Walkie-Talkie on a ship: good idea?

ashoor

Got to say - I have never ever heard of this until this thread - my grandson advised that it can be done quietly with the iphone app (hence my earlier post) sticky notes have been our mode of contact with the grandies on a cruise - and the good old two feet. Can't see that changing anytime soon. Each to their own - but I have never ever heard a two way on a cruise - other than the crew.

Don't see the need personally. My opinion of course.

Edited by dizzy1948

We always bring our walkie talkies with us. We have never had a problem with others being on our signal. Mine allow to set it to a channel and then have it set to another setting which keeps it private between the radios. There can be challenges depending on where you are on the ship. Overall they come in very handy.

Anyone with a FRS/GMRS hand held radio (aka walkie talkie) can hear every word uttered over the air. There is no such thing as a "private" setting.

Exactly. VERY risky, especially in the Caribbean. (And actually, it's a violation of national law, not local.)

As for ham radios (it's not "HAM", btw), reciprocal licenses from the country to be visited are usually required. Check with the Wireless Institute of Australia. (http://www.wia.org.au/)

Use in international waters (called "MM" or "maritime mobile") aboard ship requires permission from the Captain - usually handled by the radio officer. Hand held radios are usually easy to get permission, larger HF radios are more difficult. (I'm an Extra Class operator and license examiner.)

My mistake. I should have said national law. I am a life member of ARRL here in the US.

Like you I hold an Extra Class Amateur Radio License, am a VE and life member of QCWA. QCWA has a cruise planned on HAL for this fall and will have several HF stations on the air already approved by HAL.

Perhaps I will run into all you cruising hams in Dayton in May.

Edited by satxdiver

Agree with everyone. Being a typical overcontrolling overorganized pain in the butt dad, I dragged good two way radios around on every vacation/cruise we took. Until I finally got it through my hard head that while I may want to "stay in touch" with the kids/wife, they did not share a similar interest!

The other point about reception is valid. My experience (over 3 diff cruise lines and 5 ships) is that the reception is very poor. Using them onshore is much more workable, but see my first paragraph! Listen to everyone here who says don't bother with radios. Post-it notes are much less annoying to other guests.

Walkie-Talkie on a ship: good idea? Especially when two groups of people and you are constantly doing different things etc.

Has anyone used walkie-talkie to get in touch with family and friends on a ship?

See what you did?

Ask a simple question about walkie talkies and it morphs into dissertations about the laws and rules of using ham radio equipment.

Shame on you!:p

Edited by Stevesan

Like you I hold an Extra Class Amateur Radio License, am a VE and life member of QCWA. QCWA has a cruise planned on HAL for this fall and will have several HF stations on the air already approved by HAL.

Perhaps I will run into all you cruising hams in Dayton in May.

Whilst i will be in Dayton, you wont see me at the Hamfest LOL If i am, there it will be kicking and screaming all the way or to stop him from a spending spree on something he 'must have'! LOL

We didnt need permission to take his hand held radio on the Queen Victoria a few years ago, but I will have him email Princess for approval.

cheers

sharon

As my partner is a full call licensed amateur radio operator, he is aware of the reciprocal license agreements. He is also a member of the WIA.

Before we start our big trip, we actually have to go via Dayton! You know what that means! LOL

sharon

Look me up in Dayton!! K4JF :o)

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

The other point about reception is valid. My experience (over 3 diff cruise lines and 5 ships) is that the reception is very poor. Using them onshore is much more workable, but see my first paragraph! Listen to everyone here who says don't bother with radios. Post-it notes are much less annoying to other guests.

Exactly. First hand experience: When my son also went on a cruise with us (he's not a ham), we took FRS radios. (Motorola, good quality) The only time we had solid contact was when we were both on our balconies, which were on the same side. Never again.

See what you did?

Ask a simple question about walkie talkies and it morphs into dissertations about the laws and rules of using ham radio equipment.

Shame on you!:p

There are several types of "walkie talkies", including ham HTs. I have used one on ship, but for some strange reason, Celebrity prohibits them. (I didn't need a reciprocal license for our recent visit to San Juan, but Celebrity prohibited me from taking one with me.)

If you have iphone 4 or 5 you can use the walkie talkie feature from iTunes

Voxer Walkie-Talkie PTT for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the ...

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/voxer-walkie-talkie.../id377304531

I looked this up, and you need a data connection of some sort. That means either paying for the ship's expensive internet connection, or using the ship's expensive satellite connection. I think I'll stick with notes on doors and messages on cabin phones.

Walkie-Talkie on a ship: good idea? Especially when two groups of people and you are constantly doing different things etc.

Has anyone used walkie-talkie to get in touch with family and friends on a ship?

This habit is extremely annoying to most people that will be around you -

• 1 month later...
Was wondering if this app would work on board....have you tried it?

The iPhone only can communicate if the phone is connected to the carrier's network, and thus you'll be charged. It's not capable of being a walkie talkie on it's own, doesn't transmit that way. The App requires a cell signal/internet. So use at your own financial risk onboard.

Edited by cardqb

There are several types of "walkie talkies", including ham HTs. I have used one on ship, but for some strange reason, Celebrity prohibits them. (I didn't need a reciprocal license for our recent visit to San Juan, but Celebrity prohibited me from taking one with me.)

Not allowed on RCCL either

You may or may not find them useful but I guarantee that everyone who has to listen to the constant beeps, static, other system noises not to mention the detailed description of what you and the person on the other end has, is and is going to do will want to take the things and throw them overboard.

DON

Here are some tips on using your radios:

1. Batteries, batteries, batteries: Make sure you know what kind your radios take and carry spares with you. If you have the rechargeable kind, make sure they get recharged. And even then, they’ll probably go dead just when you need them most. Murphy’s Law goes double for battery operated devices.

2. Check several frequencies and security codes for open air waves. Be aware that because it’s open now doesn’t mean it will be open later.

3. Make sure the radios are set to the same frequency and security code. Sounds simple and basic, but it is the most common reason for not being able to get through.

4. If you can’t get through, try moving. Sometimes just a few feet can make a large difference. Radio waves don’t travel as well through metal as through the air, so the structure of the ship can block you.

5. If the person on the receiving end can’t hear or understand you, don’t talk louder. It won’t make it louder on the receiving end; it will just make it more distorted and harder to understand. The microphones and circuitry are designed for a normal speaking voice. That is how they work best.

6. Be aware that just because the radios are legal in the US, doesn’t mean they are legal in other countries. Check first. I know someone who was detained for using the same frequency the local police were using.

Enjoy

Ron

• 2 months later...
Walkie talkies came in very handy on our last couple cruises, especially with kids.. but also communications with the spouse. The ships are so large that it does make it difficult sometimes if you're on opposite ends or there is lots of structure between.

But definitely look into it as a viable option for communication. Don't go all out and buy the expensive ones, we found the cheap old ones that took 2 AA batteries worked better than our newer fancy rechargeable ones!

Just keep in mind many others might also be using them and you'll want to use an obscure channel.. Something like 12-4 or other off the norm frequency besides the standard 1-1, 2-1,3-1, etc. You will understand when you see the walkie talkies.

Hi there what are the make of your walkie talkies? thanks

We use Motorola brand walkie talkies or "2-way radios" as they are now called.

Our rechargeable ones no longer hold a charge and we started shopping around for a new set. Be careful not to buy the generic 22 channel type, you'll want the security code/channel feature or you could be stuck with several others on the same channel.

After seeing the prices for new walkie talkies to replace the rechargeable ones we have, I discovered that by removing the rechargeable battery pack you can actually place regular AA batteries into ours. That's something I'm not sure many realize.

Just used them on the Grand Princess this past week. Nobody on our channel, just us. Had some issues if we were across the ship with many decks between. But going to the atrium usually gave us a signal from bow to stern.

Nobody complained or gave dirty looks when we used them. In fact many asked how they worked and wanted to get some of their own. Although we try to be discrete and keep the volume down when talking on them.

I have some nice ones. I've used them for car to car communication when traveling in a group and they were extremely useful. I didn't take them onboard when cruising in the past and don't plan to do so in the future. My son has booked cruises when we were cruising as well and, while the radios "may" have been useful we felt they would be intrusive.

People are on vacation. They don't want to hear us blathering on the radios to each other. Aside from that, WE are on vacation and have no desire to carry around a radio handset. There's enough discussion on these boards about people who use a lanyard for their cruise card because they don't have pockets. Carrying around a handset would be much more of a hassle!

Of course I don't do social networking either. I have no desire to be tethered to the world all the time. One of the great things about a ship is being (mostly) unreachable. The first thing I do is turn off my cell phone and stash it away. I don't need to talk to "the world" or read my email or anything. I just want to relax and enjoy the ship.

People are on vacation. They don't want to hear us blathering on the radios to each other. Aside from that, WE are on vacation and have no desire to carry around a radio handset. There's enough discussion on these boards about people who use a lanyard for their cruise card because they don't have pockets. Carrying around a handset would be much more of a hassle!

Of course I don't do social networking either. I have no desire to be tethered to the world all the time. One of the great things about a ship is being (mostly) unreachable. The first thing I do is turn off my cell phone and stash it away. I don't need to talk to "the world" or read my email or anything. I just want to relax and enjoy the ship.

Very well said. If there was a "like button" to push, I would hit it several times!:)

We used them when we had the whole family on a cruise (kids & grandkids)... but only for quick one sentence messages.. We certainly didn't use them like cell phones!! I can't believe anyone would feel intruded upon by a quick message just to let each other know where we were or where to meet us.

I can't believe anyone would feel intruded upon by a quick message just to let each other know where we were or where to meet us.

I completely agree. We've used ours where one of us was in the dining room, and the people at the next table weren't even aware of it. While I know that usage by a few people might border on intrusive, I think that, in general, people way overreact about them.

DH abhors loud crackling laughter, but hears it everyday on every cruise. He's learned to accept it and move on.