Would you sue if you were on Triumph?

paulgraff

"To sue or not to sue, that is the question!" I guess Shakespeare must have been a cruiser also. I have counted the replies and the results are, "No" - 11,732, "Yes" - 3 and "I'm not sure" - 7. Based on this scientific poll, the 'NEA's" have it.

I have notified Carnival of the results and I could hear a sigh of relief so cruising will continue. Now on to bigger and more pressing issues like serving of the flat iron steak. "Yes" or "No"?

Really? Again with pooping in a bag? How many times a day do you people go? Gross, yes, inconvenient, yes, but it's not like you are sitting around all day with a poop bag tied to your butt!

I don't think people realize the purpose of the poop bags. Sounds gross, yes, but the bag keeps the odor and the fecal material contained and disposable. There are biohazrd containers for them to be placed in and when a facility gets these boxes, they are incinerated in a special way, not just put in a dump pile. Nursing homes and hospitals do this all the time with any organic matter. Be thankful for use of poop bags.

No I would not sue!! First report tug boat there by Wends. noon Monday night tug boat arrives, I even bet they may make it to Al before Thursday.And as I can see so far the Captain or Crew hasn't jumped ship. AS for conditions on the ship "we don't know for sure" since we are not there. Things like this happen! Airports shut down,interstaes close- things happen. That is what is wrong people are sue happy!! What amazes me is 900 passengers without a Passport!!

forget suing them or good luck suing them they already hired lawyers well in advance of any fiasco's to handle this, they are the big boys and you are the little guy this is a fact, they have learned to skirt laws by registering in other countries. Did you notice the flags they fly? there is a reason for that, one of them is keeping you from getting justice.

What I want to know is why cant they send another ship and transfer the passengers? Is that an unreasonable idea? I heard this morning other Carnival ships were throwing scraps of food to the Trimph trying to keep the folks alive till they port.

I guess that would be too expensive and cut too deeply to their bottom line.

I had my diaster and learned back in 08 but I must say it paled in comparison to this event. Again just like what happened to me, its not the initial accident/fire that is the problem its how they handle things afterwards.

Good luck to all those poor folks I do hope they make it back safely.

Charlee

First thing is that the people saying they wouldn't stand a chance at winning a suit are dead wrong. This being America you can have just as many "entitled" folks on the jury that are just dying to hand out a big companies money.

That being said we don't really know what is going on with the ship and what struggles people are having. I am not a sue happy person but let's just say they find out that Carnival did indeed know about an engine problem and did a mickey mouse fix that didn't work. Then say someone had to spend 3 days pooping in a ziplock? I don't know. I'm just saying that we don't know everything yet and it wouldn't surprise me that someone may sue.

As for lost wages I imagine that would make sense if they are late getting back. It doesn't matter they are getting a cruise credit since that is reimbursement for what the spent on the cruise. I don't know what a person is to do if they are losing hours at work.

It's international maritime law, not the US judicial system. There is no jury in maritime law, just a judge. Unless the plaintiffs can prove gross negligence (not likely to be provable) the cruise line will prevail.

I firmly believe that Carnival needs to make everyone whole. That includes lost wages, pet sitting, child care, airport parking, even late fees because they couldn't deposit their paycheck and/or pay bills, anything and everything over and above what they would have spent should be reimbursed.

My concern is with people who might lose jobs because they aren't able to show up for work. Carnival needs to do something for them as well.

This is a case where a few dollars spent will return sevenfold in customer loyalty--both for those on the cruise and those who hear about how fair the business was and how much they actually cared.

A great case study is US Airways after the Miracle on the Hudson. US Airways bent over backwards to take care of those passengers. They went incredibly above and beyond to return passengers belongings, pay for therapy, you name it. They made immediate cash payments--not just a voucher for another flight. A diamond ring was returned personally by a senior level executive. They achieved incredible brand loyalty by the way they handed that disaster.

The two problems were each different. It was not a repeat mechanical defect.

Playing devils advocate, although they are separate systems, they are not unrelated. One of the questions I have was "Would a full and comprehensive repair of the propulsion system (ie complete overhaul rather than repeated Band-Aids) discovered--and prevented--whatever caused the fire?" This is a question that needs to be answered, and the answer will have tremendous bearing on the ability to sue.

Not only would I NOT sue. I'm actually a little jealous of those onboard. They got this cruise (that ends with a little discomfort) and then basically the money to go on 2 more cruises. Where do I sign up??

Note:** I say a "little discomfort" because from what I've heard they're getting food and beverages and having to sleep in open areas of the ship because of lack of air conditioning and that some of the toilets don't flush. To me those are minor problems in the grand scheme of things. If there is something more tragic going on then I would change my stance.

Raw sewage in many public areas as well as cabin walls and floors and the resulting risk of serious disease isn't a deterrent? :eek:

I don't think the wire services pay quite that much for photos;).

Yes they do--I've sold photos to the various media outlets for years and have made a tidy nest egg by doing so. It depends on the photo, the quality, the exclusivity, etc. Yes, people will have photos they took with their iPhone, but those aren't the same as a photos taken with a pro level DSLR by someone who knows what the media is looking for and has the contacts to sell to.

I have been in contact with a passenger on board. She said spirits are high, they are making the best of it, and it's not as bad as the news is probably making it. I think it is unfortunate that anyone would even consider consider a lawsuit regarding this matter. Carnival is doing more than enough to make it right.

I would not sue either. It was just a bad accident and no one can control, that at all. If you house floods or the power goes off, and you are in the dark for hours and can't cook. Who do you sue?

That depends on the cause of the flood. If it's weather related, I guess sue the Pope or something. If it's caused by negligence of a construction crew who breaks a water main or something along those lines, you've got a good cause of action and will prevail against them.

It's international maritime law, not the US judicial system. There is no jury in maritime law, just a judge. Unless the plaintiffs can prove gross negligence (not likely to be provable) the cruise line will prevail.

I firmly believe that Carnival needs to make everyone whole. That includes lost wages, pet sitting, child care, airport parking, even late fees because they couldn't deposit their paycheck and/or pay bills, anything and everything over and above what they would have spent should be reimbursed.

My concern is with people who might lose jobs because they aren't able to show up for work. Carnival needs to do something for them as well.

This is a case where a few dollars spent will return sevenfold in customer loyalty--both for those on the cruise and those who hear about how fair the business was and how much they actually cared.

A great case study is US Airways after the Miracle on the Hudson. US Airways bent over backwards to take care of those passengers. They went incredibly above and beyond to return passengers belongings, pay for therapy, you name it. They made immediate cash payments--not just a voucher for another flight. A diamond ring was returned personally by a senior level executive. They achieved incredible brand loyalty by the way they handed that disaster.

With the news coverage this is getting, anyone who losses their job over it should sue their employeer. As this is most assurly an unuassly sitution beyond their control.

Raw sewage in many public areas as well as cabin walls and floors and the resulting risk of serious disease isn't a deterrent? :eek:

It's gross for sure and is probably unpleasant and uncomfortable. but it's not like the entire ship is a river of feces and urine. There are places to go to avoid it. The passengers are not sleeping in it and using piles as pillows I assure you.

forget suing them or good luck suing them they already hired lawyers well in advance of any fiasco's to handle this, they are the big boys and you are the little guy this is a fact, they have learned to skirt laws by registering in other countries. Did you notice the flags they fly? there is a reason for that, one of them is keeping you from getting justice.

Actually that's a minor benefit for them. The main reason is for tax purposes and so they don't have to obey US labor laws.

What I want to know is why cant they send another ship and transfer the passengers? Is that an unreasonable idea? I heard this morning other Carnival ships were throwing scraps of food to the Trimph trying to keep the folks alive till they port.

It would be incredibly dangerous, and then where are you going to put all those people--the other ships aren't empty.

I think it's up to each person on board to decide for themselves.

I posted this in another board, I suffer from migraines that are caused by heat and sunlight which with medication and AC make cruising possible. But having no AC since Sunday would have meant I would most likely have had 3 solid days of migraines. That is suffering. Not all injuries are external.

Finding out afterwards that there had been problems regarding engines in the days, weeks and months leading to this signals a lack of concern for the ships and passengers.

I'd like to also point out that there is this idea that every single person who sues a company is only doing it for the money. Sometimes the only way to get a big company to wake up and realize that customers aren't walking number signs that they can risk injuries too IS to sue.

Yes they do--I've sold photos to the various media outlets for years and have made a tidy nest egg by doing so. It depends on the photo, the quality, the exclusivity, etc. Yes, people will have photos they took with their iPhone, but those aren't the same as a photos taken with a pro level DSLR by someone who knows what the media is looking for and has the contacts to sell to.

Guess I'm in the wrong business, then;).

Care to tell us WHY you would sue them?

In answer to your question, NO I would not. I wouldn't even THINK about doing that. And if you weren't physically hurt by what happened on the Triumph then I can't even fathom WHY you would want to sue them. Accidents happen, that's why they're called accidents. The fire was put out quickly, no one was hurt, they're giving the passengers food and water, gave them full refunds, etc. etc. What more are they supposed to do?

Kind of reminds me about the woman who sued McDonald's because she spilled hot coffee in her lap. Good grief. :rolleyes:

When you get a chance, I'd like you to look up the McDonald's coffee case you mentioned. Alot of my students have the same idea about frivilous lawsuits and mention this one. Most change their minds once they see the real situation. I would link here but we aren't supposed to do so. ;) My point being, something may look frivilous until you delve into the facts. With that being said, Carnival seems to be doing all it can to make people as comfortable as possible and reimbursing them double. Cheers ;)

With the news coverage this is getting, anyone who losses their job over it should sue their employeer. As this is most assurly an unuassly sitution beyond their control.

You can't sue your employer for firing you if they are within the law. I hate to break it to you, but unless you are covered under a CBA or work in one of the handful of states with good employee protection laws, your employer can terminate you for any non-protected class reason at any time without notice or warning.

It's gross for sure and is probably unpleasant and uncomfortable. but it's not like the entire ship is a river of feces and urine. There are places to go to avoid it. The passengers are not sleeping in it and using piles as pillows I assure you.

You don't need to touch it for it to be hazardous. Bacteria from feces is airborne.

Playing devils advocate, although they are separate systems, they are not unrelated. One of the questions I have was "Would a full and comprehensive repair of the propulsion system (ie complete overhaul rather than repeated Band-Aids) discovered--and prevented--whatever caused the fire?" This is a question that needs to be answered, and the answer will have tremendous bearing on the ability to sue.

The burning question I had put into words...not that I believe in suing very often...but the burning question for the safety of the system into which so many people are entrusting their lives.

Archived