Disembarkation in Vancouver

cutetrill

The Island Princess is arriving in Vancouver at 7:30am. We have a bus to Seattle to catch at 9am. What's the earliest we're going to be able to get off the ship? I know we'll probably have to use self walk off, which is fine. You think we'll be able to make it to the bus station for 8:30?

If you are catching a flight from seattle i strongly recommend the princess transfer. It is much easier and fasgter going through the border. You don't usually have to get of the bus where with quick coach you do.

If you are catching a flight from seattle i strongly recommend the princess transfer. It is much easier and fasgter going through the border. You don't usually have to get of the bus where with quick coach you do.

Yeah, but it's also twice as much as what I'm paying. I don't mind getting off the bus (which will also allow me to stretch my legs) to save a bunch of money.

Also, I'm using Amtrak, not quick coach.

The last time we were in Vancouver the Star was late getting in by at least 2 hours. We were late leaving for Alaska. The reason given was rough weather coming up north that slowed the ship down.

The last time we were in Vancouver the Star was late getting in by at least 2 hours. We were late leaving for Alaska. The reason given was rough weather coming up north that slowed the ship down.

What month were you on the Star when it was late getting into Vancouver? Thanks

What bus station are you trying to get to? Is it the one at the train station? For Vancouver the ship has to clear, then all the passengers have to go through Canadian immigration, then you find your luggage and make your way out of the terminal. Bus station for 8:30 will be tight if everything goes like clockwork

Are you flying our of Seattle? If so you need to use the Princess transfer. It will take you through the border customs and you want have to leave the bus. It drops you off at Gate 00 (yes 00) at the airport. The ship will schedule you onto your bus based on your flight departure. We do this all the time and will be doing it in June.

Previous Cruises

Island Princess – 2008 Alaska

Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)

Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Upcoming Cruises

Crown Princes – 2013 Western Caribbean

Island Princess – 2013 Alaska

Caribbean Princess – 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

If you can't afford the Princess transfer from Vancouver to Seattle then how did you have the money to cruise. It's not that MUCH.....

Previous Cruises

Island Princess – 2008 Alaska

Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)

Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Upcoming Cruises

Crown Princes – 2013 Western Caribbean

Island Princess – 2013 Alaska

Caribbean Princess – 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

There never is a guarantee that things will move smoothly when departing in a foreign port. I do know that there are buses leaving the AMTRAK station throughout the day. If you cannot catch the one of your choice, perhaps the one after? I don't blame you for wanting to save on the $$. It is such a bargain and well worth it if all things fall into place and there is no reason not to expect it to. Good luck and enjoy your bus ride. I've taken the train (later in the day) and it was really enjoyable and oddly enough, took longer than the bus.

Would be nice if people would just read and understand the OP's question.

All they wanted to know is if the ship arrives by 7:30 could he catch a 9 AM bus. He said nothing abut flying or taking the Princess transfer. And then people wonder why others do not post here. By now they have found out if they can make it or not. C'mon folks let us help people not confuse the heck out of them.

In my Opinion...

Being at the Pacific Central station for ~~8;30am to board the Ambus to Seattle leaving at 9;00am is quite risky. From clearance of the vessel by the various authorities, to Canadian Customs processing, to finding your luggage, to make your way to the taxi lines....all of that to be IN the taxi ready to go by 8;15am ??? Hardly possible ( not only do I live nearby, but I also have worked for one of the shoreside companies...so have a pretty good idea of what happens on a normal disembarkation....let alone one where ''stuff happens''...).

two suggestions;

1/if you're the gambling type and really want to avoid paying the Princess transfers, walk off with your own luggage ,having insisted on the earliest possible ''walk off with luggage'' disembarkation time slot. Hope the ship is cleared by latest ~~ 7;20am and that you get to the taxi line within an hour . Then, you'll be OK.

2/ Compare the cost of the cab to Ambus ( ~~ C$12.00 ) plus the stress and potential downsides of your plan, plus the cost of a cab from Amtrak Seattle station to Sea-Tac.....VS a guaranteed Princess transfer , one cost, no worries about your luggage, bus assignement based on your flight details ex Sea-Tac and leaving right from inside our terminal venue, no cabs, a high potential of not even having to get off at the US Border for C&BP processing ( the Ambus does stop and passengers have to go in and back out after processing, including luggage, and you hope nobody on board has Visa or other paperworks issues which delay the entire bus...),and dropped right at Sea=Tac....

I suggest this, at the end of the day, would be quite a bit more practical and not at all that different, total costs-wise.

This is only a suggestion from somebody who has been on both sides of the equation, have used Ambus & Amtrak, have used a NCL transfer , etc...

Good luck and happy sailing.

The Island Princess is arriving in Vancouver at 7:30am. We have a bus to Seattle to catch at 9am. What's the earliest we're going to be able to get off the ship? I know we'll probably have to use self walk off, which is fine. You think we'll be able to make it to the bus station for 8:30?

Probably not.

Also, if you do have to catch a flight in Seattle (you do not indicate this in your post) it better be later in the day. The bus trip from Vancouver to Seattle is anywhere from 3.5 to 4 hours incl. the stop at the border and that is if nothing goes wrong.

Theo.

Look. No one has still answered my question. I am not paying to take a princess transfer when I can save 80 dollars. Yes, maybe to you that's not a lot of dollars, and for your convienence you'd rather just take it. But I'm putting that $80 towards **** on the cruise instead of transportation to it. Get over it. Also, my flight out of Seattle (seeing as how you now apparently think I'm inept and don't know how long the bus trip will take) is at 10:20pm. We're spending the day in Seattle, which is why I want to get on an early bus. To maximize my time there. So therefor, I don't need or want a bus that directly goes to Sea-Tac.

Now, if someone could answer me, exactly what time the first people are allowed off the ship? If it says we get in at 7:30, does that mean the ship gets in at 7, and customs is cleared and then everyone starts disembarking at 7:30? Or do they start letting people off more towards 8? And also, exactly how long does it take to go through customs? We're carrying our own bags off so there's no need to find them ourselves. So 10min? 20? 30?

ok when i de-barked in vancouver on the star it anything but organized...every other part of the cruise was wonderful except getting OFF the ship....they had everyone crammed in the dining rooms and as soon as they opened the doors to leave the ship...it was a free for all...no orderly lines...nada....everybody for themselves.

What month were you on the Star when it was late getting into Vancouver? Thanks

It was the same month but last year. Boy was there a line waiting to get on her for the next trip. For the OP I really don't think anyone can give you an exact answer. Each trip is different but from what has been answered you get some ideas.

For people not taking any ship transportation, it is a mess of humanity

and luggage at the terminal. We saw people all over the street lugging luggage and waiting for cabs. Not telling you to take a bus with Princess,

but we were greatful not being on our own. Friends that didn't have Princess transportation told us it took hours to get out of the terminal and on their way.

I would strongly recommend you doing a walk off with your lugggage to get an early start.Our ship last April let us off about 7:30AM.

We arrived in Seattle at 1:00PM. Our luggage was with us on the bus, didn't have to claim in the terminal at all before boarding the bus, Princess had it loaded already.

At the Boarder, other buses were being offloaded with passengers and all the luggage. Our bus was sealed, and no need to do either.

Look. No one has still answered my question. I am not paying to take a princess transfer when I can save 80 dollars. Yes, maybe to you that's not a lot of dollars, and for your convienence you'd rather just take it. But I'm putting that $80 towards **** on the cruise instead of transportation to it. Get over it. Also, my flight out of Seattle (seeing as how you now apparently think I'm inept and don't know how long the bus trip will take) is at 10:20pm. We're spending the day in Seattle, which is why I want to get on an early bus. To maximize my time there. So therefor, I don't need or want a bus that directly goes to Sea-Tac.

Now, if someone could answer me, exactly what time the first people are allowed off the ship? If it says we get in at 7:30, does that mean the ship gets in at 7, and customs is cleared and then everyone starts disembarking at 7:30? Or do they start letting people off more towards 8? And also, exactly how long does it take to go through customs? We're carrying our own bags off so there's no need to find them ourselves. So 10min? 20? 30?

There is no exact answer. It depends on how many other ships are in, whether there are delays due clearance of vessel, etc., etc. However, I can say that if the cruise line says you will arrive at 7:30, it means that's the time they expect to dock (although it may be earlier), not when you get off.

Our experience on another ship.

Scheduled arrival in Vancouver was 7:30 AM. Ship was at the dock by 7 AM.

First walk-off group was scheduled to meet at 7:30 AM.

I do not know what time they actually walked off.

I would assume the first walkoff group would not have a long wait at customs.

Thank you Carabill and Ell52. Those were the responses I was looking for. I think I will keep the bus the way it is, but call up Amtrak and make sure that if for some crazy reason we miss the first bus, we can just switch to the 11am one. Thank you again.

You're welcome.

Theo

Thank you Carabill and Ell52. Those were the responses I was looking for. I think I will keep the bus the way it is, but call up Amtrak and make sure that if for some crazy reason we miss the first bus, we can just switch to the 11am one. Thank you again.

That would be my suggestion. I think this link might help. Forgive me if I am wrong.

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/refundpolicy.htm

Archived