Would you sue if you were on Triumph?

paulgraff

I've followed this thread pretty well and there are 2 types of people...

Type 1- Everything in the world happens as an act of God, I'd make the best of what is only a camping trip, Carnival had nothing to do with it, I prefer to poop in bags, only poor people out to make themselves rich sue, you can't sue because it's selfish and the price on my next cruise might go up.

Type 2- I wouldn't wish this trip on my worst enemy, maybe as has been reported on prior threads Carnival should have looked into the repeated engine issue.

Cool story bro. Would read again...NOT.

Carnival, Cunard, Princess, Holland America, Seabourn, P&O other smaller regional lines

More than 100 passenger cruise ships

Let the nervous nellies find something "safer" if they can.

I'm looking forward to one Cunard and two HAL bookings in the next 12 months

In reading one of the posts I read that this was a disaster. In my opinion This is a very unfortunate situation, but not a disaster. No one died and as far as we are being told they are enduring the same plight as many in the World deal with each day. Our son-in-law is a missionary to Thailand. He helps with an orphange that is based on top of a dump. While we would scoff at such a place they are so thankful to be rescued from a much worse situation. We have so much here--if you have change in your pocket and have had a meal in the last 24 hours you are more fortunate than most in this world. Even those living at the poverty level in the U.S. are among the top percent of the wealthiest in the world. Scary isn't it and we are worried about suing over a terrible inconvenience. Come on.

I will give you a scenario of why I may sue if I were onboard:

I went on a vacation with my wife and five year old son. It took me a while to convince them that it was a safe and fun vacation, but they are going, apprehensively. Everything is going great and then there is a fire. My son is absolutely panicked and inconsolable, crying screaming, shaking nervous. We finally realize everything is OK, we are not in immediate danger, and he pulls it together a bit, but seems very vacant and hard to talk to. Then the misery of the situation starts to set in by the second or third day. He isn't eating much, we all stink, he isn't sleeping well, etc.

We make it home and his grades start failing and he just seems different. A year later we talk about planning a next vacation, maybe take the cruise credit? He freaks out, crying and begging us not to go...He refuses to go anywhere to be honest.

Take him to a therapist and he is diagnosed with PTSD...Takes us years for him to get over his fear of travel, completely altering his and our life style.

Would you think about possibly exploring the fact that Carnival may have been negligent in their handling of the Triumph? I think I might...

Just don't see on what grounds they would be filling a lawsuit over. .

Negligence, sending 4000 people on a ship they know have been having mechanical problems and who knows what else prior to the fire.

Injuries dont have to be physical, people can and are sometimes mentally scarred for life when they are traumatized. I cant imagine what these people are going through right now. Especially the ones who already have medical and physical conditions and of course the young kids on boar.

Let the chips fall where they may ... I smell many succesful lawsuits.

I've followed this thread pretty well and there are 2 types of people...

Type 1- Everything in the world happens as an act of God, I'd make the best of what is only a camping trip, Carnival had nothing to do with it, I prefer to poop in bags, only poor people out to make themselves rich sue, you can't sue because it's selfish and the price on my next cruise might go up.

I think the Type 1's spend a little too much time watching and reading corporate media, so they actually believe we are a sue happy country and everyone (them included?) are out for a quick buck, everyone wins when they sue and poor old corporations don't have armies of attorneys watching their backs. :rolleyes:

Come on people, this is really getting out of hand! With all travel there is a certain amount of risk and cruise travel is no different. I could understand all this talk of suing if Carnival could have in some way forscene this fire and the subsequint ocean float...but they could not. (HOW CAN YOU KNOW THIS - YOU CAN'T ) I think Carnival has not only been fair but beyond fair to all the parties involved (BUT ARE YOU 100% SURE THAT THE OFFER IS 'BEYOND FAIR". WHY NOT GET AN EXPERT OPINION?). Yes, it is aweful, and the fact that people are not returning home until 4-5 days afteR they were scheduled to return is a huge pain in the a**...but to SUE THEM...COME ON!!

What Carnival thinks is fair and what is actually fair may not be the same. I'm just saying why not consult a lawyer and find out.

NO. neither would i sue if i spilled hot coffee on myself, nor would i sue that mcdonalds made me fat, nor would i sue that an emergency happened and no one was injured and the situation was handled well and i was treated with respect.

now... if the fire was proven to be started on purpose or by negligence of the crew, and i was injured or someone died...yes, i might consider that. but the problem with sueing is that most of the time, the person suing done really deserve the amount they get, its greed and ends up hurting the company, and sky rocketing costs for everyone else.

wheres the good in that???

I agree completly. Sometimes life hands us a lemon. MAN-UP!

No. Just like I wouldn't sue Toyota if I had a flat tire that left me stranded for a bit.

Even if Toyota knew the tires on their vehicles were defective and the tire blew causing an accident leaving you injured for life and a loved one dead? Or bringing it more closely to the current situation - the tire blows, Toyota suspected from reports and tests the tires might be defective and you are left stranded over night in a snow storm?

I agree completly. Sometimes life hands us a lemon. MAN-UP!

That one has been debunked so many times - even on this topic it has been explained. Next time you go to the hospital from spilling a cup of coffee, let us know the outcome.

I am sure that the sharks are getting ready for a feast. Me, I would not sue unless they didn't give me a ticket to go home and another cruise to make up for the one I would miss.

The people will miss our are the people who work for tips.

Even if Toyota knew the tires on their vehicles were defective and the tire blew causing an accident leaving you injured for life and a loved one dead? Or bringing it more closely to the current situation - the tire blows, Toyota suspected from reports and tests the tires might be defective and you are left stranded over night in a snow storm?

Nope it's not Toyota's fault, Toyota's loves me because this is my 4th Toyota. I'll just camp out in my car overnight, it will be fun. :rolleyes:

No, I would not sue Carnival. I might however sue some of the lawyers that will be lined up blocking all the exits from the terminal when they get back to Galveston. It' amazing what "gimme, gimme, gimme" nation we have become. Pretty sad.

Doug

As if the corporate big wigs have not been holed up with their attorneys and their attorneys attorney's since the fire trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to get out of this particular mess. So, I as a passenger should not have the same benefit?

This is from a new article about whats going on on the ship....

"There's water and feces all over the floor," Nutt relayed. "It's not the best conditions. You would think Carnival would have something in place to get these people off the ship."

Passengers also are getting sick and throwing up, he said, adding that his wife told him: "The whole boat stinks extremely bad."

These people deserve more than just getting their sail and sign card comped.

PG

To early to determine whether there is a basis for a lawsuit.

The fire may have nothing to do with the propulsion problems.

If the fire is a result of a propulsion problem that Carnival new about, then there are grounds for a lawsuit.a

If it is discovered that Carnival knowingly sailed a ship that had issues that could lead to a fire, then bet your bottom dollar that they will, and rightfully should be held accountable.

To early to rule out lawsuits and to early to start the lawsuit train rolling.

I think the driving factor for me would be whether prior issues with the propulsion system factored into the cause of the fire. If so, that would seem negligent to me and I would absolutely sue them if that was the case.

You, me and one other person on here, i think, out of over 200+ posts, have the only demonstrated ability to "think outside of the box" apparently.

The fact of the matter is that NO ONE can answer this question -- even for themselves, I believe, much as they'd like to stand high atop the soap box.

The "tunnel vision" going on in this thread to judge facts not even known, is silly.

I'm a Realist.

Archived