Would you sue if you were on Triumph?

paulgraff

hey Paul.. I think you have the answer to both of your threads...

besides yourself, NO ONE here so far who has posted even believes it makes the slightest sense at all to sue.

and you havent provided any details to enlighten all of us on any possible motive to sue

for the record, add me to the 'not sue' group

I see you put 'a reason' you would sue.

you CANT sue (and win) for a lack of maintenance if nothing happened to you. You need to sue for 'something'. Injuries, lost cruise fees, lost wages, lost airfares, etc... you can, however not cruise on Carnival again if you think that they neglect their ships.

If I go to the cleaners and put in a shirt and because of their neglected equipment, they ruin my shirt... They compensate me the entire shirt price and for my next shirt free and gas it costs to get to the cleaners and back... I will not be able to sue them for anything since they made restitution. I can stop going there. thats about it

sounds like an ambulance-chasing personal injury lawyer looking to drum up business for passengers suffering from "emotional distress" and probably go as far as PTSD......sadly, many will win.

Let me see if I can be as farfetched.... I fell on some ice while wearing boots. I'm going to sue Mother Nature for the weather, of course. Then the manufacturer of my boots because they didn't come with a warning label to instruct me to use caution during inclement weather, because I am a moron and must have warning labels. Then I'm going to sue the person who built the steps on my house (wait, that would be my husband and he's broke like me) ok...so I'll sue the manufacturer of the wood used to make the steps (mother nature takes another hit) for not putting a warning label on the trees stating that wood may be slippery during inclement weather. In addition, I shall sue for lost wages, emotional distress for having to wear a very unfashionable knee brace, and there may be a chance I may reflect on the incident, I should add in PTSD. Then I'm going to sue a pizza restaurant because they don't deliver where I live...the bastards!

...sound 'bout right?

If a person could prove serious emotional damages that required ongoing therapy or if they could prove that they had a medical condition created or worsened by the situation, and if they can prove that CCL was actually negligent in the maintenance of their equipment, they might stand a chance of prevailing. That's a lot of "if's," and I'm not a Carnival cheerleader.

On the other hand, those on the Concordia deserve to own Costa--that was a disaster that was completely caused by the gross negligence of Costa's employee. It's pretty hard to prove gross negligence with an engine fire, it's a slam dunk with the Concordia.

It's pretty sad what the world is coming to....sue happy!!! Carnival is doing everything possible to make the cruisers comfortable. The compensation they have said they are giving to each cruiser is wonderful!! These things happen. It is a blessing nobody was injured or killled. We should be thankful for that!!!!

A lack of maintenance (the cruise before this missed ports due to engine problems, see previous posts on CC) and you are calling this an act of God???

I am done with this thread, this is whats wrong with society, people never never holding those in charge with any type of accountability. This is why our country is in such a mess.

Enjoy being a sheep.

PG

Wow! You are obviously in pain. I will pray for you.

Not only would I NOT sue. I'm actually a little jealous of those onboard. They got this cruise (that ends with a little discomfort) and then basically the money to go on 2 more cruises. Where do I sign up??

Note:** I say a "little discomfort" because from what I've heard they're getting food and beverages and having to sleep in open areas of the ship because of lack of air conditioning and that some of the toilets don't flush. To me those are minor problems in the grand scheme of things. If there is something more tragic going on then I would change my stance.

I am done with this thread, this is whats wrong with society, people never never holding those in charge with any type of accountability. This is why our country is in such a mess.

Let me guess. You, being from NO, still blame the government for hurricane Katrina too. Give me a break. This was a freak accident. Add me to the "would not sue because I'll EARN the money in my bank, not have it given to me" list.

I wouldn't sue. I'd take as many hi-res photos as I could and sell them to the wire service/stock agency/etc. as soon as I got back. That would make me enough to pay for a three week luxury cruise every year for the rest of my life.

Ding ding! We have a winner! :D

I wouldn't sue. I'd take as many hi-res photos as I could and sell them to the wire service/stock agency/etc. as soon as I got back. That would make me enough to pay for a three week luxury cruise every year for the rest of my life.

I don't think the wire services pay quite that much for photos;).

What I can't wait for when they return is to hear they all get back safe. I pray that anyone with medical problems took enough Medicine with them or medical supplies. I pray this doesn't happen to DH and I as we leave on Saturday, Or to anyone else. If everyone would shut it with the negativity and sue happy crap and pray that they all get through this That would be nice!

In all honesty I would sue likely as part of a class action lawsuit ( which I am sure will happen in this case). I'd likely consult legal counsel as well.

I don't believe this was just an accident based on all the reviews complaining about mechanical problems prior to this cruise. Class action law suits is one way to hold a cruise line accountable for its actions (and usually participants in class action suits make very little themselves). The point is not to make a big payday, the point is to make a corporation hurt enough it can then justify to shareholders the responsible changes it needs to make.

What I can't wait for when they return is to hear they all get back safe. I pray that anyone with medical problems took enough Medicine with them or medical supplies. I pray this doesn't happen to DH and I as we leave on Saturday, Or to anyone else. If everyone would shut it with the negativity and sue happy crap and pray that they all get through this That would be nice!

Amen!!!!!

First thing is that the people saying they wouldn't stand a chance at winning a suit are dead wrong. This being America you can have just as many "entitled" folks on the jury that are just dying to hand out a big companies money.

That being said we don't really know what is going on with the ship and what struggles people are having. I am not a sue happy person but let's just say they find out that Carnival did indeed know about an engine problem and did a mickey mouse fix that didn't work. Then say someone had to spend 3 days pooping in a ziplock? I don't know. I'm just saying that we don't know everything yet and it wouldn't surprise me that someone may sue.

As for lost wages I imagine that would make sense if they are late getting back. It doesn't matter they are getting a cruise credit since that is reimbursement for what the spent on the cruise. I don't know what a person is to do if they are losing hours at work.

A lack of maintenance (the cruise before this missed ports due to engine problems, see previous posts on CC) and you are calling this an act of God???

Enjoy being a sheep.

PG

The two problems were each different. It was not a repeat mechanical defect.

Accidents happen. Everyone is okay. So, no. If someone was hurt or died and someone was negligent than yes.

I work as an insurance claims adjuster and I see a lot of greedy people and also a lot of people with serious injury who truly deserve everything they can get. The former makes the process difficult on the latter.

It's pretty sad what the world is coming to....sue happy!!! Carnival is doing everything possible to make the cruisers comfortable. The compensation they have said they are giving to each cruiser is wonderful!! These things happen. It is a blessing nobody was injured or killled. We should be thankful for that!!!!

Nope. If they were doing "everything possible" they would have helicoptered every passenger and all non-essential crew off the ship and to the closest commercial airport and they'd all be either home or on their way by now.

On the bag thing, honestly I hadn't heard it before. I just saw some posts elsewhere that said they had no toilets for a time. It was just speculation. God I hope they didn't really need to do that.

So question: If the ship is not registered as American would the sue happy people need to sue in Panama or wherever? If that is the case it may put a dent in the sue craze.

This post makes me so sad. What a generation of "I am entitled people" we have become. Lately I find myself praying hard for our nation as it is straying away from it's very core. I work in the court system and can't believe the suits I see. I find myself becoming embarassed for those people just like I am embarassed for the OP.

Archived