then you would need to get a cab to Waterfront Station before getting on Sky Train. Sky Train is MUCH quicker (and cheaper) than a cab especially as you will be arriving during the rush hour and the pier is right downtown. It is a 22 minute ride on Sky Train from Waterfront to YVR - by cab it would take at least 45 minutes and that is assuming that there are no traffic delays. Traffic delays in Vancouver - ha ha ha - of course there would be delays, there always are

I would ask, how many times has she made this flight from a cruise ship? I wouldn't be surprised if she hasn't even been there. :)

Most US travel agents have no idea that you have to be at major Canadian airports extra early for flights to the USA, because you clear US Immigration&Customs prior to getting into the departure wing. That extra step; vs flying domestically or even to countries other than the USA; can easily eat an hour.

Yes, she has done this before and that is why she booked the Princess transfer. EZ Air uses the same flight we are booked on so they must be somewhat confident that it is doable.

DH & I have disembarked in Vancouver twice before and have gone through Canadian & US customs. I don't remember it being an ordeal.

Sue

DH & I have disembarked in Vancouver twice before and have gone through Canadian & US customs. I don't remember it being an ordeal.

Sue

That means it isn't?

I 'm glad you have your plans in place. Selective information, you have certainly gotten.

OP, you have gotten some very good information and advice from posters on this thread. I fly domestic from Vancouver to my home airport and would NOT consider a 10:30 flight. One trip home, I was in a huge rush, did self-disembark, and still only made it in time for an 11 a.m. flight. AND I didn't have to clear US Immigration.

You sound committed to this course of action, despite the valid warnings you have gotten, and I hope it works out for you.

OP, you have gotten some very good information and advice from posters on this thread. I fly domestic from Vancouver to my home airport and would NOT consider a 10:30 flight. One trip home, I was in a huge rush, did self-disembark, and still only made it in time for an 11 a.m. flight. AND I didn't have to clear US Immigration.

You sound committed to this course of action, despite the valid warnings you have gotten, and I hope it works out for you.

This poster is looking for selective posts, and place a lot of confidence in their decision and TA. (it is interesting this TA did the same flight and cruise, I hope it was several times)

They also hopefully are fully aware of what they purchased/restrictions of their airline ticket, and and have no assumption they will have availability of any later flights- which run full cruise days. Should also have back up plans for an over night.

Choices have been made suitable to the OP, with no interest in any changes- that certainly can be made. Not sure why all the details were given in the post, instead of just inquiring about Canada Place to airport transfers?

They also hopefully are fully aware of what they purchased/restrictions of their airline ticket, and and have no assumption they will have availability of any later flights- which run full cruise days. Should also have back up plans for an over night.

From the US flights to our "home airport" are not great :( so we are resigned to sometimes sitting around for many hours for our chosen flight, rather than risk missing an earlier flight and then having to route Tampa -> Phoenix -> Salt Lake City -> Houston -> home or whatever other insane combinations would be needed :D I'd rather be sitting in an airport than fussing around trying to make NEW plans for a return trip because we missed the early flight.

Some people, though, are more adaptable than I am :D

Yes, she has done this before and that is why she booked the Princess transfer. EZ Air uses the same flight we are booked on so they must be somewhat confident that it is doable.

Sue

One of the 4 or 5 lines we had to wait in at Vancouver was at least 45 minutes long. They tell you to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight. IMHO, that is not enough time.

We were scheduled for a 1:45pm flight on Alaska Airlines to Seattle to catch our. Connecting flight home to DFW. I received an email yesterday from Alaska Air stating that our flight has been changed to a 10:30 departure. We had planned to carry off our bags also. What if anything can we do since the airline changed the flight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We were scheduled for a 1:45pm flight on Alaska Airlines to Seattle to catch our. Connecting flight home to DFW. I received an email yesterday from Alaska Air stating that our flight has been changed to a 10:30 departure. We had planned to carry off our bags also. What if anything can we do since the airline changed the flight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would contact them immediately and ask to be put on a later flight! In order to have time to get through customs at YVR, international flights require that you be at the airport no later that 2 hours before the flight and there is no way you will be there by 8:30 AM!

I appreciate all the input and have to say that if I could make changes at this time I would but it appears all the flights are full and my cruising partner has to be back to work on Tuesday. I am retired and could stay another night in Vancouver but she cannot. Also any changes at this time, if possible, would be very expensive and not within our budget.

Like I posted previously, I will post on arriving home about our experience with transfers and flights.

Sue

Archived