awful suite

Joe Dandy

The cabin steward/housekeeping would have known if damage was being done to the cabin,,,,, wouldn't they?

You would think that they steward would have seen it and reported it, but I do remember about a year ago a CC member posting a photo of one of the Penthouse Walls being severly marked (TYhink it was scratched into.) And apparently no one had noticed until that CC member took a photo of it and then brought it to the attention of the powers that be, and here on CC.

Joanie

Do we keelhaul the parents or the kids?:confused:

They all along with the Security who blew the incidents and complaints off should be keel hauled and then the entirte family should have been put off at the next port of call under police supervision. And the Security Officer who blew it off should be demoted (if that is possible)

No excuse for any of them.

Joanie

If I had to have this kind of situation and no one reacted to my complains, I would take a pillow and some blankets and lay myself down on the front desk so I could catch sleep there... I've done it in a Hotel once during spring break in Daytona Beach, this is a pacific way to make sure someone listen to your side of the story.

Some parents in USA believe that because they pay for their kids on a cruise, they have the right to let them loose and they think their kids can do wathever they want there, they just want to have quiet time in another room...

<snip>

Think about this scenario: lots and lots of noise and banging and screaming at all hours in the cabin next door, you report it but Security and other onboard staff treat the issue rather casually and act as tho you are the crank, at some point a tragedy befalls your neighbors (it could be anything from the kids getting seriously injured during their rough-housing to them finishing off the no-host mini-bar and having a terrible accident, like going overboard) ... I would think HAL would have more than a little responsibility in the outcome because (1) they apparently, contrary to their stated policy, do permit minors alone in cabins and (2) other passenger concerns/complaints were treated dismissively.

As for the raucous behaviors reported by a couple of people here ... perhaps the ill-behaved children, and their poorly supervising parents, are relatives of highly-placed Seattle or onboard personnel. Ergo, they're entitled to do as they wish and everyone else has to put up with it.

Wow, that's a leap.

Unless I missed it, I saw no hint in anything the OP wrote that would indicate anything about highly-placed Seattle or onboard personnel. I think that an unfair statement regarding both categories of HAL personnel.

JMO........

We had a suite on the Noordam. It was a great cabin but unfortunately next to us were 3 boys ages about 10 12 and 14. Their mother put them in a suite while according to Hollands manager the mother made other sleeping arrangements. So for 9 nights we heard screaming wrestling and loud TV into the early morning hours. I would call security and it would stop. Also they threw apples and knives overboard and who knows what else. I told security and was told by the 10 year old "Thanks for ratting on us." Holland did nothing to get this mother back to this cabin. Holland also made no apology to us. I wrote to Holland and still have not received a response.

If I had to have this kind of situation and no one reacted to my complains, I would take a pillow and some blankets and lay myself down on the front desk so I could catch sleep there... I've done it in a Hotel once during spring break in Daytona Beach, this is a pacific way to make sure someone listen to your side of the story.

Some parents in USA believe that because they pay for their kids on a cruise, they have the right to let them loose and they think their kids can do wathever they want there, they just want to have quiet time in another room...

I have to really be missing lots of info that others seem to be reading and I'm not seeing.

Did OP mention the fine young gents were from U.S.A.?

I would wait until I got home from my cruise and then post on a site where there are other posters.......

um, what was the question again????

Actually I wouldn't talk to the kids at all. Front desk, security and Master of the Vessel or Captain with a journal kept. I would be writing the journal parts in front of the staff and crew and asking how to spell their name as I was printing it into the book.

Go to the top and take names all the way along.

Wow, that's a leap.

Unless I missed it, I saw no hint in anything the OP wrote that would indicate anything about highly-placed Seattle or onboard personnel. I think that an unfair statement regarding both categories of HAL personnel.

JMO........

Perhaps a leap ... but I couldn't figure many other reasons why onboard people didn't feel compelled to deal assertively with the loud and obnoxious kids and, at the same time, seemed to expect other fare-paying guests to put up with all the disturbance. The OP wasn't the only one who commented here about poorly handled/resolved noise issues... who knows who the people were, but HAL seems reluctant to handle the situations in a manner that might hack off the offenders.

We had a suite on the Noordam. It was a great cabin but unfortunately next to us were 3 boys ages about 10 12 and 14. Their mother put them in a suite while according to Hollands manager the mother made other sleeping arrangements. So for 9 nights we heard screaming wrestling and loud TV into the early morning hours. I would call security and it would stop. Also they threw apples and knives overboard and who knows what else. I told security and was told by the 10 year old "Thanks for ratting on us." Holland did nothing to get this mother back to this cabin. Holland also made no apology to us. I wrote to Holland and still have not received a response.

Did you happen to discuss your unhappy situation with the Neptune Lounge staff? On the Westerdam I found them to be very serious about passenger satisfaction.

The cabin steward/housekeeping would have known if damage was being done to the cabin,,,,, wouldn't they?

Sail - I would think, but the point is that after I complained. NO more noise!

Who knows the noises coming out of that cabin before I complained, there could have been a demolition crew in there!

[quote name='Wakepatrol;

Front desk surely knew who these children were traveling with. Go to "MOM" and pull her into this situation inwhich she should be watching anyhow.

I just don't understand how any parent would leave their children to their own devices and turn a deaf ear.

Kids will be kids' date=' thats fine with me, just not on my cruise that I have come on to relax. Don't leave your precious little darlings next to me and ruin my vacation![/size']

Carnival or RC would have been a better option. There is no entertainment on HA for these type of kids. If you have low keyed kid yes, but not high strung, unsupervised "darlings":rolleyes:.

This is the exact situation that gives the rest of us travelling families a bad wrap. No wonder I get such dirty looks.

I am very sorry for the OP. This would ruin my vacation as well. Speaking for myself only, I could never sleep in another cabin from my kids unless there was an indoor adjoining door that was left open.

I just learned the Prisendam is an option for us. I always thought children were no allowed. I had not looked into it but made that assumption so I was surprised when someone posted that there were children on their cruise last summer. But, "rest" assured, DD and I would be in one cabin and DH and DS right next door. There is no way the kids would sleep in a cabin alone.

It takes a lot of work to have well behaved kids. I always say I have to parent to the lest-parented kid in the class. If I hear "but XX's mum let him do it" one more time....:eek::p!

This is the exact situation that gives the rest of us travelling families a bad wrap. No wonder I get such dirty looks.

I am very sorry for the OP. This would ruin my vacation as well. Speaking for myself only, I could never sleep in another cabin from my kids unless there was an indoor adjoining door that was left open.

I just learned the Prisendam is an option for us. I always thought children were no allowed. I had not looked into it but made that assumption so I was surprised when someone posted that there were children on their cruise last summer. But, "rest" assured, DD and I would be in one cabin and DH and DS right next door. There is no way the kids would sleep in a cabin alone.

It takes a lot of work to have well behaved kids. I always say I have to parent to the lest-parented kid in the class. If I hear "but XX's mum let him do it" one more time....:eek::p!

Gail - children are definitely allowed on the Prinsendam - there just usually aren't very many or any (probably because of the longer itineraries:D

we had a horrid time at night on a Carnival ship on Southern Atlantic cruise out of San Juan. A whole senior graduating class with very few adults supervising. They ran and screamed around the ship at night and drank mixed drinks. They slept until noon and then jumped and screamed around the pool all afternoon. They never got off at a port. Never sail Carnival again!

Few yrs later Carnival Corp announced that teens under 18 need an adult in the room or in a connecting room.

I rather doubt Disney would let the cuties get away with this.

I'm sorry this happened to you and HAL should have done something to correct the issue. I couldn't have handled it.

I have to wonder about the mother. Who would leave 3 unruly boys alone in a cabin with a balcony? It's surprising that one of them didn't go overboard.

If the kids were in a suite, where was the mother (parents?) staying... the penthouse? :eek:

That is what I mean when I said those brats gave your children and others who are VERY well behaved such a horrible name of , "BAD KIDS/BRATS," when in fact they are not even given an opportunity to show that not all kids are rotten and brats!!

Parents such as the ones on the OPs cruise are usually so blind to their brats crappy behavior that they cannot/will not see what is in front of them:( Those same parents are the ones who cannot understand why their kids are always being picked on by Law Enforcement and always say, "Not my Child!! My son or daughter would NEVER do that.":(

And the kids who are good, respectful and well behaved are grouped together with the bad "seeds" even though they are not!!

Gail, and all other parents, guardians, grandparents etc, of Good Kids, I am so sorry that you will always be looked upon with frowns and possibly more, because of those so very very few brats such as the OP experienced:(

An aside question for ya Gail...Is Ian still trying to catch snowflakes??:)

Joanie

So far not a word from Holland

How long has it been since the cruise ended and you communicated with HAL? I wrote HAL to complain about an issue with an excursion that wasn't resolved on board and heard back from someone in the Office of the President about two weeks later.

We have been lucky to never run into misbehaving children on HAL, any that we've met have been well behaved and polite. Most of the time you rarely notice there are children on board unless you're by the Lido pool. People don't complain about well behaved children.

I agree but still would love it if Hal or some other lines had some adult only cruise, we did one in 2001 and just loved it.

While we have not had many incidents of brats on board on HAL or any other cruise line, we did have two boys on our floor who would stop an elevator, push all the buttons and then do it to the next elevator and so on. Took forever to get anywhere.

My husband threatened them that he would tell the authorities on the ship and it stopped.

Not nearly as bad as the OP experienced. What about the stuff the kids threw overboard, was that not told to the front desk? That is their property and they are fouling the ocean.

In the past we would do 4 or 5 cruises then a adult only AI, I think now we will be doing more Adult AI such as Sandalls

Why stop cruising because you heard one or two reports of problems with kids?

If you heard of drunken loud adult partyers at the AI, would you leave them, also?

I'm not being brass but there is no guarantee of serenity and quiet, peaceful enjoyment anywhere.

Archived