Would you sue if you were on Triumph?

paulgraff

If Carnival covered all reasonable, provable expenses, I think it would be a PR coup for them.

My thoughts:

All (reasonable) expenses incurred including parking, pet care, child care, air fare, baggage fees, mileage, car rental, hotel, late payment fees for not being able to pay bills that were due this week, etc. I don't think the cruise line is under obligation to reimburse people for the pre-cruise new clothes or camera they bought as an example of an unreasonable expense.

Wages starting the day of the fire, but not up to that point.

Any medical expenses incurred as a result of the situation, including mental health counseling and medication related to the fire and conditions on board.

Cell phone costs from the Cellular at Sea service.

Full refund of the cruise fare, port charges, taxes, and travel insurance.

A clothing allowance so that passengers can purchase clean clothing to travel home in. $50 per person would be adequate to purchase underwear, socks, a top and a bottom. If they don't use it within 24 hours of getting off the ship, they don't get it.

A cash payment for each day they were delayed getting home--I'd say something around $200 per day would be reasonable. This is per passenger, not cabin.

The greater of a 50% discount or the cost of the current cruise applied towards a future cruise.

I think that would be a very fair package to offer each affected passenger. It would not place a heavy financial burden on Carnival and would be a significant offer of goodwill to the passengers which would put them in a much better light than the public is perceiving them in at this point in time.

If they do choose to cruise with CCL again, I'd strongly suggest that CCL give them an upgrade and leave a bottle of wine, chocolate strawberries, and a heartfelt thank you note in their cabin.

Lol. You forgot the kitchen sink.

PaulGraff,

Would I sue? No. Hell no. I would not even consider it as being a viable option; No harm, no foul. It can be debated and I'm sure will be debated as to whether intentional harm can result due to negligence or poor maintenance, but the definition of harm is too broad in the minds of those who feel they have a right to file a lawsuit every time something untoward occurs near them.

While on board I'd kick back and enjoy the extra days at sea. Once I was home and back to work I'd spend my idle time researching my next cruise.

People who sue over trivial inconveniences should not be allowed to mingle with us mere humans.

I must confess that I'm disappointed to not actually be onboard Triumph for this adventure.

I have no doubt that opinions have been and will be expressed that are very contrary to mine, but my opinion stands. I do not condemn those who disagree with me; that is their right.

Careful Paul, the natives are pretty restless in this thread. I was accused of eating (not sniffing tho....) glue this morning;)

Lol. You forgot the kitchen sink.

Do you think the insurance company would reimburse these voluntary payments? I don't. makes a terrible precedent for future problems. In the end we all would pay for this in higher fares and higher insurance costs. while reasonable people can disagree on what reasonable compensation would be, the reason that the limits have been upheld is that its a shifting of risk. As I have said US law already prohibits such a disclaimer when someone is physically injured and the cruise line and its insurance carrier includes in the fare the risk that is assumed.

Do you think the insurance company would reimburse these voluntary payments? I don't. makes a terrible precedent for future problems. In the end we all would pay for this in higher fares and higher insurance costs. while reasonable people can disagree on what reasonable compensation would be, the reason that the limits have been upheld is that its a shifting of risk. As I have said US law already prohibits such a disclaimer when someone is physically injured and the cruise line and its insurance carrier includes in the fare the risk that is assumed.

Why should this all fall on the insurance companies shoulders? Not that it matters, because if CCL keeps dropping on the NYSE they won't have cash to pay anything out before too long.

Why should this all fall on the insurance companies shoulders?

Who else would it fall on? ultimately it falls on their customers, I suppose!

Not that it matters, because if CCL keeps dropping on the NYSE they won't have cash to pay anything out before too long.

I'm hoping for sub-$20. When it collapsed in late 2008 I was greedy and held out for $10, and should have bought at ~$15. I've been kicking myself ever since!

Careful Paul, the natives are pretty restless in this thread. I was accused of eating (not sniffing tho....) glue this morning;)

Jim,

:D You'll be OK; digestive enzymes will break down glue just fine. Isn't it amusing when someone's desire to insult overwhelms their ability to think?

At the risk of getting flammed for adding a little levity.

Should the people not get credit for an 8 day cruise since the total length of the cruise will be 8 days?

It's a terrible accident, but the important thing is that no one was hurt.

On our 7 day 11/2011 cruise on the Pride, bad weather delayed our arrival by a day and we were credited with a 8 day cruise

I can't speak for the triumph passengers but what you can't believe is probably true. I was on the splendor for its engine room fire... The toilets were out of order for only a day and there was definitely nasty seepage coming out into the hallways from under the walls of some cabins. That was only one day, I don't even want to know what it looks like for them. Plus the public restroom were indeed overflowing nastiness I only made that mistake once. At least the triumph people were provided bags to go in... We weren't. The people whose cabins were in the aft never got working toilets.

You don't think people ate onion sandwiches? I bet thy did. Here's the thing, the staff made trays of sandwiches and put them out... For the line that took an hour plus to get to the front. Other people just picked everything out of other sandwiches and put it on theirs to make it bigger. I had lettuce and tomato sandwich one night because everything else had been taken out before me. Not a big deal, but just saying that an onion sandwich is feasible. People were taking more than they needed and didn't hesitate to touch all the other food to pick out what they wanted.

And I can attest to the tons of people sleeping on deck and in the dining room or the big comfy chairs in the public areas. If you don't think this is possible... It is.. The interior cabins are brutal without air conditioning regardless of being on a lower deck or not. It was the weirdest thing walking down the hallway with everyone's door propped open.

Even after all that I would have never considered suing. They took care of us the best they could. And the staff worked soo hard even knowing all their prepaid tips were being refunded to the passengers.

I did however take the free cruise but it was more than a year before I had enough time off to take a real vacation again. That being said I do not agree with the haters saying they would do it because its better than being at work. Hell no, easy for you to say sitting at your computer. I would take a trouble free vacation over having to worry about food and a working toilet any day...

I wish all the triumph passengers safe return, a hot meal and a hot shower!!!

:)

Best post on here! Thank you! I too want to wish all triumph passengers a safe return.

Vicki

No I don't think the insurance company would reimburse the voluntary payments and I don't think Carnival should have to either. Just my opinion.

Paul, I assume you are an "ambulance chasing lawyer"? No I would not sue but I think this is one of the many things wrong with our society today. People are too ready to sue. If I was a judge I would throw so many stupid lawsuits out of court. Like for example the lady who dropped hot McDonalds coffee in her lap. She wouldn't have gotten a penny. Ridiculous!

Yes I would

Carnival is at fault. They let the ship sale on a known Mechanical issue. Emotional distress, unsafe conditions, lost wages would be a few reasons I would sue.

I was on the fascination in 2011 when the propeller system failed and we were stuck at Nassau for three days and tugged back to FL. never been on Carnival since and refuse to again. This is an ongoing issue apparently.

Poor people.

Oh and I got a whopping $25 per stateroom for our trouble. The smell of sewage is the most horrendous thing in world. Carnival sucks and the people who side with this company are fools.

Paul, I assume you are an "ambulance chasing lawyer"? No I would not sue but I think this is one of the many things wrong with our society today. People are too ready to sue. If I was a judge I would throw so many stupid lawsuits out of court. Like for example the lady who dropped hot McDonalds coffee in her lap. She wouldn't have gotten a penny. Ridiculous!

Why don't you actually learn something about that case before posting again.

They are now giving passengers $500.00 cash in addition to the other compensation. Take the money and run. It will prob be just as much as you would get after wasting all your time suing and after the lawyer gets their cut. They are going above and beyond in my book.

I agree 100 %!!!

Duck,

The McDonalds settlement. The jury awarded $200,000 in compensatory damages to Mrs. Liebeck, which was reduced to $160,000 because the jury felt that only 80% of the fault lay with McDonald’s, and 20% with her. They also awarded $2.7 million in punitive damages, essentially as punishment of McDonald’s for its callous treatment of Mrs. Liebeck, and its years of ignoring hundreds of similar injuries. This amount was held to be reasonable given that it represented only two days’ worth of McDonalds’ revenue from coffee sales alone. The trial judge reduced the punitive damages, however, to $480,000. After further negotiation, Mrs. Liebeck ultimately received $640,000.

Duck,

The McDonalds settlement. The jury awarded $200,000 in compensatory damages to Mrs. Liebeck, which was reduced to $160,000 because the jury felt that only 80% of the fault lay with McDonald’s, and 20% with her. They also awarded $2.7 million in punitive damages, essentially as punishment of McDonald’s for its callous treatment of Mrs. Liebeck, and its years of ignoring hundreds of similar injuries. This amount was held to be reasonable given that it represented only two days’ worth of McDonalds’ revenue from coffee sales alone. The trial judge reduced the punitive damages, however, to $480,000. After further negotiation, Mrs. Liebeck ultimately received $640,000.

Had McDonald's simply paid her medical bills which was all she had asked to begin with, they would have only paid around $10,000. Everyone misses that part.

Just heard on Dallas news Carnival will have a medical team in Mobile when folks get off the ship, give every passenger $500, they have booked some 1,500 or 1,600 hotel rooms. And this is in addition to 25% off their next cruise and a full refund on this one. Thus far, I have not heard anything that would make me sue.

Just heard on Dallas news Carnival will have a medical team in Mobile when folks get off the ship, give every passenger $500, they have booked some 1,500 or 1,600 hotel rooms. And this is in addition to 25% off their next cruise and a full refund on this one. Thus far, I have not heard anything that would make me sue.

They are actually getting the value of the cruise they paid for this one as credit for a future cruise in addition to the full refund of the current one plus all the other stuff. The 25% off the next one applies to other people's Triumph cruises that were cancelled - 12 in all as of right now.

My opinion still stands. Nothing to sue over. Take what they are offering and put this nightmare behind. Would be nice if they allowed them to give the FCC to a friend or family member if they don't want to cruise again, but that's totally at the discretion of Carnival, I imagine.

Tough call...If I were on that ship going through what they are going through, I would probably have the thought crossing my mind. However, having heard everything Carnival is doing to compensate everyone, and letting the reality that "**** happens!" sink in, I'd take the money, book another cruise, and get on with enjoying life.

Archived