Would you sue if you were on Triumph?

paulgraff

I'd like to think personally I wouldn't sue. The situation is surely miserable and not by any stretch what I consider a relaxing vacation no matter what cheerleaders want to insist. But after all, I'd like to think I can weather it just fine. I am young and healthy and will have plenty of future cruises; the compensation Carnival is offering sounds decent enough to me.

But that's not to say a vacation gone terribly wrong is a trivial matter for every family.

My extended family is in the middle of organizing a family cruise. It's a huge deal for us because two of my cousins have a medical condition called Duchenne muscular dystrophy. It's a serious progressive condition. My cousins are already in wheelchairs and it won't be long before they lose the use of their arms and they will eventually be ventilator-dependent and won't be able to cruise to anywhere. When I think about all that preparation, hard work and mental stress my aunt and uncle would have to go through just to get their kids to enjoy a vacation of a life time only to have it go terribly wrong, it just makes me very sad and angry. And that would no longer be a matter of mere money. And in their situation, a compensation in terms of "future cruise credit" is useless.

So I went camping in my RV and when I got to where I was camping, I realize my RV needed to be moved a few feet forward, so I went to start it but it wouldn't start. I called for a tow, but I couldn't get cell phone reception. I decided I had to go #2, so I went to use the restroom in the RV only to find out it wouldn't flush.

Now the million dollar question...Do I sue the RV company for faulty equipment, the cell phone company for bad reception(because it said on their coverage map this area was covered) or just chalk it up to bad luck and make the best of it?

Yup you guessed it, I just chalk it up to life happens and make the best of it and think about what a story I now have to tell. Why can't some people just realize life happens and not always have to place blame? Suing for money isn't going to make the situation better for them. It's called GREED!

What I can't wait for when they return is to hear they all get back safe. I pray that anyone with medical problems took enough Medicine with them or medical supplies. I pray this doesn't happen to DH and I as we leave on Saturday, Or to anyone else.

I never did this before but next time I will make sure we have plenty of extra medicine! Thanks for the idea.

Maggie

True, Carnival is doing everything they can. But, I think it is pretty funny that they are offering people a free cruise on Carnival after what they just went through. I am not sure I would want to go on another cruise after this insanity.

Carnival is simply doing what they do best; making money and then damage control when things go sour.

so sue me :)

And if you think people have no ground or reason to sue you have no clue.

PG

Since you are primarily a Royal Caribbean poster and have only posted here about issues with the Triumph, I can only surmise that you are intent on stirring up negative feelings toward Carnival. Everyone recognizes that this is a disaster, but Carnival is well compensating the passengers. I hope they do the same for the crew and that they do not release the Triumph again until she is fully repaired and cleaned.

Ugh. You just don't get it.

Different people handle stress differently. For some, this will be a very stressful situation that will very likely cause PSTD.

By the way, don't begin to tell me about first responders, my husband is one. The difference between him and a passenger stranded on a raw sewage filled cruise ship is that he (A) signed up for it and(B) he expects to see carnage, puke, and poop on a regular basis.

Hop down off the soapbox, my son is one also. Me thinks you don't get it. It does not make a difference as to whether someone "signs up for it" what ever that means it is what it is. My point is, carnage, death dismemberment is a whole differnet thing than seeing poop and being stranded on a ship. Granted it is not what the cruisers "signed" up for but not the same.

I just saw a guy in Wal Mart bent over with his crack hanging out. Since everyone handles stress differently, I now have PTSD. I am going to now sue Wal Mart since there are no signs posted saying you cannot bend over and show your crack. Wal Mart didnt do enough to prevent this stressful situation from happening.

I just saw a guy in Wal Mart bent over with his crack hanging out. Since everyone handles stress differently, I now have PTSD. I am going to now sue Wal Mart since there are no signs posted saying you cannot bend over and show your crack. Wal Mart didnt do enough to prevent this stressful situation from happening.

Was that a wise crack?:cool:

I am wondering what you would feel is fair? Should Carnival give them a land based vacation instead of a cruise? Oh no then a hurricane woiuld probably cause an evacuation and Carnival would get blamed for that. Things happen. I am just thankful no one was hurt. They are just giving them the product they have to offer.

I can think of apartment fires where people died, others had no insurance and got nothing from their landlord. I think Carnival is doing what they think is right as well as yes some sort of damage control. What business wouldn't. In my business accidents can be paralyzing so we have insurance, but do not think that if an accident happpens that it was everything going sour just an unfortunate set of circumstances.

Carnival is simply doing what they do best; making money and then damage control when things go sour.

Hop down off the soapbox, my son is one also. Me thinks you don't get it. It does not make a difference as to whether someone "signs up for it" what ever that means it is what it is. My point is, carnage, death dismemberment is a whole differnet thing than seeing poop and being stranded on a ship. Granted it is not what the cruisers "signed" up for but not the same.

The causes of the PTSD might not be the same, but if a doctor gives a PTSD diagnosis then that's the end of the story.

I'm sorry but this is really starting to make me angry. There is no such thing is a "real" or "fake" PTSD. Just because your cause, your son's cause, my uncles cause or the kid's down the street's cause is different, doesn't make any of their flash backs, the distancing or any other symptoms they are dealing with any less real.

How about you leave the diagnosing to people who actually know what they are talking about and stop arm chair quarterbacking someone else mental well being.

Archived