Would you sue if you were on Triumph?

paulgraff

Would you sue CCL if you were on the Triumph?

I would.

PG

No I would not but I would think twice of sailing on Carnival again.

And I have a feeling that unless you have unlimited resources their team of corporate lawyers would keep your lawsuit held up in court for years to come.

It's international maritime law, not the US judicial system. There is no jury in maritime law, just a judge. Unless the plaintiffs can prove gross negligence (not likely to be provable) the cruise line will prevail.

I firmly believe that Carnival needs to make everyone whole. That includes lost wages, pet sitting, child care, airport parking, even late fees because they couldn't deposit their paycheck and/or pay bills, anything and everything over and above what they would have spent should be reimbursed.

My concern is with people who might lose jobs because they aren't able to show up for work. Carnival needs to do something for them as well.

This is a case where a few dollars spent will return sevenfold in customer loyalty--both for those on the cruise and those who hear about how fair the business was and how much they actually cared.

A great case study is US Airways after the Miracle on the Hudson. US Airways bent over backwards to take care of those passengers. They went incredibly above and beyond to return passengers belongings, pay for therapy, you name it. They made immediate cash payments--not just a voucher for another flight. A diamond ring was returned personally by a senior level executive. They achieved incredible brand loyalty by the way they handed that disaster.

I just felt like this post needed repeating.

Very well said!

PTSD can be caused by any number of things, and yes, being in fear for your life during a fire on a cruise ship followed by five days living in deplorable conditions could certainly cause it.

Why dont we save the real PTSD claims for the ones with real PTSD like military who have watched their friends limbs be blown off and/or decapitated. To insinuate that these people stuck on a cruise ship for a couple days had the same stress level as some military vets is ludicrous.

Are you saying that these passengers aren't under incredible stress?

I don't know what jkind of stress they are under and you don't either. What I am saying is PTSD or PSTD as you called it canbe a crutch. Tell mne of a vet or a first responder to the horrible killings in Sandy Hook CT and I will jump on your bandwagon in a minute. This is a totally different thing.

No. I would not sue.

If you chose to that is your business. But, be prepared..... Carnival has an extraordinary legal team who does not give in if they feel they are not at fault. My husband used to work at Carnival Corp. in Miami.

If may end of costing you more than bargained for.

Why dont we save the real PTSD claims for the ones with real PTSD like military who have watched their friends limbs be blown off and/or decapitated. To insinuate that these people stuck on a cruise ship for a couple days had the same stress level as some military vets is ludicrous.

PTSD is a mental disorder and there is no threshold that a person has to cross to earn the "real" PTSD badge. If a medical doctor states that their patient has it they don't have to prove to anyone that their illness is real enough.

And this is coming from a military brat who's uncle came back with it from Vietnam.

At the risk of being attacked by everyone on here. I am going to say this. When I first heard about this, I thought no big deal, they have emergency power. But obviously, those emergency generators must power very little. And I can't imagine having to deal with overflowing sewage, very limited food and the possibility of spreading illness throughout the ship. Not to mention people who don't have extra medication or have medical problems that may be aggravated by this situation. I know Carnival is trying to do the best they can do. And we can all speculate on whether we would sue or not sue. But the fact of the matter is that we are not on that ship. And most of us are not lawyers. This thing is going to be analyzed from every angle when it is done. Maybe people have the basis to sue, maybe they don't. If it comes out that Carnival was negligent or didn't do everything they could have done in this situation, then they should be held liable. Once this ship gets back to port and more information is released about what truly happened and the people on the ship are able to describe their experiences, it may warrant more than a refund and a free cruise. Just saying...... By the way, I am NOT a Carnival hater and am booked on a cruise with them next week.

my thoughts exactly.

OMG....NO!!! I can't believe the way American's minds work sometimes. We would be in the group of people that might consider it an inconvenience but an adventure we wouldn't forget. Think of the stories to tell for a lifetime.

I couldn't agree more. Me and my wife were talking about that last night. What a great story to be able to tell

PTSD is a mental disorder and there is no threshold that a person has to cross to earn the "real" PTSD badge. If a medical doctor states that their patient has it they don't have to prove to anyone that their illness is real enough.

And this is coming from a military brat who's uncle came back with it from Vietnam.

Actually it is my understanding that there will be such a threshold in the new DSM that is coming out.

Actually it is my understanding that there will be such a threshold in the new DSM that is coming out.

The new thresholds are for baseline symptoms and NOT for who has "real" PTSD. You can get PTSD from military service, being raped, assaulted, involvement in natural disaster, etc. It's not limited war and to to say otherwise it foolish.

To insinuate that people can't get PSTD unless they see someone's leg blown off is ridiculous and proves you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Sue?:confused: If memory serves, didn't Carnival give all those sailing on Triumph prior notice of engine problems, they would be missing a port so the ship could be worked on in a different port? In addition to the given info, the customers were given the option of full refund if they chose to sail another date?

Or am I thinking of a different ship?

OK, so I'm not an advocate of suing, however don't people have a case based on the point made above? Carnival knew about engline problems and still let the ship sail, potentially (and subsequently) putting the health of their passengers at risk.

For the past several sailings, the ship was reported to have propulsion problems, could not reach top speed, and at least one poster mentioned a few weeks ago Carnival notified them in advance of one working main engine. The question would be, could Carnival make a case for not foreseeing this problem and fixing it before setting the ship back out to sail?

And BTW, i'm pretty sure you have grounds to sue an Airline if they notify passengers in advance of "engine problems" and say it will be fixed when they land at the next airport, but crashes along the way. That is, if one survives.

I don't know what jkind of stress they are under and you don't either. What I am saying is PTSD or PSTD as you called it canbe a crutch. Tell mne of a vet or a first responder to the horrible killings in Sandy Hook CT and I will jump on your bandwagon in a minute. This is a totally different thing.

Ugh. You just don't get it.

Different people handle stress differently. For some, this will be a very stressful situation that will very likely cause PSTD.

By the way, don't begin to tell me about first responders, my husband is one. The difference between him and a passenger stranded on a raw sewage filled cruise ship is that he (A) signed up for it and(B) he expects to see carnage, puke, and poop on a regular basis.

So I went camping in my RV and when I got to where I was camping, I realize my RV needed to be moved a few feet forward, so I went to start it but it wouldn't start. I called for a tow, but I couldn't get cell phone reception. I decided I had to go #2, so I went to use the restroom in the RV only to find out it wouldn't flush.

Now the million dollar question...Do I sue the RV company for faulty equipment, the cell phone company for bad reception(because it said on their coverage map this area was covered) or just chalk it up to bad luck and make the best of it?

Yup you guessed it, I just chalk it up to life happens and make the best of it and think about what a story I now have to tell. Why can't some people just realize life happens and not always have to place blame?

Finally, someone who "gets it."

Archived