Ships with dark blue hulls...

Bourne in 64

After spending a week on the Zaandam to the Mexican Riviera I can say I was quite pleased with every aspect of the ship from the outstanding crew, its condition, and the quality of the food which I consumed far too much of.

I read so many reviews with so many varying opinions that I went aboard with low expectations. Now, being new to cruising (only my second) I may be a little less picky but the one thing I have learned is that everyone has an opinion and some people are going to make mountains out of mole hills. Cruising is no different.

I heard she is scheduled to go into drydock soon? She is showing signs of being exposed to the harsh elements of saltwater and time, but really! She's in very good shape for her age!

I don't know if this is a no-no but if it is someone please let me know - I have posted links to two albums on my flickr account of the trip and the ship. I'm still learning this website and will likely post them here when I get time to figure that out. I'm sure the mods will let me know! :o

I have started a full review and will post soon. While I may owe it to myself to try out other lines (now that this will become a yearly ritual) I really can't see myself sailing on any ship that doesn't have a dark blue hull :)

Ship Photos

Cruise Photos

Howard

I don't know if this is a no-no but if it is someone please let me know - I have posted links to two albums on my flickr account of the trip and the ship. I'm still learning this website and will likely post them here when I get time to figure that out. I'm sure the mods will let me know! :o

I have started a full review and will post soon. While I may owe it to myself to try out other lines (now that this will become a yearly ritual) I really can't see myself sailing on any ship that doesn't have a dark blue hull :)

Howard

No worries. Unless there's something very unusual, posting a link to a site of your own is not a problem on cruise critic.

I was in the same position as you just over a year ago, and I found a few flaws with the Zaandam, but nothing that meant much in comparison with the excellent crew.

I would suggest you try other cruise lines some time. You might find one you really like. A cruise cannot really be too bad and if another line doesn't measure up you'll have a greater appreciation of HAL next time you're on one of their ships.

Roy

Thanks for the pictures. We have only sailed the Noordam(our third time will be next week), but anticipate sailing other HAL ships in the future. My SIL and her partner were on your cruise and also gave glowing reviews of the ship and itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice photos! The Zaandam looks sooo much better than the last time I was on her, and love the new carpets. The re-fit was obviously successful.

The only carpet that I saw that needing replacement are at the base of the stairs at all three stairwell locations, adjacent to the elevators on all decks. (The light red colored carpet)

Bourne in 64: Howard, Thanks for posting your great pictures. Nice to see the Zaandam again. Happy to see new pillows, drapes & curtains in the cabins and the new carpet throughout. Can't wait to board her on April 6/13. Do you recall the names of the bar tenders in the Crow's Nest and Ocean Bar?:)

Bourne in 64: Howard, Thanks for posting your great pictures. Nice to see the Zaandam again. Happy to see new pillows, drapes & curtains in the cabins and the new carpet throughout. Can't wait to board her on April 6/13. Do you recall the names of the bar tenders in the Crow's Nest and Ocean Bar?:)

I was only at the Ocean bar once, but I spent quite a bit of time in the Crow's nest..:o

I knew the staff (and they knew me) but there were so many names of crew and new friends on board I couldn't keep them all straight. Sorry! I kept a journal of the trip and for my next cruise I'll make note of crew names. Bam and Bo were taking great care of me in my stateroom though!!

We also went on a HAL Mexican Riviera cruise with reduced expectations, and like you we were pleasantly surprised. I would do it again, though only if HAL offers three port stops again.

igraf

After spending a week on the Zaandam to the Mexican Riviera I can say I was quite pleased with every aspect of the ship from the outstanding crew, its condition, and the quality of the food which I consumed far too much of.

I read so many reviews with so many varying opinions that I went aboard with low expectations. ...Howard

Archived