What do you do with dirty rooms service dishes?

towel-animal

I think it would be helpful if the kitchen prep people put a 'note' on the tray telling passengers where to put the used dishes when finished. :p

Wish they would..!!;)--Would certainly make things easier for everyone!

I leave mine in the room. If I need them cleared a bit faster I would just call for someone to get them. Ther is a table under the TV where the ic bucket is that I leave my tray/ plates. If I am leaving the room I may move to on top of the sink. I would agree not to leave outside as if someone stumbles they could hurt themselves and/ or cause a huge mess.

No need to make me feel stupid. I just didn't want to do something improper and irritate anybody.

Good for you! Actually, this is a very good question indeed. I don't like leaving dirty dishes in my cabin and I really don't like the hazard of leaving them out the door into the hall. Recently, I looked for the room steward as you can usually see the cart floating around. He just took them from my and placed them toward the bottom of his cart. I have even seen people put dirty diaper out into the hallway. Yuck!

I've always seen people placing them outside the door. I've only ordered once so I'll be sure to ask next time!

The hallway outside the studios is REALLY narrow, much tighter than the regular passageways. I'd ask the person who delivers what they want you to do. The Studio cabins are very small and there's literally no place to put dishes other than the bed.

However, if you order room service and then go out, your steward will clear those dishes when he/she services your cabin.

I follow my Cub Scout training and put them in a mesh bag with a long rope and throw it overboard while we're moving. After an hour, I pull them back up and take them to the main dining room and put them on a table. I threw it over one time and knocked the harbor pilot off his boat. I think I'm still wanted in Nassau.

I'm reading through the NCL threads in preparation for jumping to NCL, so I'm prepared to admit I might be off the mark :D But I don't think so......not from reading one or two of the comments above.....

I've left room service trays in the cabin on Carnival and if there is any food left it doesn't seem to get taken, it's like the stewards have been told not to remove in case you haven't finished with it. So, following the thinking of a card on the tray when it is delivered would it make more sense for the card to have two sides - one saying "I'm done, please remove"....the other saying "I'm still nibbling, please leave"?

Good question, I have always wondered the same and have been on 17 cruises! I can't stand the smell of food in the room overnight so we have either put them outside or the room steward would come back before we turned in.

And as for taking them to the Lido or looking for the room steward, what's the point of getting room service if you have to get dressed and go out anyway to take the dishes back? We really don't like eating in the room but last cruise DH caught a cold and didn't want to go anywhere for a day or two and I was not about to take all those dishes back to a cart or the Lido deck. I will remember to ask next time though as I too think the dishes in the hall are tacky (even though I've done it!)

I follow my Cub Scout training and put them in a mesh bag with a long rope and throw it overboard while we're moving. After an hour, I pull them back up and take them to the main dining room and put them on a table. I threw it over one time and knocked the harbor pilot off his boat. I think I'm still wanted in Nassau.

ROFL !! As a Girl Scout I know all about those dunking bags... ;) :D

I think the big issue here is the fact that the OP is in a studio. There really is NO extra space in them to store a tray of dirty dishes (except perhaps the shower???). Leaving it inside your room for the steward to pick up the next time he/she cleans is really not an option in my opinion.

I will say that I'm not a fan of leaving dishes in a hallway but I'm not sure there is any other way around it if in a studio. Some have suggested to call room service to remove the tray - I believe that is would be a great idea.

Personally, if in a studio I'd probably put it in the hallway and call to have them pick it up. I honestly can't see how you can 'store' it in your room.

Have a great cruise, btw!

I like it! :D:p

I see you are in a studio, which is quite small and no place to put the dirty dishes, plus the smell would remain. I would ask the room steward when he delivers the food, if you can call him to pick them up after you are done. At that time, if there is something else he would like you to do (like putting them in the hall) , he will tell you at that time. I would not automatically put them in the hall.

I think the big issue here is the fact that the OP is in a studio. There really is NO extra space in them to store a tray of dirty dishes (except perhaps the shower???). Leaving it inside your room for the steward to pick up the next time he/she cleans is really not an option in my opinion.

I will say that I'm not a fan of leaving dishes in a hallway but I'm not sure there is any other way around it if in a studio. Some have suggested to call room service to remove the tray - I believe that is would be a great idea.

Personally, if in a studio I'd probably put it in the hallway and call to have them pick it up. I honestly can't see how you can 'store' it in your room.

Have a great cruise, btw!

You hit the nail on the head. If I wasn't in a studio it wouldn't be a problem, but I know the lack of space will make it awkward and messy. Seems to be an even split of replies saying hallway or leave them. I'll just ask the person who delivers it and see what they say, and I'll let you guys know.

Personally, I will call to have them picked up or the cabin steward will remove. If it is in my way and needs to be removed quickly, I will put outside the door and it is usually picked up pretty fast. I know certain lines do not like room service trays to be sitting outside your door as it could pose a safety hazard.

I applaud the OP for being conscious of finding out what the proper procedure may be.

Putting dishes on the floor outside your door may get them out of your room quickly but its not a good practice. On our first cruise someone stumbled into or just kicked the dirty dishes as food was tracked into the carpet for 20 feet from the door. Makes for a big cleanup effort.

I have tended to put them in the hall, I have had room stewards who left the tray still sitting in the cabin from breakfast and it was already past dinner. I think for some reason they thought I wanted the tray or items, but it stayed there until I placed it into the hall.

Archived