Is it still a good idea to book Carnival? (consider malfunctions)

Hi guys,

I've been on Carnival twice previously and was planning to perhaps book 2 short Carnival cruises for next year. Do you think it'd still be a good/safe idea to do so even after hearing about all of the problems that they're having with the ships recently? :confused:

Not meant to be snarky but could be taken that way.

Is it OK to buy a Ford, Chevy, Buick, Toyota or Nissan? They've all had massive recalls for maintenance or safety issues.

I remember when there was a massive e-coli break out reported from a fast food chain. Two nights later we had a major power outage. Drove around to find a place to eat and everything was very busy with lines out the door. I headed to the fast food joint. No lines at all. I figured, what the hell, this is probably the cleanest place in town after what they've gone thru.

Its the same ships you were on before and happy, so just because there were some problems I dont know why you would hesitate. Hopefully if nothing else they will step up maintenance and it will be even better than what you had before?

Its the same ships you were on before and happy, so just because there were some problems I dont know why you would hesitate. Hopefully if nothing else they will step up maintenance and it will be even better than what you had before?

Exactly. They're in a best behavior mode right now. If they're smart, this may be the safest time to cruise.

Personally, I feel like it should be taken into account...

Say cruise line A has had NO recent maintenance/propulsion issues BUT cruise line B HAS had these issues lately. IMO it's a no-brainer to pick cruise line A, at least for the short term....say for a year giving time for any and all issues to be sorted out and rectified. It is really in ones best interest to go with the info they have at hand RIGHT NOW.

You're asking the question in the wrong forum. These folks are probably all booked on Carnival cruises, that's why they're here reading your post. None of them are going to say it's a bad idea.

What you need to do is pop over to Royal Caribbean's forum and ask the same question. You just may find some folks who have switched brands or you may find the same attitude as here, but at least it'll be less biased and more informative.

Hi guys,

I've been on Carnival twice previously and was planning to perhaps book 2 short Carnival cruises for next year. Do you think it'd still be a good/safe idea to do so even after hearing about all of the problems that they're having with the ships recently? :confused:

Terrible idea/very unsafe... Plus, like 50% chance your ship would break down and you would die in a pile of your fellow shipmates' feces. (like all those poor souls who are no longer with us from the Triumph and the Dream and the Legend)... Exactly why my next cruise is on the Allure of the Seas in August... I refuse to board a CCL ship, its a cesspool and basically calling a CCL ship a prison, is an insult to prisons and inmates (as inmates are better behaved than CCL passengers, and probably have less felonies).

Anyway, would you rather go 5nights out of Jax or 4nights out of PC (with a night in the Cape)? Itineraries are similar... looking for sometime between September and December. Can't wait for my CCL trip this fall.

We are scheduled to sail on Ecstasy next week and I am hoping for some excitement.

I just read today that one of the ships Carnival is having propulsion problems with is the Ecstasy. Imagine the story you have for a lifetime if anything happened.

I've been on 134 cruises and for the most part they been routine and with that many cruises few are really memorable. Imagine the story I would be able to tell if I was stranded at sea even for a few days. I can't wait.

My take is that it probably best to book in the near future as .....there should be reduced and incentive fares to keep bookings up ......and they will be montoring equipment more closely to ensure breakdowns do not continue.

I was just hoping for advice guys, no need to get upset :/ (some of these comments)

I was planning to book them any how, i was just wondering what you guys thought about it. :(

Hi Sarah..I understand.

My take is that it probably best to book in the near future as .....there should be reduced and incentive fares to keep bookings up ......and they will be montoring equipment more closely to ensure breakdowns do not continue.

After going back and forth in my own mind and really thinking about what did not happen on the emergencies and reading some good engineer's comments...I tend to agree with this post and think they will work on all things to bring it to the good budget choice it is/was...I bet even food quality delivery/service goes back up to where some feel it was lost due to cutting staff and quality.

Happy Affordable Cruises to you Sarah,,,,

From a fellow Sarah:)

Yes, I'd say it's still a good idea. Vacations are great, vacations on cruise ships even better.

No one can tell you that any particular cruise is going to be perfect, no matter what time you take it, where you go, or what line you use. Just like no one call tell you for sure that your plane won't have mechanical issues or your hotel won't have a fire. Could there be more problems on Carnival? Yes. There could be more mechanical issues, fires, missed ports, etc., but those same things could happen (and have happened) on any line.

Personally, I feel like it should be taken into account...

Say cruise line A has had NO recent maintenance/propulsion issues BUT cruise line B HAS had these issues lately. IMO it's a no-brainer to pick cruise line A, at least for the short term....say for a year giving time for any and all issues to be sorted out and rectified. It is really in ones best interest to go with the info they have at hand RIGHT NOW.

THe only problem with that thinlking is if it had not been for the Triumph, the other issues would never had been heard of. Case in point Regent of the Seas which is owned by NCL has have 7 propolision issues on its 3 ships since the first of the year. Granted all minor like on the legand, but still very few have heard about them. So unless you are prepared to contact each cruise line and ask for their maintance records, noway of knowing what issues they have had.

I was just hoping for advice guys, no need to get upset :/ (some of these comments)

I was planning to book them any how, i was just wondering what you guys thought about it. :(

We were in the same position as you. We were planning on the Liberty in June and had held off booking due to work schedules and then the mess happened last week. I started looking into other vacations and other cruiselines. I did end up booking the Liberty on Monday with the past guest rate.

We have sailed the Liberty before--pre 2.0 upgrades and really enjoyed the ship and we like the itinerary. It does cross my mind that something could happen and it could be taken out of service for maintenance, but I don't focus on it or worry about it.

It has been eye-opening to see how people here have responded to questions regarding safety, disruption of service, etc. Due to recent events, some of the questions were legitimate and understandable. They were essentially ridiculed and made to feel ridiculous for even asking a question or questioning CCL. On the flip side, some people post ridiculous stuff just to bash CCL and that's not helpful either.

I don't know if we will book another CCL cruise after this summer for awhile. Contrary to popular belief, there does seem to be issues with how they have handled the maintnance of their ships, at least to the random cruiser(me) who isn't fiercely loyal to one cruiseline. They are having some serious PR issues and appear to be playing catchup to make things right.

With that said, if you like the ship/itinerary, book it! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!:)

THe only problem with that thinlking is if it had not been for the Triumph, the other issues would never had been heard of. Case in point Regent of the Seas which is owned by NCL has have 7 propolision issues on its 3 ships since the first of the year. Granted all minor like on the legand, but still very few have heard about them. So unless you are prepared to contact each cruise line and ask for their maintance records, noway of knowing what issues they have had.

Exactly. All the cruise lines have the same minor issues. Yes, Triumph was unique and wildly overblown by the media of course. As said, if it weren't for the Triumph incident, you would have never heard about the other ships issues. Happens all the time.

Now if the coffee pot on the Lido deck stops working on a CCL ship, CNN's going to report it.

You've got a lot of nerve trying to engage in discussion on a discussion board. We don't have time for that kind of nonsense.

:)

We have taken fourteen cruises and have two booked. We have made it to every port on every itinerary so far. I don’t if we are lucky are that is the norm.

Airlines cancel thousands of flights every year due to bad weather and having some model of plane grounded for repairs.

I think that the customer service people on the phones at Carnival do a good job. They are not the cause of delays or cancelations.

Archived