Is Concierge Class worth it on S-class ship?

slp123

I've heard those stories, but on my last cruise thru the canal, my friends and I booked 3 of the 6 FV corner cabins and none of us got moved. My feeling is I'd book it if available and assume I'm good until told otherwise. Then I'd push for a suite. :rolleyes:

Were there only two of you per each FV? If so, then that was a great deal.

Edited by jackdiamond

Were there only two of you per each FV? If so, then that was a great deal.

Best cabin deal ever. Like a 1 bedroom apartment with a huge balcony. Going through the canal, we had 16 people out there with plenty of room to move about.

Just read the posts re this thread and then read the thread straight after of 'select versus elite' and bookmarked a link from Celebrity's website about the different Captain Club Member benefits.

There I noticied that besides the extra point Concierge gets, now this also applies to AQ and suites.

You also get an extra point for a cruise of longer then 12 days.

IMHO, there are few reasons to book CC on S class, unless one is trying for the extra point to reach Elite, or if location is an issue. If flowers or champagne are your thing, you can generally order those for less money than the cost of the upgrade. The footstools are great, but I would not be paying all that $$ just for that. I've heard tell of inflatable ones you can purchase which serve the purpose just as well. Yes, the table is more conducive to eating on the balcony, but unless you do that often, again, is it worth the $$? I personally prefer the thinner towels - like to do the woman thing of wrapping the towel around my hair while I get ready and it's like wearing a helmet it is so heavy. The other perks seem minor as well.

This is of course always an individual decision based on what matters to you - I can only speak for myself. We will upgrade to CC primarily for location (already Elite) if the price differential is minimal, but otherwise not worth it IMHO even if we were not Elite.

I would not pay much extra for a concierge room--we do believe AQ has much more value.

We have friends who are Princess and Royal cruisers who have booked a Concierge for next week. I worry they think they are getting something more like a suite. They said they booked it because they could not get first seating when booking a regular room.

Not all rooms have the hand held shower-heads. I have to say I did miss it on our recent Silhouette cruise.

I also missed the larger towels--I never noticed this on M-class, but the regular S-class towels are a little on the skimpy side.

The footstool is nice.

This last cruise was the first time I ever saw anybody use the Concierge--they used her to cut in line in the on-line cafe.

We just booked our first Celebrity cruise and since the cost for the Concierge cabins was almost the same as a basic balcony cabin we went for Concierge.

A few days later I was reading a thread about the tier system and thought I'd check it out. So I find out that we get 3 tier points on this cruise. 1 for the cruise; 1 for the Concierge cabin; and 1 for a 14-day cruise. That's one sweet hat trick!! :):)

Given that a Veranda and Concierge Stateroom are identical in size and layout on S-class ships, is the additional fare charged for a Concierge cabin worth it?

Before you answer, assume that the two cabins that I am being offered are almost identical in location, halfway between the two sets of elevator banks, with the C2 Concierge cabin on deck 10 and the 1B Veranda on deck 9.

So the question is are the additional amenities/services worth the extra cost for the cabin. For me the extra cost would be about $275 for a 7 day cruise. On the one hand that is not a lot of money unless the "extra's" are of little value. For me, please assume the following have no value:

• The upgraded toiletries; I always bring my own preferred brands
  • Extra hair dryer; I don't even use the one provided
  • All dining room arrangements and specialty reservations have already been completed and I got all my first choices
  • Shore excursions are all arranged
  • I don't drink blanc du blanc wine--it give me a headache
  • I pack my own satin robe; I find ship provided robes too warm in the tropics
  • Express Luggage delivery and priority disembarkation have no value as I carry my own luggage on and I use early self disembarkation
  • I will embark around 2pm so there will be no wait and I will not use a special port lounge for concierge class passengers

So beyond what I won't need or use, is the "Personalized Concierge service", some fruit and canape in the room, more breakfast choices on sea days when I order room service, a free shoe shine, a massaging showerhead (don't all staterooms have handheld showerheads, perhaps sans massage?) 2 footstools on the veranda and perhaps services and amenities that I don't know about (and would love to hear about) really worth the extra cost of $40/day. BTW I am not mocking what is provided, I am just making clear what will be of little or no value for me.

Really interested to hear from Celebrity Cruise loyalists who have experienced both.

It sounds to me like you already made up your mind when posting (or writing it out helped you realize you didn't need it). The only thing to consider on your list was the extra Captain's Club tier credit. If you are trying to get to Elite, that point is equivalent to a whole other cruise, which would be more expensive than $275. Of course, the benefits of the Elite membership aren't exactly huge money savers, but it's something to think about.

We are sailing Hong Kong to Singapore 17th February. Would like to go to Hanoi on 20th for the day, dont think we will stay over night there as sailing on following day at 1.00. We dock at Halong Bay does anyone have any recommendations for transport from Port to Hanoi please.

Thank you,

We are sailing Hong Kong to Singapore 17th February. Would like to go to Hanoi on 20th for the day, dont think we will stay over night there as sailing on following day at 1.00. We dock at Halong Bay does anyone have any recommendations for transport from Port to Hanoi please.

Thank you,

Hi, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Here's a link to your Roll Call with all the folks that are on your particular sailing. Best to ask the question there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1415749

Dilemma.... We can book a C3 cabin on our 2014 for $78.00 less than a 1A. We love the big balcony of the 1A but are thinking the extra Captains Club Point is a deal breaker. Thoughts?? :confused: We will be Select after our April cruise this year, so we have a ways to go before making it to Elite...but will enjoy getting there:)

Dilemma.... We can book a C3 cabin on our 2014 for $78.00 less than a 1A. We love the big balcony of the 1A but are thinking the extra Captains Club Point is a deal breaker. Thoughts?? :confused: We will be Select after our April cruise this year, so we have a ways to go before making it to Elite...but will enjoy getting there:)

I like being Elite. And being Elite also got me some very nice diamond benefits on RCI.

So, if I were select, I'd book C3 for less money and an extra point.

The big balcony sound delightful, but I'd want that point more. Opinions will vary.

I'd rather have the priority boarding (negligible I guess) and extra point. I've never had a 1A balcony to know what I'm missing out on though :D

I like being Elite. And being Elite also got me some very nice diamond benefits on RCI.

So, if I were select, I'd book C3 for less money and an extra point.

The big balcony sound delightful, but I'd want that point more. Opinions will vary.

That is what I am thinking. We have the 1A booked but will probably change...love that big balcony, though:)

Given that a Veranda and Concierge Stateroom are identical in size and layout on S-class ships, is the additional fare charged for a Concierge cabin worth it?

Before you answer, assume that the two cabins that I am being offered are almost identical in location, halfway between the two sets of elevator banks, with the C2 Concierge cabin on deck 10 and the 1B Veranda on deck 9.

So the question is are the additional amenities/services worth the extra cost for the cabin. For me the extra cost would be about $275 for a 7 day cruise. On the one hand that is not a lot of money unless the "extra's" are of little value. For me, please assume the following have no value:

• All dining room arrangements and specialty reservations have already been completed and I got all my first choices
  • Express Luggage delivery and priority disembarkation have no value as I carry my own luggage on and I use early self disembarkation
  • I will embark around 2pm so there will be no wait and I will not use a special port lounge for concierge class passengers

So beyond what I won't need or use, is the "Personalized Concierge service", some fruit and canape in the room, more breakfast choices on sea days when I order room service, a free shoe shine, a massaging showerhead (don't all staterooms have handheld showerheads, perhaps sans massage?) 2 footstools on the veranda and perhaps services and amenities that I don't know about (and would love to hear about) really worth the extra cost of $40/day. BTW I am not mocking what is provided, I am just making clear what will be of little or no value for me.

Really interested to hear from Celebrity Cruise loyalists who have experienced both.

No it's not worth it and I've done both :) to the person who,said they like CC for the better bedding, it's the same in all balcony cabins. I know this because I have sensitive skin and looked into this at length. Also you can get the bigger softer towels if you request them and need them :)

Edited by DebbieMacG

Debbie, I noticed that you are only cruising on S class ships I was on the Equinox and could "live on that ship"...We had a veranda and it was lovely I am on the Century next week to Hawaii and "opted" for CC class.........due to an older ship and location location location!! It wasn't much more for that class I enjoy reading all the posts about the CC class vs regular Also, I would like to add that I won't be doing any "speciality restaurants" for this cruise HOPEFULLY, the food in MDR will be as outstanding as it was on the EQUINOX........We had one night at Tuscanny and couldn't wait to get back to the MDR.........to us there was nothing exceptional in that restaurant I have framed two menu's from the EQUINOX that I have hanging in my dining room..............I hope I will not be dissapointed with the CENTURY ALOHA.....afterall..........you know CELEBRITY has such a great following with their great chef's and menu's that TOP CHEF is having a cruise in APRIL...............I am hoping to win a trip on that one

I believe that CC is better on the older ships because the cabins are bigger and better located, I'm sure someone will pop on and confirm this or tell me I'm wrong? :)

I love the S class ships and that cabin feels like my second home, I would love to try the other ships also :o

Have a fantastic cruise xxx

I believe that CC is better on the older ships because the cabins are bigger and better located, I'm sure someone will pop on and confirm this or tell me I'm wrong? :)

I love the S class ships and that cabin feels like my second home, I would love to try the other ships also :o

Regarding CC cabins on older ships, you are right, they are slightly larger than a regular Veranda cabin.

I want to thank you all for your opinions and interesting points of view. We all understand that the value is in the eye of the beholder. Anyway I loved all the comments about liking fresh flowers ad fresh fruit in the room. We always order fresh flowers from the ship or carry a bouquet on board (depending where we are embarking) if the cabin we booked does not come with flowers. And I have found it easy to have fresh fruit in the room...either you bring it yourself from the buffet or you order from room service. Which raises a question . . . can you order fresh fruit (not a fresh fruit platter, but uncut whole fruit) room service on Celebrity. We did so on HAL, the only other cruise line that I have been on that did not include that amenity in all cabins.

I think it all depends on if you can get a deal. Sometimes when there is a price drop Concierge cabins will go for less. If that's the case then it can be worth the up charge. Being able to board earlier and having priority luggage delivery are nice perks but I wouldn't pay a great deal more for it.

You are correct vis-a-vis CC on the M class. AS far as we are concerned, AQ is our preference on the S class.

We thought about trying AQ on our upcoming cruise, but decided that since we mostly eat healthy in our normal lives we really didn't want to eat at a health food restaurant on the ship (need a vacation from that as well). We also like sitting at tables with other cruisers and it looked to us like the tables in Blu are mostly made for smaller groups. We know you can eat in the MDR if you are in AQ, but we don't really use the spa services so the extra cost for AQ doesn't seem worth it if you don't want to eat in Blu anyway. CC is the next best thing IMO.

Tom

You are correct vis-a-vis CC on the M class. AS far as we are concerned, AQ is our preference on the S class.

If you are not in search of an extra point to boost your CC standing, it doesn't appear the concierge class will offer you anything better than what you could get in a standard balcony. We always cruise concierge class or Aqua but that's simply because I like the flowers, I like seeing a bucket of bubbly greeting me when I first open the door, and I like having that footrest. YMMV ;)

Mee Too!

Though my husband doesn't give a hoot about anything in the CC "package", I do, and since I do the planning of our vacations, with little or no input from my hubby, I pick what I want. :D He understands that if I'm happy he's happy and I haven't heard a complaint yet about what I choose for vacations.

Our next cruise is 19 days on the Solstice in one of the highly recommended CC cabins (1108) and I can't wait. I love all the little perks, and all the little things add up to a "big" for me.

We thought about trying AQ on our upcoming cruise, but decided that since we mostly eat healthy in our normal lives we really didn't want to eat at a health food restaurant on the ship (need a vacation from that as well). We also like sitting at tables with other cruisers and it looked to us like the tables in Blu are mostly made for smaller groups. We know you can eat in the MDR if you are in AQ, but we don't really use the spa services so the extra cost for AQ doesn't seem worth it if you don't want to eat in Blu anyway. CC is the next best thing IMO.

Tom

Blu is *NOT* a "health-food restaurant". They have a "Clean Eating" concept, which means they don't load things up with unhealthy rich sauces. I eat "healthy" all the time, and I eat at restaurants all the time as well. Restaurants I look for have a focus on high quality ingredients rather than sauces to mask the poor quality ingredients. Blu is very similar.

I personally just booked a Sky Suite because I want the Butler service, but would prefer Blu to MDR.

On my last X cruise, we went to every speciality restaurant at least once (and Murano multiple times), as well as Blu. We liked Murano best, Blu second, the other speciality restaurants third. From the prior X cruise, I tried the MDR, and was completely unimpressed.

• 2 years later...
We like concierge for the dining table on the balcony. We enjoy breakfast served on the balcony every morning, with a table cloth and flowers, and that is the only reason we buy that level as the little cocktail table just wouldn't do. The other perks are nice(flowers, sparkling wine, appetizers) but is not a deal breaker. The table is my main reason.

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

Is this something that is still offered for CC on S class ships? Is there any charge to have breakfast setup on your balcony? Thanks!