Packing formal wear...

Jodi3284

Any tips on how you pack your formal wear to prevent wrinkling as much as possible?? I normally avoid formal nights but am taking the plunge this cruise as we are celebrating our anniversary and Valentines. I am finding myself lost as to how to pack with minimum wrinkling. What are your tricks?

Any tips on how you pack your formal wear to prevent wrinkling as much as possible?? I normally avoid formal nights but am taking the plunge this cruise as we are celebrating our anniversary and Valentines. I am finding myself lost as to how to pack with minimum wrinkling. What are your tricks?

DH and I use the ship's dry cleaning service. It's great, cheaper than my home cleaner, and you always look "shipshape". :D

Seriously, use the Ship's Dry Cleaner and don't put yourself thru the headache of trying to keep things from being wrinkled.

Sorry, posting from iPhone and that previous entry went unintentionally. Having a hard time figuring how to edit/delete from phone. Anyhow...

Packing techniques have not worked well for me. Even the best tricks seem to leave SOME noticeable wrinkles. So my wife and I have decided to use the ships laundry to have out formal wear pressed when we arrive on the ship. I saw a price list in one of the threads and the prices were reasonable. So, that may be an option worth considering.

Easy. We pack each suit, dress, etc separately on its hanger in a plastic dry-cleaning bag, and then pack in a garment bag. Even with folding over and zipping up the bag the night before leaving, everything still comes out perfectly. We have done this on every cruise and have never had to use the steamer or ship's pressing service.

I was skeptical that this method would work, but after the first try, I was sold.

Teddie

Easy. We pack each suit, dress, etc separately on its hanger in a plastic dry-cleaning bag, and then pack in a garment bag. Even with folding over and zipping up the bag the night before leaving, everything still comes out perfectly. We have done this on every cruise and have never had to use the steamer or ship's pressing service.

I was skeptical that this method would work, but after the first try, I was sold.

Teddie

Yep... Works like a charm and I don't have to waste space with steamers and wrinkle release stuff... Also don't have to devote time to using those things:)

Teddie

This has always worked for us, too! Also, when we get our luggage, the garment bag is unpacked immediately. While transferring things to the closet, if we find a wrinkled garment, a few minutes of hanging it in a steamy shower (being careful to avoid splashing) usually does the trick! :cool:

I have heard many times about the dry cleaning bag method but never tried it. I was skeptical to say the least. Last month I had to take a trip that I needed a suit for. I was brining only a carry-on. I figured that I would try putting my suit in a dry cleaning bag and see what happened. I figured worst case scenario I would iron it when I got to the hotel. Well... I had to fold it twice and then cram it into my carry-on with my other clothes. It was in crammed in there for 13 hours. When I got to the hotel and took it out of the bag, there was not a wrinkle in it!

I have become a firm believer in the dry cleaning bag method.

Our vacations up to now have only needed shorts and swimwear, we've never had a need for a garment bag so I'm not sure what to look for.

Would you mind posting which type of garment bag works well. There's so many different bags to choose from. Photo's are good too;)

Do you use it as a carry-on on your flight and the ship or do you check it with the rest of your luggage?

Teddie

Teddie knows best. But, if you somehow slip up, everyone else is right...use the pressing service from the ship the first night and you'll be pressed and sharp.;)

When we fly we skip the garment bag and us the services onboard. :)

We are leaving home on Friday morning to drive to Nashville to drop off our little guy with family then flying into Fl on Saturday morning. So your right as that is quite a long time for clothes to be all bunched up as well as worrying about another checked bag. I think I will just figure on having to use the services offered onboard.

another for the dry cleaner.

but honestly i'm curious to try this plastic bag technique... wonder why it works?

I think the plastic prevents the fabrics from "rubbing" together...kinda acts like teflon for clothes ? I know this sounds crazy, and not very scientific :)

All I know is that it works!

Teddie

Our vacations up to now have only needed shorts and swimwear, we've never had a need for a garment bag so I'm not sure what to look for.

Would you mind posting which type of garment bag works well. There's so many different bags to choose from. Photo's are good too;)

Do you use it as a carry-on on your flight and the ship or do you check it with the rest of your luggage?

The typical garment bag I use is too large for carry-on, so I check it when flying. I have used this method successfully with any kind of hanging garment bag that opens up like a book and has a section for packing clothes on hangers, then folds over and zips closed.

This also worked with gently folding the plastic-enclosed outfit on its hanger into thirds, and laying it in a carry-on roller bag, for shorter trips, like cruiseguy mentions.

I also have one of those really huge suitcases (too big for flying, IMO) that has an interior flip-section panel that can accommodate clothes on hangers. As long as the garments are in plastic, and tied down with the interior straps, I've had no problems.

Teddie

I don't pack until the last minute. If we fly, I pack before we get into the airport and unpack as soon as we get to the hotel and then pack in the morning before leaving for the ship. If we drive, I leave the formal wear hanging in the SUV until we get to our park n ride and then pack it. Usually it hangs pretty good. I also use Downey Release and that helps quite a bit. I have never had to sent anything out to get pressed so guess what I do works.

I've used the dry cleaner bags and they always work. But....... if you don't have them (or run out), a plastic garbage bag cut open works just as well. Also, If you use the extra large zip lock bags (the really, really large ones) and pack tee shirts in them, squeeze/press the air out - they too won't get wrinkled AND save a lot on space. I use them for under garments too.

Archived