Cliffs Notes from my RCI cruise to CCL folks.

seannyice81

I sailed on The Brilliance of the seas last year for the same price as the Carnival Paradise . It was awesome . The service , the entertainment & the decor were great . The food was superior to Carnival . I especially liked that you did not need to wait at the omelet station . They gave you a number and delivered it to your table . The also had nightly drink specials . All in all if RCL was priced equal to Carnival I would pick RCL.

I just recently had my 1st Royal cruise on Oasis and I was expecting an atmosphere completely different because all I kept reading was how Royal was SO much better than Carnival. Well, there were a few differences, but honestly it was pretty much the same as Carnival. Both lines have good entertainment, but definitely better on Oasis. Both lines have good food, but oh how I missed my chocolate melting cake. Both lines love to party and i've seen drunk people on Oasis too :D. Shocking, huh? LOL

I am one that likes to try new things and Oasis of the Seas was a very good start into the RCCL world. Norwegian is in my future too!

My opinion also for sure now after getting off the Freedom yesterday.

Both RCCL and CCL have a ship named Freedom. I wasn't sure which one you meant at first. There are many similar names in different fleets. Dream, Splendor, Magic, etc. I always wondered why they did that. Aren't there enough names to go around?

RCL stuffy, unfriendly?

I don't think so

I don't think so either, but I understand how someone might think so.

We've sailed both lines about equally. In fact, it will be 10 cruises on each by the end of next year. I'm pretty much price driven when selecting my cruises. At least the ones that I select. If I'm joining someone else, of course, I have no choice. That's how those 2 NCL cruises got in the list and some of the Royal ones too.

If I see a good price on either CCL or RCCL cruise, I consider it. Transatlantic cruises are priced right on RCCL. I haven't seen too many on CCL. Maybe because CCL stays in the US in the summer and RCCL sends some ships to Europe in the summrr. Hmm, never thought of that.

Anyway, the cruises I've selected have been comparibly priced, whichever line we cruised, at around $50-$75 pp/night.

The food is good on both, but I usually eat in the MDR, no specialty restaurants. RCCL seems to have more headliners, but CCL has lots of good comedians. There is lots to like on both and both lines have some minor issues. Like, I'll never sail Carnival at spring break again! Probably, RCCL has the same problems with kids, I've never cruised at that time with them.

I have to admit, thinking back, I've never had a balcony on RCCL. I've had several balcony cabins on Carnival, including the wrap-around aft corner on CCL Magic and the Owner's Suite on the CCL Ecstacy. Wow, maybe Carnival is less expensive. I've just had a..., whadda ya call it--epiphany. LOL

Both RCCL and CCL have a ship named Freedom.

There are many similar names in different fleets. I always wondered why they did that.

Aren't there enough names to go around?

The Freedom/Liberty names specifically where chosen during a time of heightened patriotism in this country, right after the 9/11 attacks. In addition to these two names chosen by both Carnival and RCCL, Carnival also launched the Valor and RCCL launched the Independence.

There was an article once explaining this phenomenon but I don't recall the specifics.

Well if someone says RCCL is double, then it must be true

When people pay the rock bottom Early Saver Rate and don't choose their own room on CCL, I can understand how they think their cruise is so much cheaper than RCI, but actually pick your own room in a good location on CCL and the prices turn out to be pretty much the same. But yeah - if someone said it on the internet, it has to be true.

J

-Entertainment- RCI was so much better! LIVE REGGAE/CARIBBEAN MUSIC on the Lido Deck!!!

-The ship was awesome! and HUGE! RCI Doesn't have slides or a ropes course, but they do have flowriders and rock walls!

I think these are the 2 biggest areas that set RCI apart from CCL. CCL cannot touch RCI's entertainment, and you weren't even on a ship that had a Broadway production. The other 2 Freedom Class ships, all Oasis Class and all Quantum Class have full length production shows that are just as good as on Broadway.

And when it comes to ship design, RCI is King.

I was on Freedom of the Seas in December. My only RCL cruise. It was much more subdued and laid back than Carnival. I really missed all the trivia and activities on Carnival. And many of the passengers were not as friendly as the ones Ive encountered on Carnival. While I enjoyed my RCL cruise, I much prefer Carnival. A good way for me to describe it is on the RCL cruise, I felt like a visitor, but when I cruise Carnival, I feel at home. I feel more at ease, like Im seeing an old friend. I would cruise RCL again if the opportunity ever presents itself, but I think Carnival will continue to be my first choice. :cool:

We were on the FOS in April, a cruise with family. Not my choice. My husband and I are inside cabin people. We have had all types of rooms and this is just what we prefer, the exceptions being the Panama Canal Transit and Alaska. With that being said the inside room on the FOS was the size of a shoe box, not near the storage space of CCL, ok for 2 but I think a stretch for any more than that. The dining room was fine, food was good , but the windjammer food to me was awful, then to have only one side open at a time and having to stand in line to get in was strange to say the least, and this was during Spring Break.

Both RCCL and CCL have a ship named Freedom. I wasn't sure which one you meant at first. There are many similar names in different fleets. Dream, Splendor, Magic, etc. I always wondered why they did that. Aren't there enough names to go around?

My signature specifies which

If you are booking apples to apples and choose the right time ahead to book, RCCL prices can be very similar especially for balconies

Actually the only time I ever see any price on Royal Caribbean being anywhere close to Carnival price for the same time of year comparing two cruises is when it's one of their very old ships. When I look for a cruise on Allure or Oasis the only time the price is the same is if you compare midsummer on Carnival with Midwinter on those ships. I might be more tempted if I were not platinum on Carnival. Some people may criticize the Platinum perks on Carnival but I find it very enjoyable to be treated as well as they treat me and I miss that when I cruise with other lines.

I might be more tempted if I were not platinum on Carnival. Some people may criticize the Platinum perks on Carnival but I find it very enjoyable to be treated as well as they treat me and I miss that when I cruise with other lines.

One of the things that my wife and I considered ironic was that we were treated better as first timers on Princess than as Platinum on Carnival. Somewhat places into perspective how insignificant some of those perks are.

Just back from my RCI Independence of the Seas cruise. Pretty good! Some surprises though. Heres a couple quick comparisons

-Food- Carnival was so much better. I would have killed for a Blue Iguana burrito! The dining room service took longer and they had more staff! Anyone who complains here would be surprised with how it compares.

-Entertainment- RCI was so much better! LIVE REGGAE/CARIBBEAN MUSIC on the Lido Deck!!!

-The ship was awesome! and HUGE! RCI Doesn't have slides or a ropes course, but they do have flowriders and rock walls!

-Bow thrusters caused earthquakes in the front half of the ship! I wondered if one was about to come loose!

-No secret decks, but you can walk out on the bow!

I go more into depth on the RCI board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1800736

I'll probably sail both lines again at some time. Its good to see if the grass really is greener across the street once in a while. In this case it was just as green.

I have had, good cruises on both lines but, I do agree with the OP that the entertainment on RC is better. The food is about the same to me.

One of the things that my wife and I considered ironic was that we were treated better as first timers on Princess than as Platinum on Carnival. Somewhat places into perspective how insignificant some of those perks are.

Unfortunately that wasn't my experience. I spent four times the price for my sister and I to cruise to Alaska on the Island Princess and had the worst cabin steward and the worst service that I've had in years. The hallways and the rooms were smaller. Indeed our mini suite was same size as a regular balcony cabin on Carnival. Otherwise the ship was much prettier. The lines at the information desk were extremely long compared with the nice short platinum line on Carnival ships. I did like the drinks plan the island princess had that for a very low price only a couple of dollars more per day than for the standard soda card gave us virgin frozen drinks and malts from the ice cream shop.

I cruised with RCI on the Enchantment back in 2006. I remember disliking the MDR food and the cruise in general was meh. My then 13 year old professed how much better Camp Carnival was so we went back to Carnival. Now 9 years later we are itching for a change and pricing cruises back in September the Independence was the same price as the Conquest but with RCI we were getting a $100 obc. We are going on the Indy in 4 months and are looking forward to a more laid back cruise. Will report back here on the differences.

Unfortunately that wasn't my experience. I spent four times the price for my sister and I to cruise to Alaska on the Island Princess and had the worst cabin steward and the worst service that I've had in years.

I understand your disappointment. It seems though that it was caused by bad services in general, which can happen, no question about it. But what I'm referring to are things like early embarkation, and having our stateroom ready as soon as we set foot on the ship, and the complimentary stateroom decorations, as well as complimentary anniversary cake one night at the MDR, and the invitation to a special event. All of this as first timers on Princess. On Carnival, without Platinum status, we would've paid for some of those things and would've never had access to the other perks. Once again, kinda puts things into perspective.

I've done both Crnival and RC, but I am with many of you who say the same thing about price. I can't justify the RC price...and I haven't done Norwegian or Disney because of the prices.

I've only done 1 RC cruise, and two Carnival ones, with 3 more Carnival ones planned this year. I think RC has better food, but Carnival has better entertainment, for the exception of live bands. However, I was on RC with my then husband, who is a kill joy, so I think I need to give RC another chance. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't compare RCL, or NCL to Disney, one is a great experiance with wonder service, food, magic, the other two, well just cost more.

We did RCL, 3500, 7 days balcony. bah. We have a suite on carnival for 3k. the room on RCL was TINY the fold out couch/bed for dd left NO room to walk, thankfully, it was able to only be pulled out 2/3. Disney has much bigger rooms, two bathrooms, way better service. Service on NCL was the worse. I wasn't impressed by RCL. If i'm paying more, I expect more. I have low expectations for carnival, since I'm paying less.

If I'm giong to pay more, I want magic. Otherwise, carnival is fine.

Now, we haven't tried other cruise lines, we can't justify flying and the extra travel days (plus the addional vacation days, boarding days, ect) so we're 'limited' to port of new orleans (unless Disney, we're willing to drive to gal for Disney).

I DO recomend trying different lines, if a deal or ports appeal to you, as someone said, everyone likes something different and clearly there are MANY who do enjoy NCL or RCL.

I understand your disappointment. It seems though that it was caused by bad services in general, which can happen, no question about it. But what I'm referring to are things like early embarkation, and having our stateroom ready as soon as we set foot on the ship, and the complimentary stateroom decorations, as well as complimentary anniversary cake one night at the MDR, and the invitation to a special event. All of this as first timers on Princess. On Carnival, without Platinum status, we would've paid for some of those things and would've never had access to the other perks. Once again, kinda puts things into perspective.

Again unfortunately not our experience. I had arranged this trip as a gift for my sisters 60th birthday and had spent a long time on the phone to arrange for the door of the room to be decorated upon our arrival. I had been assured that there would be a happy birthday sign on the door. despite the fact that we were quite late arriving to the ship due to the travel time required from the airport in Anchorage there was no sign on the door. when I asked the room steward about it he simply got snippy and said it'll be there when I'm ready to put it up. So again none of the things you mentioned above were experienced by my sister or I. Now I can understand that it's possible that we simply got the one crappy room steward but the simple fact is on the two Princess Cruises that I have been on the service was far inferior to the service I have received on the 18 Carnival cruises I've been on. That is why there is such a drastic difference in those numbers.

Edited by Jana60

Again unfortunately not our experience....

Can't argue with your experience. You've made your case! [emoji18] With such polarizing experiences between yours and mine, the big question is, which one is representative of what Princess truly offers and which one is an anomaly?

You can't compare RCL, or NCL to Disney, one is a great experiance with wonder service, food, magic, the other two, well just cost more.

We did RCL, 3500, 7 days balcony. bah. We have a suite on carnival for 3k. the room on RCL was TINY the fold out couch/bed for dd left NO room to walk, thankfully, it was able to only be pulled out 2/3. Disney has much bigger rooms, two bathrooms, way better service. Service on NCL was the worse. I wasn't impressed by RCL. If i'm paying more, I expect more. I have low expectations for carnival, since I'm paying less.

If I'm giong to pay more, I want magic. Otherwise, carnival is fine.

Now, we haven't tried other cruise lines, we can't justify flying and the extra travel days (plus the addional vacation days, boarding days, ect) so we're 'limited' to port of new orleans (unless Disney, we're willing to drive to gal for Disney).

I DO recomend trying different lines, if a deal or ports appeal to you, as someone said, everyone likes something different and clearly there are MANY who do enjoy NCL or RCL.

I agree about cabin sizes. In my experience, and I've cruised RCCL, NCL, Carnival, Princess, HAL, and lines nobody's heard of, Carnival overall has the largest cabins. NCL's cabins are the smallest in my experience. I cruised in a junior suite on NCL that was smaller than Carnival's ocean-view cabins.

If i'm paying more, I expect more. I have low expectations for carnival, since I'm paying less.

I think that's the "Golden Rule" when sailing on Carnival. Realistic expectations.

We were not overly impressed with Princess, and we wanted to be! Having been a "Love Boat" fan when I was a kid (and still watching re-runs on MeTV occasionally now) we were excited to finally try Princess and really wanted it to be a great experience. It was fine, don't get me wrong, but we didn't feel it warranted the extra $$$. The kids preferred Carnival's kids club over Princess' also.

Maybe it was because my kids were young at the time (3 and 7), but we really felt like we got a lot of "side eye" from people and our general perception was that the majority of the people were encountered on that cruise were snooty and not very friendly.

We probably would not sail Princess again unless we got a really amazing deal.