Bringing wine onboard

ranchette

Also, although the policy states 750ml bottles, many people bring boxed wines (which hold more than 750ml) onboard without issue. The last time we cruised, I brought on a 1 liter bottle and it was fine as well.

Where does the policy state 750ml bottles?

Does this mean that there is no corkage fee if we enjoy it in our room, and do I need to bring a corkscrew?

Here's the official policy, per the Celebrity website:

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you at the beginning of the cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25. The only exception to this policy is on our "Wine Cruises," which depart on the following dates:

• Celebrity Century: April 27, 2013, and Sept. 26, 2013

• Celebrity Infinity: Sept. 6, 2013 - Oct. 12, 2013

• Celebrity Millennium: Sept. 13, 2013

• Celebrity Solstice: May 6, 2013, and Sept. 13, 2013

On the sail dates above, those who book a company-sponsored winery tour are permitted to bring two bottles of wine from the winery onboard per stateroom on the day of the tour. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle will be subject to a $25 corkage fee.

If you receive a bottle of wine that was purchased from our Bon Voyage Gift selection, no corkage fee will apply if the bottle is enjoyed in the dining room or any public area. If you receive a bottle from an outside vendor and/or travel agent, and the bottle was not purchased through our Bon Voyage selection, then a $25 corkage fee per bottle will apply if you wish to enjoy the wine in the dining room or any other public area. The fee will be applied to your onboard account.

Alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored onboard and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Just for completeness, the rule is that you can't bring wine (or alcohol) to your room if you buy it at a port on your cruise....they will store it for you until the last night. That's the rule....I have yet to be stopped...and I don't care if I am stopped...I know the rules.

On my last cruise, I purchased a bottle of wine in Bali (yes, their is one vineyard in Bali) to take home, just for fun. They saw it in the scanner when I boarded the ship....asked if it was wine; I said yes; the security guy said please see the person at the desk against the wall so they could keep it for me. I turned, looked a the wall he referred to and, you guessed it, there was no table...there was no table anywhere. I just took the bottle to our cabin :)

There is policy and then there is practice....on Celebrity, they only occasionally match.

We just returned from the Solstice in Australia. We took 2 bottles on when we boarded in our carry on. On our first port we brought on another 2 bottles. On our third port we brought on another 2 bottles. We were never questioned about the wine.

Where does the policy state 750ml bottles?

Hi,

From the Celebrity Website; EBrochures; Travel Information Section:

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES POLICY

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages

on all Celebrity ships is 21.

• However, on ships in Europe, Asia, Australia and

South America, where the legal drinking age is

lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or

her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the

ages of 18 and 20, may sign a waiver allowing the

18 to 20 year-old to consume alcoholic beverages.

• The 18 to 20 year-old must agree to comply with

Celebrity’s policies, including among other things,

agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any

other person, regardless of age. Restrictions

apply, and this policy is subject to change without

notice.

• An individual’s age on the date of sailing determines

his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

• Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor

onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests

wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them

at the beginning of the cruise may do so,limited to

two (2) standard size (750ml or smaller) bottlesper

stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard

restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be

subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.

Hope this helps.

You'd think they would put it in a more conspicuous place ??!!

Woody

Just for completeness, the rule is that you can't bring wine (or alcohol) to your room if you buy it at a port on your cruise....they will store it for you until the last night. That's the rule....I have yet to be stopped...and I don't care if I am stopped...I know the rules.

On my last cruise, I purchased a bottle of wine in Bali (yes, their is one vineyard in Bali) to take home, just for fun. They saw it in the scanner when I boarded the ship....asked if it was wine; I said yes; the security guy said please see the person at the desk against the wall so they could keep it for me. I turned, looked a the wall he referred to and, you guessed it, there was no table...there was no table anywhere. I just took the bottle to our cabin :)

There is policy and then there is practice....on Celebrity, they only occasionally match.

I agree with this. On our recent Equinox cruise they were not even telling you to go over to a table. They just let you take it aboard at the ports. We had friends bring on rum in Barbados and we brought on rum in St. Martin and no one said anything. They just let you take it to your cabin. We thought it was really weird in Barbados since it was only the halfway point of the cruise. We did see them taking liquor from people at check in though.

Here's the official policy, per the Celebrity website:

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you at the beginning of the cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25. The only exception to this policy is on our "Wine Cruises," which depart on the following dates:

• Celebrity Solstice: May 6, 2013, and Sept. 13, 2013

On the sail dates above, those who book a company-sponsored winery tour are permitted to bring two bottles of wine from the winery onboard per stateroom on the day of the tour. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle will be subject to a $25 corkage fee.

If you receive a bottle of wine that was purchased from our Bon Voyage Gift selection, no corkage fee will apply if the bottle is enjoyed in the dining room or any public area. If you receive a bottle from an outside vendor and/or travel agent, and the bottle was not purchased through our Bon Voyage selection, then a $25 corkage fee per bottle will apply if you wish to enjoy the wine in the dining room or any other public area. The fee will be applied to your onboard account.

Alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored onboard and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

We were on a Wine cruise in October. We only took private tours and were able to bring wine on board at every port. There were never any questions asked. On some of the cruises they did hold the Port wine but we were able to bring ours to our cabin.

The Celebrity website says "

Q: Can I bring alcoholic beverages on board?

A: No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you at the beginning of the cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25. The only exception to this policy is on our "Wine Cruises," which depart on the following dates:

• Celebrity Solstice: May 6, 2013, and Sept. 13, 2013"

Notice that the size of the bottle is not stated. On a recent Panama Canal cruise, on the Constellation, we brought aboard two large 1.5 litre bottles with no objection from the cruiseline.

You can bring two 750 ml bottles of wine on board in your carry on. That's per cabin, not per person.

See post 33. It is stated. Just not where you looked.

I see what post 33 says but when I search the Celebrity website I do not find what is in post 33. Do you have a link to it or is it possibly old information.

In any case, as I said, we brought aboard two large 1.5 litre bottles with no objections.

Today in Fort Lauderdale there was a large sign at security checkpoint stating the 750 ml per bottle rule, and a long line of passengers turning over their large bottles of wine (as well as bottles of vodka, six packs of beer, and irons and steamers and kettles. That line was the longest line I saw at check in

[quote name='cruisestitch']Today in Fort Lauderdale there was a large sign at security checkpoint stating the 750 ml per bottle rule, and a long line of passengers turning over their large bottles of wine (as well as bottles of vodka, six packs of beer, and irons and steamers and kettles. That line was the longest line I saw at check in[/quote]

Celebrity must be cracking down in U.S. ports. I was turned away for having more than 2 bottles of wine in Bayonne last year. Never had a problem in the past during embarkation. European ports seem so far to be OK. Maybe it's some agreement Celebrity and the European countries have in effect.

Next thing you know, they will be strip searching everyone's luggage looking for rum runners. :rolleyes:

In April, I will be boarding the Millennium in Shanghai, China. While Celebrity may not crack down there, I am not so sure that I can purchase a large bottle and no matter, it may be expensive compared to US prices, given that the Chinese import all of their drinkable wine.

Holland America doesn't have these draconian rules. You can bring wine aboard at every port and size isn't an issue. There policy reads this way and that has been my experience with HAL.

[quote name='Wine-O']Celebrity must be cracking down in U.S. ports. I was turned away for having more than 2 bottles of wine in Bayonne last year. Never had a problem in the past during embarkation. European ports seem so far to be OK. Maybe it's some agreement Celebrity and the European countries have in effect...[/quote]

About this 2-bottles per state room limit....
What if the Missus and I do not go on board together, I mean right behind each other?
We leave, say 10 people between us.
The first check point does the card scan and registers passenger details.
Then there is a short way to the X-ray sanners and metal detectors (or the other way around). Anyway, different staff looks at the passenger details and the bags we send thru the machines. So how would the bag checker know which cabin we belong to?
Especially on a busy boarding day, they will surely have greater worries than busting a bottle carrier?
:)

[quote name='buchhalm']About this 2-bottles per state room limit....
What if the Missus and I do not go on board together, I mean right behind each other?
We leave, say 10 people between us.
The first check point does the card scan and registers passenger details.
Then there is a short way to the X-ray sanners and metal detectors (or the other way around). Anyway, different staff looks at the passenger details and the bags we send thru the machines. So how would the bag checker know which cabin we belong to?
Especially on a busy boarding day, they will surely have greater worries than busting a bottle carrier?
:)[/QUOTE]

Oh, and one more thing.
With the new scraw-cap bottles, who says that you can't replace the wine with something stronger? Unlikely they will check every bottle that gets scanned.
Nearly all traditional bottles with a cork have also a foil cap. Many European wines that now have the twist top do ALSO have a oil cap over the bottle neck. This can be jiggled off, completely intact, easily enough. Drink the wine, rinse the bottle, replace the wine with your favourite beverage, put the twist top back on, slide the foil cap back on.....
;)

I'm just happy that Celebrity allows us to bring two bottles of wine onboard. The ability to enjoy a few glasses on the balcony over the first couple of days doesn't determine how much money I spend on other drinks throughout the cruise, but it sure is relaxing. I doubt I would ever get a glass of wine delivered to the room, so I truly appreciate this perk. Too bad Celebrity's sister company (Nickel & Dime of the seas) hasn't grasped the significance of happy customers.

[quote name='Canusa02']I'm just happy that Celebrity allows us to bring two bottles of wine onboard. The ability to enjoy a few glasses on the balcony over the first couple of days doesn't determine how much money I spend on other drinks throughout the cruise, but it sure is relaxing. I doubt I would ever get a glass of wine delivered to the room, so I truly appreciate this perk. Too bad Celebrity's sister company (Nickel & Dime of the seas) hasn't grasped the significance of happy customers.[/quote]

I thought I read somewhere that Royal Caribbean now lets you bring wine on board.

[quote name='Canusa02']I'm just happy that Celebrity allows us to bring two bottles of wine onboard. The ability to enjoy a few glasses on the balcony over the first couple of days doesn't determine how much money I spend on other drinks throughout the cruise, but it sure is relaxing. I doubt I would ever get a glass of wine delivered to the room, so I truly appreciate this perk. [COLOR="Red"]Too bad Celebrity's sister company (Nickel & Dime of the seas) hasn't grasped the significance of happy customers[/COLOR].[/QUOTE]

If this is a reference to Royal Caribbean, they do allow 2 bottles of wine per stateroom.

I see no real difference on the Celebrity “extras” and the RCCL “extras”. On Celebrity (like RCCL) I believe I pay extra ( or is that “Nickel and Dime”) for, at least, alcohol drinks, wine bar, specialty coffee, spa, soda, laundry, dry cleaning, specially restaurants, premium ice cream, internet. Pretty much the same as RCCL. Oh - Actually RCCL gives us each a coupon for 2 photos each cruise, but Celebrity charges me – or is it “Nickel and Dime”

Personably I like not being charged to subsidize the purchases of others.

M

Archived