Silver Shadow: the worst cruise food we have ever had

Dmgmd50

I expressed the same views as part of Stumblfoot's attempt to address all these problems in a letter to Betteridge. As expected, it fell on stony ground, she is only interested in profit and until numbers drop to a critical level, could not care less what people think of SS.

I am giving it one last chance (after a lot of soul searching and nearly cancelling) but if it is as bad as a lot of posters have alluded that is it, and I/we will not be back.

I WILL have reached the point where I am hoping they fail so that I can gloat that we told them so!!!!!

Just to let you know, I did get a letter from SS Guest Relations and have spoken to the director of the department in Florida. He was very receptive to my remarks and said that all the issues will be looked into. Perhaps I am naive but I was very satisfied with his response.

Just to let you know, I did get a letter from SS Guest Relations and have spoken to the director of the department in Florida. He was very receptive to my remarks and said that all the issues will be looked into. Perhaps I am naive but I was very satisfied with his response.

This is very encouraging...

Did he have anything to say in Silversea's defence?

Did he concede that it was sub par and won't happen again?

Please continue to give hope to us future, and somewhat irresolute SilverSea first timers

This is very encouraging...

Did he have anything to say in Silversea's defence?

Did he concede that it was sub par and won't happen again?

Please continue to give hope to us future, and somewhat irresolute SilverSea first timers

He did not say anything in defence, but seemed quite upset that this would happen. He hopes that we will sail again with them to see that our experience was not typical. He did indicate that all the things we discussed would be used constructively so that hopefully it will be corrected.

He did not say anything in defence, but seemed quite upset that this would happen. He hopes that we will sail again with them to see that our experience was not typical. He did indicate that all the things we discussed would be used constructively so that hopefully it will be corrected.

It's certainly "mission accomplished" from there point of view if you are now positively disposed to SS. The real test is if something does actually happen as a result AND he comes back to you to update you with what concrete actions they have taken.

What sort of refund where you offered?

What makes you believe the OP was offered a refund? I don't see where the OP mentioned a refund anywhere in his update to the situation.

Seems to me you are trying to stir the pot while the OP was satisfied with the response he received.

It's certainly "mission accomplished" from there point of view if you are now positively disposed to SS. The real test is if something does actually happen as a result AND he comes back to you to update you with what concrete actions they have taken.

I never expected a refund and did not get one. I was offered a credit for another cruise in the next two years, not enough to entice me to try SS again unless I hear much better reports.

I never expected a refund and did not get one. I was offered a credit for another cruise in the next two years, not enough to entice me to try SS again unless I hear much better reports.

That's fine. Glad you are happy with the outcome.

This is simply my opionion.

If it were me I would insist on a substantial refund because what I had purchased had not been provided. I'd also accept - apart from the refund - an offer of a substantial dicount on a future cruise. The refund is in my interest and future discount gives SS the opportunity too win back a customer and prove they have improved. These are two seperate issues. Apart from words, SS's money saving tactics have cheated you out of the experience you have paid for and perfectly right to expect, and has cost them not a bean.

It is a pretty straight forward breach of contract. By paying more than you should have done and not requesting a refund you are potentially proving to SS's management that even with a determined customer their behaviour is without any penalty. It therefore offers SS management very little immediate incentive to actually change things.

I was involved in a substantial holiday claim in the UK for an expensive holiday nearly 30 years ago, when after a 5 day hearing the judge awarded a 75% refund and a large amount for "vexation, aggravation and inconvenience" - the total being more than the total holiday cost. This ws the first time this had happened in the UK. This became a case used as a precedent in subsequent claims and caused both the company to change and was a warning to other companies that they must simply provide what is "on the tin" or expect consequences if tested in court. In fact, if the company had dealt respectfully with my complaint and said "sorry" I would never had pursued the claim.

In my view this approach has nothing to do (whatsoever) with the compensation culture, which I abhor. This is to do with actually holding organisations properly responsible and fully accountable for what they do and an attempt to ensure that all customers receive what is promised. Not doing so provides an incentive for companies to continually making promises they have no intention of keeping which is bad for everyone. These are not comments made with the wish to "stir dissatisafaction up" as suggested earlier - but is intended to suggeest that customers can be in part responsible for the poor service they receive if they choose to be too compliant in letting companies get away with it. I guess I make the comment to make others think about it as clearly in your case this is now over, and that is fair enough.

Hope your next SS cruise is better than the last.:)

It is my understanding that there are laws in some part of the world that protect passengers from what you describe as "breach of contract". Such protections do not exist in the United States for cruise ship passengers. IMO, Silversea was generous in offering a future cruise credit to their passenger as they have no legal responsibility to do anything.

Oh please, Jeff. Suing because you didn't like the food? Breach of contract? I am traveling on the Shadow in two weeks and nowhere in my cruise contract does it say "you are guaranteed to love the food." Good lord. The OP didn't like the food. Not everyone on the ship, by his own admission, felt the same (although he does state that he was not alone.) A more recent cruiser on the Shadow, a woman named Badgerdee, wrote a review of her cruise and said that the food was delightful, and had plenty of berries. So just because one person's vocal opinion causes an uproar does not mean that financial restitution is warranted. I agree that Silversea's offer of a credit on a future cruise is more than gracious. If I was the cruise line, I might have just let it go and hoped the poster went to another cruise line and left the rest of us alone.

I will post about the food after my cruise. I am sure it will be just fine.

Oh please, Jeff. Suing because you didn't like the food? Breach of contract? I am traveling on the Shadow in two weeks and nowhere in my cruise contract does it say "you are guaranteed to love the food." Good lord. The OP didn't like the food. Not everyone on the ship, by his own admission, felt the same (although he does state that he was not alone.) A more recent cruiser on the Shadow, a woman named Badgerdee, wrote a review of her cruise and said that the food was delightful, and had plenty of berries. So just because one person's vocal opinion causes an uproar does not mean that financial restitution is warranted. I agree that Silversea's offer of a credit on a future cruise is more than gracious. If I was the cruise line, I might have just let it go and hoped the poster went to another cruise line and left the rest of us alone.

I will post about the food after my cruise. I am sure it will be just fine.

Will look forward to your posts!

NattilyAttired, Couldn't agree with you more. This is the kind of approach that makes lawyers rich and the rest of us roll our eyes. Let's take this to the extreme that our UK poster has. If I don't like a specific dish, should I notify the head of the dining room I'm suing for Breach of contract? According to his twisted and I suspect prosecutorial philosophy the judge in the UK and the jury in the US will roll over and say "case proved, refund all the fare and x amount for damages". Give me a break! I'm a good cook and yet I sometimes blow it, should DW sue me?:eek:

I think SS should have ignored this and as you said happily waved good bye.

Just back off a 31 day Spirit cruise and am happy to report that strawberries, blueberries and raspberries were available at the breakfast buffet for the entire cruise. On some days the blueberries and raspberries were by the fruit section, on other days you had to get them via a waiter, but available they were.

On the general food topic, the beef was excellent, fish was good, especially when we had fresh, and the vegetarians were tasty, but unfortunately we ran out before the end of the cruise.

On the general food topic, the beef was excellent, fish was good, especially when we had fresh, and the vegetarians were tasty, but unfortunately we ran out before the end of the cruise.

Good one, Spectre :D

Just back off a 31 day Spirit cruise and am happy to report that strawberries, blueberries and raspberries were available at the breakfast buffet for the entire cruise. On some days the blueberries and raspberries were by the fruit section, on other days you had to get them via a waiter, but available they were.

We were on the same cruise, and I agree with Silver Spectre's observations. We ate at all of the venues and were very pleased at each. The MDR featured more regional dishes from the areas we cruised than I can remember from most previous cruises. Wes, the papardelle with duck ragout is still alive and well in La Terrazza. We really enjoyed the entire STARS menu. Our Hot Rocks filets were excellent and a friend deemed its veal chop the best she'd ever had. Special meals were again easily arranged in the MDR and of excellent quality. Le Champagne was superb. Loved the Seishin fare, outstanding sushi/sashimi. Unfortunately, I didn't sample the vegetarians. :D

OK, the OP and others have made their point about the upset on their cruise. However, those who are commited to a cruise on the Shadow (us, for example) would like to hear more recent experiences (as being reported in another thread) rather than seeing this post float to the top again and again. This horse is dead. Please stop beating it!

Thanks so much for your Wellseasoned Spirit cuisine feedback. Know well how many days Debbie and you have sailed on SS (over a year) so your opinion is golden in our view. Can't wait to have multiple dinners in LT with Duck Ragout. We will miss sailing with Debbie and you on this Spring crossing, but look forward to cruising with you in November on the Fall Spirit crossing.

OK, the OP and others have made their point about the upset on their cruise. However, those who are commited to a cruise on the Shadow (us, for example) would like to hear more recent experiences (as being reported in another thread) rather than seeing this post float to the top again and again. This horse is dead. Please stop beating it!

Seeing things from your point of view, wouldn't it have been more logical to simply avoid this thread rather than nudging it forward with a further post.:o

i'm sure that nothing the OP or others have said will have any effect whatsoever on your cruise.

It is my understanding that there are laws in some part of the world that protect passengers from what you describe as "breach of contract". Such protections do not exist in the United States for cruise ship passengers. IMO, Silversea was generous in offering a future cruise credit to their passenger as they have no legal responsibility to do anything.

i hate to correct an American about American consumer legislation but you most certainly do have contract protection for people taking a cruise.

However what you do not have is consumer legislation to protect consumers from unfair contract terms which effectively allows companies to place in small writing unfair terms that immunise them from some claims for breaches of contract and other things they may do wrong. Effectively this means that when Americans buy tickets they sign away rights that British people do not.

I'm not clear why anyone would think that system is fairer to consumers than ours.

I hope that's helpfl.:)

IMO, Silversea was generous in offering a future cruise credit to their passenger...
I agree that Silversea's offer of a credit on a future cruise is more than gracious.
I agree and think it was indeed an appropriate gesture on behalf of SS. And, kudos to the OP for pursuing his dissatisfaction with SS.

That horse is not only dead, it's petrified!.....move on!

IMO, Silversea was generous in offering a future cruise credit to their passenger as they have no legal responsibility to do anything.

I agree that Silversea's offer of a credit on a future cruise is more than gracious.

I agree and think it was indeed an appropriate gesture on behalf of SS. And, kudos to the OP for pursuing his dissatisfaction with SS.

It strikes me as odd that people are able to arrive at the above conclusions when they do not know what the credit offered was and whether it was in addition to the daily public discounts widely available. The offer could well have amounted to zero percent for example if only one offer was allowed. All posters do know is that the OP (who does know what was offered) has said:

I was offered a credit for another cruise in the next two years, not enough to entice me to try SS again unless I hear much better reports.

I agree that this thread has probably reached it's end, and the main thing is that the OP thinks so .... unless someone else wishes to restart it?:D

How topical, time for a horse burger meethinks

Archived