DSLR camera-safe to carry in Barcelona?

Colorado Kat

Going to be 3 days in Barcelone pre-cruise. I hear so much about theft there. Will it be safe for me to carry around my Nikon DSLR? I'm very careful with it, and would not set it down, but would wear it around my neck.

I would really like to have my good quality camera for photos. Thanks!

I was in Barcelona for 5 days and almost always carried my DSLR - I never felt "skeevy" about it and never had any incidents where I felt it was in danger. Cameras are really hard to pickpocket, particularly larger ones like DSLRs, and pickpocketing is the crime of choice in Barcelona (so the statistics say). I carried mine in a sling camera bag (worn across body like a messenger bag), which I find more comfortable than wearing it around my neck.

We spent four days in Barcelona pre-cruise last summer and I carried by DLSR with me. I did buy a pac-safe bag, which I wore cross body (with my hand over the latch) when the camera wasn't around my neck. I had it out on the Ramblas and other crowded places, like La Sagrada. I was more worried about my wallet (also Pac-Safe) than my camera.

However, as a precaution I change memory cards daily so if my camera is gone all my pictures aren't gone with it.

However, as a precaution I change memory cards daily so if my camera is gone all my pictures aren't gone with it.

I do that frequently - more for concerns about damage than theft. I have about 8 different SD cards - each has more than enough room for all my photos, but I feel better switching them around.

Going to be 3 days in Barcelone pre-cruise. I hear so much about theft there. Will it be safe for me to carry around my Nikon DSLR? I'm very careful with it, and would not set it down, but would wear it around my neck.

I would really like to have my good quality camera for photos. Thanks!

So glad you posted this question- as I was wondering the same thing. I've never been to Europe before, but due to warnings I've read about I'm taking every precaution. I've invested in a pacsafe camera strap & a pacsafe bag which has a section for a DSLR camera. Pacsafe bags are by no means fashionable- but for me safety & peace of mind trumps fashion!

Now that I think about it, Callopecruiser is right. It's mostly pickpocket stuff I hear about. A stealthy crime. Want to be gone before you realise you were stolen from.

Thanks....that makes me feel better.

Now to decide on what camera bag is suitable.

Now to decide on what camera bag is suitable.

I'll put in a recommendation for the Passport Sling by Lowepro - I bought it before my Spain trip, and I love it. It can be worn across body like a messenger bag, but still has a padded box for the protection of your camera. It also has enough extra space and divisions to carry some other stuff, whether it's extra lenses, your wallet, a book, a water bottle, or sunglasses, etc. http://www.lowepro.com/passport-sling-feature

I'll put in a recommendation for the Passport Sling by Lowepro - I bought it before my Spain trip, and I love it. It can be worn across body like a messenger bag, but still has a padded box for the protection of your camera. It also has enough extra space and divisions to carry some other stuff, whether it's extra lenses, your wallet, a book, a water bottle, or sunglasses, etc. http://www.lowepro.com/passport-sling-feature

I've been using a passport sling for over three years - love it! I especially like the fact it doesn't look like a "camera" bag -- not to mention plenty of room for all my stuff.

In really crowded areas I often wear it up against my body under my vest/jacket.

I was near-terrified of my first trip to Barcelona last year after hearing horror stories of all the pickpockets on Las Ramblas. Now after visiting the lovely city twice in the last year, I can tell you a few things that are fact.

1. On Las Ramblas, you can really spot most of the pickpockets! Take a look around -- you will literally SEE the people sizing up unsuspecting tourists! Once you go, you will see what I mean.

2. Yes, there are pickpockets and yes, they like to target tourists. But having a clear awareness of the scams (Google search "street scams of Barcelona" and memorize them) and taking precautions (like a Pac-Safe bag, Stash-It-Ware undies, no wallet in your back pocket, etc.), you will make the pickpockets skip right over you and stalk an easier target.

Don't let your fear of being pickpocketed consume you (it almost consumed me before my first trip to Europe). If you take steps to protect yourself, you'll be fine. I had no problem carrying my day bag and camera.

I was near-terrified of my first trip to Barcelona last year after hearing horror stories of all the pickpockets on Las Ramblas. Now after visiting the lovely city twice in the last year, I can tell you a few things that are fact.

1. On Las Ramblas, you can really spot most of the pickpockets! Take a look around -- you will literally SEE the people sizing up unsuspecting tourists! Once you go, you will see what I mean.

2. Yes, there are pickpockets and yes, they like to target tourists. But having a clear awareness of the scams (Google search "street scams of Barcelona" and memorize them) and taking precautions (like a Pac-Safe bag, Stash-It-Ware undies, no wallet in your back pocket, etc.), you will make the pickpockets skip right over you and stalk an easier target.

Don't let your fear of being pickpocketed consume you (it almost consumed me before my first trip to Europe). If you take steps to protect yourself, you'll be fine. I had no problem carrying my day bag and camera.

...with moviegal. Great points. We've visited Barcelona numerous times and have observed pickpockets along Las Ramblas. On our most recent cruise visit, three (yes, 3) crew members walking together got mugged and robbed.

I walked around with my Nikon DSLR (D90 and 18-200 lens) and felt safe. Perhaps having a lightweight tripod...scared them away...it would definitely hurt if I smacked you with my tripod. :D

...with moviegal. Great points. We've visited Barcelona numerous times and have observed pickpockets along Las Ramblas. On our most recent cruise visit, three (yes, 3) crew members walking together got mugged and robbed.

I walked around with my Nikon DSLR (D90 and 18-200 lens) and felt safe. Perhaps having a lightweight tripod...scared them away...it would definitely hurt if I smacked you with my tripod. :D

Are you sure they were mugged and robbed? That is very unusual in Barcelona.

There are indeed lots of pickpockets but not 'mugging' which implies some sort of physical assault.

Millions of people visit Barcelona safely every year but it does have a high pickpocket rate. You just need to take sensible precautions and be aware of what is around you. We've visited a number of times including one trip on my own with my 6 year old all without problems.

It's a great city and I'm sure you will enjoy it but it is possible to become so hyped up by these crime stories that your enjoyment can be limited. That's what happened to me on my first trip to the states many years ago.

I was in Barcelona this past October.

I walked around with a Nikon D90 and didn't have any issues. We also didn't encounter any problems on the metro or at the Magic Fountain.

I use a black rapid strap so the camera can be worn across my body and simply kept one hand on the camera at all times. My husband carried my camera bag (a messenger style bag that can be worn across the body) which had my extra lens and and also didn't have any problems. He kept one hand on the bag at all times.

As long as you're aware of your surroundings and take the same precautions with your camera that you would in any large city you'll be fine.

Your camera can be easily replaced. I worry about my passport and debit card. Also, we were almost ripped off of our backpack which hubby placed on the ground stupidly to read the map:rolleyes: the only thing in there was some guidebooks and my good pair of eyeglasses as I was wearing my prescription sunglasses. I would have killed him if those eyeglasses were lost, I would be walking around 24/7 wearing dark glasses like a blind person. Some nice clean cut guy was asking him for directions while his friend lurked about. Fortunately because of warnings I read here on CC, I immediately picked up the backpack and yelled No and started walking away. It is very easy to put your guard down for a minute if you are in a foreign country and lost.

Are you sure they were mugged and robbed? That is very unusual in Barcelona.

There are indeed lots of pickpockets but not 'mugging' which implies some sort of physical assault.

..it was definitely a robbery/mugging. One of them was our cabin steward. And yes, he had bruises. I visited Barcelona in the 70's, 80', 92 Olympics, 2011, and last year...and observed only pickpockets....perhaps this robbery was an isolated incident.

Archived