Carnival Offers Generous Compensation to Triumph Passengers

LauraS

Check out the latest Carnival Cruise Line news from Cruise Critic:

I thought that a Senior Manager on these boards acted as moderators not cheerleaders for a particular cruise line. Is it really up to crise critic to decide what is and is not "generous compensation"?

In three weeks the stocks rebound?...

Have some more Kool Aid...

In three weeks investigators will find major deficincies in Carnival's procedures.

....... and there really was a consiracy to kill JFK;) Me thinks the kool aid dispenser has moved to the other side of the aisle. How did the stock do after the Splendor. I realsize it is not a daunted Janpanese corporation, but overall the stock seems fine to me. Maybe you should but some after the dip and before the resurgence.

I don't know why more people can't WAKE UP and realize a number of Carnival Cheerleaders are planted here. I easily see it, why can't others? Maybe this current episode will bring reality to light, but I am not betting the farm on it.

Rah! Rah! Goooooooooooo CARNIVAL!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

What is really mind-bending, is the number of people who would willingly, no, eagerly, take another cruise with Carnival.

I really am amazed!

There is nothing "generous" about that compensation at all. From what I've read about what these people have gone through Carnival ought to be paying them several thousand each. Even that wouldn't really be generous. Generous is when the rest of us say, "Gosh, I wish that had happen to me!"

Sadly , people are saying that. I have heard some say. " there is no such things as a bad sea day", some are saying they would gladly be on that ship and get a free cruise ! There was one guy on Carnival Cruise line Facebook page who asked if the free cruises were transferable if people didn't want to cruise ! He need 35 more days to become Diamond !!!......OMG, IT IS ABOUT THE PEOPLE FIRST. Carnival will be fine in the end. It's about the people both passengers and crew....

What is really mind-bending, is the number of people who would willingly, no, eagerly, take another cruise with Carnival.

I really am amazed!

Up until next year, Carnival is the "only game in town" in Galveston, so yeah, you cruise Carnival IF you want to cruise at all. After 2014 though, they have two lines of competition coming in...

Ah..I don't think so. We were on the 'sick' Liberty transatlantic a few years ago when hundreds were ill and two deaths occurred. We kept being told that the norovirius came on board with our sailing but our cabin steward told us 'not so'..they'd been battling it for 2 sailings prior to leaving Rome and, in fact, his assistant was in sick bay with it! So we all boarded a contaminated ship with not one word of warning and not even a 'washy, washy' program in place. If that had been my first cruise, it would have been my last. Plus, we had to listen to a certain 'weird', blowhard CD for 16 days. The reason for his popularity has always escaped us..but that is another story. And if, GF, I mention his name on this board this posting will disappear!

I've heard what Princess did around that same time under similar circumstances. It was on one of their RT cruises from CA to Hawaii and a number of norovirus cases had developed enroute. When they reached Hawaii, everyone was put in hotels until flights home for everyone could be arranged. They explained that they wanted to thoroughly decontaminate their ship and aviod more cases. They did not risk 'life and limb' to save a buck. Carnivals response to like circumstances does not bother me as much as their lies and lack of warning. Had they been up front and proper care taken, perhaps there would have been fewer cases and no deaths!!! Perhaps.......

Up until next year, Carnival is the "only game in town" in Galveston, so yeah, you cruise Carnival IF you want to cruise at all. After 2014 though, they have two lines of competition coming in...

RCL, Princess and Disney all sail from Galveston for part of the year. Princess is going to be moving from Galveston to Houston. New Orleans is not too far to drive and RCL and NCL both sail from there.

Yep. We have already discussed driving to NO for our next cruise. More options are available. I would miss the 45 min. Galveston drive though. Someone is posting that the Triumph MIGHT be out of service til late April, so, our 4-8 cruise is iffy right now. Thats JUST A RUMOR right now though.

I will welcome the increased competition coming to Galveston.

Yep. We have already discussed driving to NO for our next cruise. More options are available. I would miss the 45 min. Galveston drive though. Someone is posting that the Triumph MIGHT be out of service til late April, so, our 4-8 cruise is iffy right now. Thats JUST A RUMOR right now though.

Healthy competition is good for everyone, passengers and cruiselines.

Aren't Celebrity and HAL owned by Carnival Corp.?

On my last ship in the Navy we had a high pressure fuel line develop a small rupture which resulted in fuel being sprayed into the engineroom. If the rupture had occurred on the other side of the line then fuel would have been sprayed onto the hot engine which would have resulted in a fire. Nothing mechanical involved at all.

I'm pretty sure HA is, not so much Celebrity, which I believe is owned by RC.

Which doesn't really have anything to do with anything, if the lower priced line is hitting their price ponig by cutting back on maintenance it would not be unreasonable to expect that the line (HA in this example) with the higher prices and expectations from their market segment would probably have more lattitude in how they manage their variable costs.

I'm pretty sure HA is, not so much Celebrity, which I believe is owned by RC.

Which doesn't really have anything to do with anything, if the lower priced line is hitting their price ponig by cutting back on maintenance it would not be unreasonable to expect that the line (HA in this example) with the higher prices and expectations from their market segment would probably have more lattitude in how they manage their variable costs.

Please ignore the link in my message footer, I took it off an it looks like they put it back. That site is no longer operational.

I'll have another go at removing it now.

I completely agree that the compensation for the sailing on the 11th is vastly inadequate. On very short notice they were refunded for a cruise they did not take, refunded for airfare that was just a waste of time, and given a COUPON for a value of $2-300 MAX!

I am not saying this whole thing is Carnival's fault...accidents happen...but they need to make it right with the people they inconvenience. The people on the 11th sailing should have received the same future free criuse that the stranded passengers got. The people on the 16th cruise, since they at least got more notice, should get at least refunds plus 50% off future cruise..ANY cruise with Carnival.

Bear in mind that the stranded passengers, in addition to getting a future free cruise, also got all their drinks, specialty restaurants, and shore excursions comped for the 3 regular days they did have on their sailing. So they are getting a pretty fair deal. That said however, I'm sure it would cost Carnival close to nothing to give them a 25% coupon for their 2nd next cruise after the free one. Carnival would still be getting 75% revenue and insuring at least 2 more sailings for that guest.

The compensation for the stranded passengers is decent, but the cancelled sailings are really getting the shaft...all they really get is a discount coupon for all their inconvenience.

this is our thoughts exactly.. but.... how do we all go about making Carnival recognize that the 2/11 sailing is inconvenienced moreso than the 2/16 sailing and therefore should receive a better compensation package, as well as the ability to use the discoun toward ANY cruise, not just a 3-5 day trip.

Laura many people may never want to cruise again, what about mental pain and suffering? Will they give cash instead of another cruise, if not , it's not very generous because many will not want to cruise again especially with Carnival.

Well I just want to say that the first thing is to thanks God.

At least all the guests are fine.

My best friend was coming from south america a few years ago

the plane engine got fire it went down nobody survive.

Eep! I hope not, we're booked for this date as well! I was encouraged last night when I saw that the revamp of the Destiny took "a record 49 days" - thinking that if they did all of that in 49 surely the Triumph will sail sometime in March - so much uncertainty at this point :(

Eep! I hope not, we're booked for this date as well! I was encouraged last night when I saw that the revamp of the Destiny took "a record 49 days" - thinking that if they did all of that in 49 surely the Triumph will sail sometime in March - so much uncertainty at this point :(

ADDITIONAL CARNIVAL TRIUMPH CANCELLATIONS

February 13, 2013

Carnival Cruise Lines has announced the cancellations of 12 additional voyages of the Carnival Triumph following an engine room fire that has left vessel without propulsion. The 12 cancelled cruises, which encompass sailings from Feb. 21 through April 13, 2013, are in addition to two previously cancelled voyages scheduled to depart Feb. 11 and Feb. 16.

Guests on the affected sailings will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, as well as non-refundable transportation costs, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities, and government fees and taxes. Guests will also receive a 25 percent discount on a future three- to five-day Carnival cruise or a 15 percent discount on a six- to seven-day cruise. Travel agent commissions will be protected.

Carnival sincerely apologizes for this disruption in our guests’ vacation plans.

Carnival Triumph operates four- and five-day cruises from Galveston, Texas.

I agree, Carnival should have offloaded the passengers onto another ship, a coast guard ship, cargo ship, anything to get them off there.

It is not complicated and dangerous to take passengers off a ship. They have tenders all the time. Perhaps those that think it is dangerous have never been tendered into a port?

As for the compensation, offering a free future CCL cruise is a JOKE! Another CCL cruise would be the LAST vacation I would want. How about a free NCL or RCI cruise for compensation? Or better yet cash, so you can decide who you want to cruise with in the future?

Free future cruise?

Get real ... How many passengers from this ship, after suffering the miserable conditions they have had to endure are going to want to take another Carnival cruise in the future? > not many!

If past history on the Splendor is an example.......plenty

Great Idea Stewpapa, canceling another ship so Carnival could pick up the stranded passengers. Was there another ship available for that in the Gulf?

How about Carnival Magic? It left from Triumph's home port this past Sunday afternoon, roughly 8-9 hours after Triumphs's accident.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

I agree, Carnival should have offloaded the passengers onto another ship, a coast guard ship, cargo ship, anything to get them off there.

It is not complicated and dangerous to take passengers off a ship. They have tenders all the time. Perhaps those that think it is dangerous have never been tendered into a port? We've all tendered but into a port in calm waters, off of a ship that has power and is not listing. Last weeked people died during a lifeboat drill and that was not in open water. Those lifeboats are pretty small to be bobbing around in the Gulf of Mexico. It would be reckless.

It's a last resort.

As for the compensation, offering a free future CCL cruise is a JOKE! Another CCL cruise would be the LAST vacation I would want. How about a free NCL or RCI cruise for compensation? Or better yet cash, so you can decide who you want to cruise with in the future?

I don't know if I would take the offer or not. DH probably would, but would limit it to a very short cruise on a ship other than the Triumph.

Archived