Would you sue if you were on Triumph?

paulgraff

A lack of maintenance (the cruise before this missed ports due to engine problems, see previous posts on CC) and you are calling this an act of God???

I am done with this thread, this is whats wrong with society, people never never holding those in charge with any type of accountability. This is why our country is in such a mess.

Enjoy being a sheep.

PG

Actually what is wrong with our society are people with the mindset to sue at the drop of a hat. Suing does not always equate to accountability. And I do believe you were the one who started this ridiculous thread.

Not a hundred percent certain but you may be thinking of the Splendor.

Yes, that's probably right. Just recall reading someones concerns a few weeks ago... they were heading to Mexico on a Carnival cruise and were forewarned... just couldn't remember which ship.

Just have to see it in the best light :) Guess thats the pessimist in me ;)

Actually, that would be the optimist in you - not pessimist.

I too will still sail and looking forward to our trip in October on the Conquest. Things happen. This could have been any ship with any line. Just like if there was a problem with one Toyota Camry. I would still drive my Camry. Planes are all the time having engine problems. If a plane had an engine fire, would you no longer fly that airline? Why? The airline did not build the plane. Which means, it could happen to any plane any time. Of course, with the ship I might be uncomfortable and a bit hungry and ready to get off the ship, but at least I won't be falling out of the sky! :D

I'm in the same boat (pun intended). Several people I know are like, "Why would you ever cruise with Carnival again???". Ridiculous. I tell them that there's a bigger chance of getting in a car accident yet they still get in their car and drive every day!

My mother-in-law begged us not to go to an NFL game we had tickets for just 10 days after 9/11 because large venues filled with thousands of people were terrorist targets. I told her that if we hid in our houses because of every threat we wouldn't be living life.

The passengers on the Triumph may be experiencing less than ideal conditions, but they'll have a story to tell.

Actually, that would be the optimist in you - not pessimist.

I too will still sail and looking forward to our trip in October on the Conquest. Things happen. This could have been any ship with any line. Just like if there was a problem with one Toyota Camry. I would still drive my Camry. Planes are all the time having engine problems. If a plane had an engine fire, would you no longer fly that airline? Why? The airline did not build the plane. Which means, it could happen to any plane any time. Of course, with the ship I might be uncomfortable and a bit hungry and ready to get off the ship, but at least I won't be falling out of the sky! :D

LOL I ment to say Optimist ;) I was thinkin about all these pessimistic people going on and on today!! lol. Thanks for the correction!! haha:p

Actually it is my understanding that there will be such a threshold in the new DSM that is coming out.

For those who even know what the DSM are, changes from DSM-IV to DSM 5 are rumored to be:

Based on the proposed DSM-5 criteria, the prevalence of PTSD will be similar to what it is currently in DSM-IV.

Symptoms are mostly the same. The 3 clusters of DSM-IV symptoms will be divided into 4 clusters in DSM-5: intrusion symptoms, avoidance symptoms, arousal/reactivity symptoms and negative mood and cognitions. It is proposed that a few symptoms will be added and some revised.

Criterion A2 (requiring fear, helplessness or horror happen right after the trauma) will be removed.

The diagnosis is proposed to move from the class of anxiety disorders into a new class of "trauma and stressor-related disorders."

PTSD assessment measures, such as the CAPS and the PCL, are being revised by the National Center for PTSD to be made available upon the release of DSM-5.

Everyone's reality is different. An incident that would be merely unpleasant for one person may cause a lot of trauma for another.

To the OP, most people will not sue and will accept what Carnival offers. Some people will spend a lot of time trying to get everything they can; that's how our legal system works, like it or not.

I think we've sailed our last Carnival cruise. Too many other lines and options out there to try, rather than sticking with a line with such a history of problems. But actually after all the cutbacks and our last rather disappointing CCL cruise, we'd pretty much already decided that we were through with Carnival. This incident just reinforces our decision. Good luck to all of you who will continue to sail CCL. Hope you all have wonderful and uneventful cruises.

I will still sail Carnival regardless of this incident. I know they have had others in the past with similar issues. But it will not turn me off to Carnival.

Same here. It makes no sense to be scared off and not do things I enjoy. It is more likely for something to happen on the road than it is on a ship, and I drive somewhere everyday.

Here's the flaw in the logic. Hurricane are a true act of god. Sending a ship full of people KNOWING there are problems with it is NOT.

Sometimes it's okay to put your pom-poms down and stop cheering that Carnival can do no wrong and say maybe, just maybe they had a HUGE part to play in that there are thousands of people without power being pulled to the nearest port.

I can't understand this OPs (3 different sites now) obsession with suing. It was an accident and they are doing everything they can to may things right. Read my posting under the thread Help - Fire Cancelled My Cruise - How do I get reimbursed. Carnival treat us very well and fairly. I would however stay away from the Triumph

I believe that this question should be asked to those passengers on that specific cruise, not to a "general" audience that are not participants on this "disaster", and yes, I believe that this is a disaster.

Only those experiencing these conditions know and feel what is like to be part of it. They are the only ones suffering through this, not the people commenting here whether to sue or not.

You book a vacation cruise and pay them in good faith to enjoy a nice vacation. You expect that the ships are well taken care off and that proper maintenance has been performed by the company. We really don't know if this was the case here. However, we all know that this is not the first time this had happened to a Carnival ship in the past few years.

Due to their past similar failures, measures should be on board to provide emergency power when the main engines fails. To those not aware, the diesel engines on these newer ships are there simply to generate electricity. The electric engines in turn power basically everything on the ship, from turbines/props, to A/C, just about everything. Everything on these ships depend on one common denominator, the huge diesel engines. If these fail, everything else will fail to work, eventually. You can only rely of battery back-up power for so long Simple as that.

So, will they sue? I bet Carnival doesn't want to ask this question to those passengers anytime in the near future...

(Someone here interested in a new business venture? Build a huge electric generator on a big barge and get on an annual contract with Carnival. That way when this happens again, just tie the barge to the ship and plug them together. Simple, but it could work).

Even then you would still need to show that you were harmed in some way which would be difficult to show with CCL reimbursing everything and with no physical injury.

If... a big IF... you could show negligence in regard to mechanical maintenance... e.g. that CCL knew, or reasonably should have known a breakdown was imminent and chose to disregard usual maintenance... then the ball game changes and emotional distress is on the table. Again, a big IF.

But that's going to be a tough thing to prove. Triumph's prior mechanical problems provide a starting point but unless the maritime investigation uncovers something I don't expect many lawyers to take the case. I don't think anyone was succsessful in suing over the Splendor incident.

a passenger stranded on a raw sewage filled cruise ship

Did I miss a news story or something? Where have you read where it says that the ship is "filled with raw sewage"? All I've read is that some toilets are working, people are peeing in the shower (which has a drain last time I checked), and some are pooping in bags. Nowhere does it say that the ship is "filled with raw sewage". Drama queen much?

Did I miss a news story or something? Where have you read where it says that the ship is "filled with raw sewage"? All I've read is that some toilets are working, people are peeing in the shower (which has a drain last time I checked), and some are pooping in bags. Nowhere does it say that the ship is "filled with raw sewage". Drama queen much?

actually thats exactly what is being reported:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/12/travel/cruise-ship-fire/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

WOW! that is stupid!! Carnival is doing everything they can to fix the ship.......

EVERYTHING - really. How do you know this?

You can't. And I can't say that they are Not doing everything. We can't know. We are not there.

And for suing, why in the world would you accept the first offer made by Carnival? Why not consult a legal expert to find out if the offer is fair and generous given the actual facts.

Gieco, advertises that a 15 phone call minutes can save you 15% or more on your car insurance. Hmmm, food for thought.

Archived