Fan ban on the Allure

We use a fan at home but I was planning on bringing a white noise machine. Is that considered a small electrical appliance? My husband has tinnitus and has found the phone apps to be too high-pitched.

We use a fan at home but I was planning on bringing a white noise machine. Is that considered a small electrical appliance? My husband has tinnitus and has found the phone apps to be too high-pitched.

I had a sound machine with me too and it was not taken. We stayed with my brother after the cruise and he has ceiling fans. :p. Used the sound machine at his house.

Just got off Allure on Feb 24 and had no issues with taking my fan onboard, for what it's worth. Or, the Oasis after that;).

Did you bring it on in checked luggage or carryon?

Wish mine hadn't been taken it was in checked luggage.

Glad yours made it through.

Once was in carry on and other time in checked luggage. So, no help here. I do think it was the Sprite that caused all the problems to begin with and if you had carried it on, I bet the fan would have been fine. I carried on diet tonic water and that had to be carefully inspected and fan in luggage that came without a problem...Mostly I have fan in carry-on though, 9 out of 10 times;)

Once was in carry on and other time in checked luggage. So, no help here. I do think it was the Sprite that caused all the problems to begin with and if you had carried it on, I bet the fan would have been fine. I carried on diet tonic water and that had to be carefully inspected and fan in luggage that came without a problem...Mostly I have fan in carry-on though, 9 out of 10 times;)

I never check my carry on. I just didn't want the hassle of pulling it around until our room was ready on such a large ship. I won't be checking the carry on on the Raidiance :)

Happy sailing to you.

Sweet of you to relply, but the cabin was checked out to be sure that everything was fine. Also, when I called guest relations they checked the board to be sure the balcony door light wasn't on. It wasn't so the door was closed properly.

I just think they were saving power in the middle of the night. You could hang meat in it during the day.

is there a movement sensor?

so that when there is no movement, the A/C turns off?

that's true in some hotels...(most of the disney hotels for example).

i use a helium balloon in disney hotels to keep the A/C on..

it works.. :)

• 5 weeks later...
I hope it is ok to bring on a plug-in sound machine. I can't sleep without it!

There was a sound machine in the carry on too. They had no problem with it and let me take it to the cabin along with the two small bottles of sprite.

I would be sure not to put it in with liquids like I did. I don't know what I was thinking when I checked my carry on.

I have taken the sound machine as well as a fan in the past. Probably 20 cruises with no problems. Just guess it wasn't my luck day.

I feel your pain about the not being able to sleep. Hubby is a sleep in just a few minutes :rolleyes:

When our cabin steward found out the fan had been confiscated he brought us a fan. I normally add several days before and after a cruise to our vacation so my fan will probably come along again. It is great to know that you can possibly get one through the ship.

Still wondering why the cabin temperature got so warm in the evenings. Hubby doesn't suffer from flashes, but even he was warm. Next cruise is in Alaska, I can open up the balcony and to heck with the ship temperature.

On the subject of hot flashes :o something I have started taking is a tincture of sage -- never heard of it before for hot flashes and can I say for me it is a miracle. We were on the Navigator in earlier this month in the Caribbean and I slept like a baby every night even with the balcony closed. I know once you get used to the breeze and noise you need the fan but if you want to try the sage I highly recommend and I rarely have such luck with these herbal remedies for anything. Happy sailing and enjoy Alaska!!!

I too have to have a fan and bought the battery powered one on Amazon and it works just fine...two speeds...but it's good to know that you can request one from special needs...I wonder what size it?

I was just thinking that the desk plug is far too away from the bed to actually keep anyone cool, if its the small fan I am invisioning. I hate that there is no plug near the beds.

I thought I was the only one who traveled with a sound machine. I have a battery operated one that was from sharper image. It's really fabulous. Too bad they are out of business.

My machine has traveled around the world and never had any problem taking it anywhere. When I go through security, I have to take it out of my carry on because otherwise it causes my luggage to be searched.

I was on allure last week, 14th floor, and our room was very warm. So was entire floor. Had it checked out a few times and improved very slightly. Got a bottle of wine sent to our room, but that didn't keep me cool!

I was just thinking that the desk plug is far too away from the bed to actually keep anyone cool, if its the small fan I am invisioning. I hate that there is no plug near the beds.

There is an outlet by the bed on the Allure.

I can understand bringing a fan for a breeze, but for white noise, apps are so much more convenient. Plus, they produce Pink noise, which is best for sleeping. Most people bring their phone or tablet anyway, so why bring one more item you don't need? Even with travel speakers, it's smaller and more lightweight than a fan.

I can understand bringing a fan for a breeze, but for white noise, apps are so much more convenient. Plus, they produce Pink noise, which is best for sleeping. Most people bring their phone or tablet anyway, so why bring one more item you don't need? Even with travel speakers, it's smaller and more lightweight than a fan.

What the heck is pink noise?

I was on Allure March 17 I also had a fan in my suitcase. I didnt recieve my bag i was told i had to go to a room on the 2nd floor where they found my fan. I told them i needed it they called a person to come check the fan out i was told the fan wasnt grounded and could cause a fire. After i was told that i replyed to him ans said a cell phone charger isnt either, I was able to keep my fan, Also they do carry fand on that ship ya just have to ask for it

We take a very inexpensive plastic fan that we got at Walmart. I think it cost between $10 - $15. If they take it, we will just get another one.

We took it on the Star Princess for 4 weeks recently, and ran it off and on during the day, and all night long for 28 nights. It saved us in the South Seas. The ship's a/c just could not keep up with the outside heat around the equator.

We turned our cabin a/c to the lowest temperature the minute we walked in at the beginning of the cruise, and it stayed there the whole time. I think the temp was pretty constant at low 70's, but the fan made it feel cooler.

My husband likes his sleeping area in the 60's all night.

The fan was brought to make a breeze and as a white noise sound. I sleep with a ceiling fan and a large lasko fan on year round. The fan drowns out all kinds of wonderful music that is created at night by snoring coming from my dear hubby and myself. I have yet found a tablet or a phone that can blow air over my body.

The boardwalk cabin was flat HOT at night. It was colder in the day than when we turned the temperature down to sleep at night.

White noise and fans seem to be needed by lots of cruisers. We all need different things to fall asleep. Some a wall to rest against. Some a soft bed, some a hard bed. For me it is the white noise(without crickets or waves).

What the heck is pink noise?

What the heck is an app?

Just kidding, but we don't have a smart phone (just stupid ones) or a tablet (except paper for writing).

I always travel with my plug in fan and white noise machine.

Archived