The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

Cheers is definitely worth it for us. None of what follows were "forced" drinks to hit a minimum/maximum, and I never drank so much that I was ill.

It was lovely to be able to try new drinks, to have bartenders suggest wine pairings, etc., without having to worry about cost. Would have been nice if a carafe of sake was included (and not as a 25% discounted drink).

Here's how my breakdown went:

Day 1:

Iced cafe latte - $3.50

Patron margarita - $10.95

Blue margarita - $8.25

Water -$1.25

Beachcomber - $8.95

Spiked root beer float - $8.00

Rum Treasure - $10.95

Water - $1.25

The Youthful and Bold Berritini - $10.50

Moscato - $8.75

Diet Coke - $1.50

Diet Coke - $1.50

TOTAL: $75.35

Day 2:

St. Germain - $6.75

St. Germain - $6.75

Diet Coke - $1.50

Coney Island Hard Root Beer - $5.50

Coney Island Hard Root Beer - $5.50

Moscato - $8.75

St. Germain - $6.75

St. Germain and Champagne - $9.50

Water - $1.25

St. Germain - $6.75

St. Germain - $6.75

TOTAL: $65.75

Day 3:

Peach Bellini -$8

Miami Vice - $8.25

Mango margarita - $8.95

Angry Orchard - $5.95

Mademoiselle - $9.25

Moscato - $8.75

St. Germain - $6.75

St. Germain - $6.75

Twilight Zone - $8.25

Water - $1.25

Diet Coke - $1.50

TOTAL: $73.65

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now that one sounds interesting, where do you get that (which bar) and is it listed like that?

Now that coffees and milk shakes are included, I'm really considering buying it. We have in the past, on shorter cruise, but for a 7 day....it's a bit pricey. It was great fun though, trying out new drinks. I can't remember about those after dinner specialty shots though. I know the souvenier glass drinks are NOT included, but I wonder if you can ask for the shot in a "regular" shot glass? Anyone with experience? Thanks!

Poflcruzr.... Yes, shots in regular glasses are OK to get either in the MDR or at any bar.

Nickalal7.....since a spiked milkshake contains alcohol, yes it does count against your 15 per day and a double shot counts as 2 drinks.

• 2 weeks later...

I was considering purchasing the cheers package for my husband, but I do not drink due to medical reasons. I think it is asinine that I would have to be charged for the same package. I also do not see this is a good deal when you cannot use your cheers package on the carnivals private islands. On port days I do not see how the package would be good even on those days. I will say that this is one thing that Norwegian has a big one up on, not to mention that Norwegian runs promotions all of the time to get a free ultimate beverage package. I think carnival needs to step up to the plate and consider making some changes to their drink package. I do love cruising with carnival though.

I wish they would amend it to include coffee, if they would I would go for it, coffee is cheaper than beer, wonder why they wont count it in?

The following beverages are now available within the enhanced CHEERS! program:

All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer and glasses of wine, with a $50 USD or lower menu price per serving

Zero-Proof frozen cocktails, sodas (including specialty sodas) and juices

Specialty coffees and teas served in the main dining rooms, specialty restaurants and coffee bars

Milkshakes

RockStar energy drinks, Powerade, Vitamin Water, Coconut Water and Honest Tea

500ml bottles of water served in bars and lounges

Large format (1 liter and 1.5-liter) bottles of water in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants

25 percent discount off the menu price for any spirit, cocktail or wine by the glass, costing above $50 USD per serving

25 percent discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle and larger format water bottles purchased outside the main dining rooms or specialty restaurants

25 percent discount off the menu price for all beverage classes and seminars

I am going to try the Cheers program on a three day cruise. Can't wait. 40 days :)

Bobbi

Edited by bobbismith
coffee was miss spelled and need to add

I was considering purchasing the cheers package for my husband, but I do not drink due to medical reasons. I think it is asinine that I would have to be charged for the same package. I also do not see this is a good deal when you cannot use your cheers package on the carnivals private islands. On port days I do not see how the package would be good even on those days. I will say that this is one thing that Norwegian has a big one up on, not to mention that Norwegian runs promotions all of the time to get a free ultimate beverage package. I think carnival needs to step up to the plate and consider making some changes to their drink package. I do love cruising with carnival though.

The cheers package is a option for some cruisers. Just like excursions are options for some cruisers. Your husband can still buy drinks individually, I don't see where this should affect you. However, if you think that Norwegian is a better value for you and your husband, its nice to have that option as well and you can sail with them instead of carnival. If carnival would follow Norwegian on this, they would raise their prices for the drink package, or would raise the cost of crusing for everyone. This way prices stay reasonable, and people that want to pay for the cheers package can do so, versus all cruisers paying etc. so the cheers package can be enhanced.

I think that it's something that you just have to decide on a case by case basis. For example, I'm sailing out of Mobile on a 4 day trip to Cozumel that includes two days at sea, but only one port day. Because Cheers isn't available until the second day the total for my husband and I will be just shy of $350. I can (or at least at one point in time could) run up a $350 bar tab by myself in 2 sea days, so Cheers is totally worth it on this trip and would be even if my husband didn't drink. However, the 7 day Southern Caribbean trip I'm currently dreaming about only has 1 sea day and 6 port days. I wouldn't buy Cheers for that one.

As far as promotions go, I know that when I look at RCI or NCL that their "free" drink package is actually built into the cost of the cruise itself. That's why Carnival is generally among the cheapest options for a given itinerary. So, people who don't drink end up subsidizing all the people who do rather than just their cabinmate.

As far as promotions go, I know that when I look at RCI or NCL that their "free" drink package is actually built into the cost of the cruise itself. That's why Carnival is generally among the cheapest options for a given itinerary. So, people who don't drink end up subsidizing all the people who do rather than just their cabinmate.

When has Royal Caribbean ever offered a drink package for free? Sometimes they have 20% off but I've never seen it free. Celebrity offers a free beverage package and their prices are much higher than CCL. Another thing about NCL's free deal is that you still pay gratuities on the imaginary price of the package, which is the highest in the industry.

If we did a survey and everyone answered honestly, I bet 95% of adults over 21 spend more than $50 a day on drinks (any type). I love bloody Mary's and coffee. I can get my money's worth before lunch.

Bobbi

I honestly would be in the 5% that spends under $50 per day.

If we did a survey and everyone answered honestly, I bet 95% of adults over 21 spend more than $50 a day on drinks (any type). I love bloody Mary's and coffee. I can get my money's worth before lunch.

Bobbi

I only go over $50 on SeaDays. The one cruise I did not have CHEERS! I was right around $300 for a 7 day cruise.

Bobbi

I don't know about 95%, that's a bit high, but I bet somewhere around 85-90% is probably accurate.

I'm not a huge drinker these days (back before kids I would have gotten my money's worth by noon), but I like to enjoy a really good margarita or martini especially while on vacation. I will also enjoy a mimosa or two with brunch, since it is vacation after all. :) I can see hitting the "break even" point easily, especially now that non-alcoholic beverages are included.

I just tried to pre purchased Cheers and bottomless soda online

For Cheers is says already "purchased"-weird cause we haven't

For Bubbles I can only purchase for 1 out of 3 of us because 2 ppl already say "purchased"

Anyone seen this/ experienced this before?

I just tried to pre purchased Cheers and bottomless soda online

For Cheers is says already "purchased"-weird cause we haven't

For Bubbles I can only purchase for 1 out of 3 of us because 2 ppl already say "purchased"

Anyone seen this/ experienced this before?

Not sure about the cheers issue but you don't need to purchase bubbles if you buy cheers. Everything you can get with bubbles is included with cheers.

My usual daily bar bill is around 40.00/45.00. But to keep the cost down, I stick to the lower priced drinks and wines, as well as I don't purchase the specialty coffees or soda. With the new inclusions, I can enjoy the coffees, and a better quality wine, and an occasional soda, so I think it will be beneficial to me. Also, I like that I can prepay it now, and get that charge out of way before my cruise.

On a 7 day cruise with 4 ports that are docked for 8+ hrs each (cozumel plus cruise) did you find it still worth it? were you still spending 50+ a day on port days? or did you feel compelled to buy more to justify the expense? THats my concern. I know we would spend that on 3 of the 7 days. But the other 4 days, we will have far less time on the ship to drink anything let alone alcohol drinks.

On a 7 day cruise with 4 ports that are docked for 8+ hrs each (cozumel plus cruise) did you find it still worth it? were you still spending 50+ a day on port days? or did you feel compelled to buy more to justify the expense? THats my concern. I know we would spend that on 3 of the 7 days. But the other 4 days, we will have far less time on the ship to drink anything let alone alcohol drinks.

I am in the 95%... ok that is something you have to decide for yourself. As for me I worry about the 15 limit. On a port day I normally have a mamosa or ballini during breakfast. And I grab a drink when I get back onboard. During dinner I will have a glass or three of wine. Then after dinner coctails. By then I will have had 9 drinks on a port day.

On a 7 day cruise with 3 ports 1 snorkeled 1 scuba dived and 1 island tour I averaged 11 drinks a day on RCCL. I normally don't drink that much but it is a vacation and I have a high tolerance to alcohol.

The addition of coffees, energy drinks, and bottled waters sealed the deal for us.

We also like to try new things, but don't usually pick a cruise to do that. We usually stick with our regular beer, occasional fun drink, occasional low shelf bloody mary. Now we can do our usual trying of new things while we are on vacation.

Even if we did our usual cheap beers and a couple of fun drinks, if we get a coffee, an energy drink (I have an unhealthy dependence on caffeine) and a bottle of water-- I think it would pay for itself. I think for us it will be worth it even on port days. If it's not, we will have spilled the savings from the sea days.

We are excited about the peace of mind, although I do wonder if having the Cheers package equates to not as good of service to bartenders or eye rolls and watered down drinks? I hate to sound critical or cautious, but it's a thought I had. We generally get nothing but positive service and good convo from bartenders, and I am hoping nothing will change that.

It would be cool if they could somehow keep tally of what you take from the mini fridge, even if it adds to the next day's tabs. I doubt I would ever reach 15 alcoholic drinks, so I wouldn't mind "paying for" what I drank the night before in the mini fridge.

Bobbi

This is a comment proving projection is a thing.