"LIVE" from Explorer of the Seas -April 7, 2013- Bermuda

Welikepalms,

Yes we will be on the Dawn scheduled to arrive May 12th from Boston and to depart the 14th. Kings Wharf will be free on the 12th and we can dock there at least for the 12th. Explorer of the Seas docks at Kings Wharf (like we did on the Celebrity Summit several years ago) on May 13th so we would have to vacate Kings Wharf and I am hoping that Heritage Wharf would be ready for the 13th and 14th and we could move up to there. Who knows it may be ready all three days and we would just dock as normal at HW. I sure hope we don't have to tender on the 13th and 14th but I will try to remember to come back here and update as to what happens.

Thanks for the review and looking forward to more. We were ready to book the Breakaway last week for an October Bermuda cruise but discovered that if we book the Explorer for the same date it will cost us about $1900 less for two balconies! And thanks for the heads up that the parking is cheaper in NJ vs NY.

Like another poster questioned, I am curious to hear your comparisons of the Allure vs Explorer since we sailed Allure this past October.

Have a great time in Bermuda!!

Yes, that is northbound on 440. I take this route everyday to work. You will be there within 5-10 minutes after crossing the Bayonne Bridge. Stay in your right lane.

Carol

Thank you very much!!!

I do have another question. Do you know what normal traffic conditions are coming up South Ave and then taking Forrest Ave to 440. What will the traffic be like on a Thursday morning around 9:30? Hubby will be leaving the Hampton Inn on Staten Island.

Just trying to plan on how much gas to have in the tank. Is it normally stop and go, or does the traffic normally flow fairly smoothly? The motorcycle can't have more the 1/4 tank to board the Explorer.

I live on Staten Island about 2 minutes from the hotel. It's a quick ride to port from the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. Most local traffic dies down by 9:30, it should take about 15 minutes to port. Don't get on the expressway in Staten Island - it's hit or miss with traffic. Make sure you are going over the Bayonne Bridge. From the Bayonne Bridge the ride to port is about 5 minutes - but I don't know how long the traffic line is once you are at the terminal.

Enjoy your cruise.

I live on Staten Island about 2 minutes from the hotel. It's a quick ride to port from the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. Most local traffic dies down by 9:30, it should take about 15 minutes to port. Don't get on the expressway in Staten Island - it's hit or miss with traffic. Make sure you are going over the Bayonne Bridge. From the Bayonne Bridge the ride to port is about 5 minutes - but I don't know how long the traffic line is once you are at the terminal.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you so much. Hubby is staying off the expressway. Just seems easier South Ave->Forrest Ave->440.

Planning on a great cruise!!!

Hello everyone. . . I had a great day ashore in Kings Wharf. I decided to rent a scooter at Oleanders. I seem to rent one there every time. They have multiple locations in Bermuda and their scooters are always well maintained. They also will offer good directions for those that need them.

I didn’t go far today as I wanted to stay nearby and just enjoy the dockyard.

I did go down to some beautiful beaches right here in Sandy’s Parish. It is just east of Somerset. It offers some beautiful panoramas of very picturesque scenery. I went over to Clocktower Mall, and the Phoenix General Store. I love that they “Proudly Serve Starbucks” at Phoenix at the Dockyard. I found out a few trips ago that the Airport in Bermuda doesn’t sell Starbucks (oh the nerve!)

I was able to get a WiFi hook up from TBI here at the Dockyard. The cost is only $15. For 3 days of unlimited WiFi. . .That, my friends is a bargain. . . The speed is very good as well. I am able to connect right here on Explorer of the Seas. . .

The Love and Marriage game show is tonight and there will be a Tropical deck party up on Deck 11 at 11:15 . . . I am not sure if Radio can stay up that long. I did watch the news for about 90 min after I got back to the Ship today. . .Hmmm?

Radio . . . “What did you do on your Cruise to Bermuda?” Hmmm, relaxed, watched the news, enjoyed some delicious coffee, and posted on CC. That sounds like the Perfect vacation !

Here are a few pics from my day ashore in Bermuda. I will have a busy day tomorrow !

Thanks for the nice comments, and thanks for tuning in . . .

Radio

Welcome to Bermuda. All passengers must be on board by 4:30 on Thursday.

C31.JPG

Clocktower Mall

C32A.JPG

Phoenix Pharmacy/General Store

C37.JPG

They “Proudly Serve” Starbucks at Phoenix Pharmacy. . .Yum Yum!

C38.JPG

I had a delicious lunch at the Frog and Onion Pub

C40.JPG

The line of Palm trees takes you right to Snorkel Park and the Maritime Museum

C39.JPG

Thank you so much. Hubby is staying off the expressway. Just seems easier South Ave->Forrest Ave->440.

Planning on a great cruise!!!

I am literally down the road from the Hampton Inn. Have him take South Ave to Forest, make a right and stay on Forest about a mile. After going under the overpass. take a left onto 440 North, This leads right into 440 in Bayonne, 5 more minutes and the port is on his right.

Most of the traffic should have lightened up by 9:30 am, it takes me about 15 minutes from my home to get to this point, but I leave at 5:30 am. I would have him allow about 1/2 hour, just in case.

It could get a little busy on Forest, especially closer to Richmond Ave. PS 22 ( famous for the Chorus that sang at the Oscars and for the President) is close to the intersection, sometimes it gets a little busy.

Any more questions, feel free.

Carol

Here are a few more pics. Many more pics tomorrow.

Radio

The beaches in Bermuda are like a picture postcard.

C34.JPG

Somerset Long Bay Beach is just a short scooter ride from the Dockyard

C35.JPG

I can see the ship off in the distance.

C47.JPG

Ahh . . . home for a few more nights.

C41.JPG

The scooter parking area will be filled very soon.

C43.JPG

I make it back to the ship in time for dinner

C44.JPG

What is TBI at dockyard for Internet access?

WiFiZONE powered by TBi

Towards the end of 2011, the WiFiZONE network was launched, turning Dockyard into one big Hot Spot. The WiFiZONE allows public access to the internet from any WIFI enabled device - securely and at blazing fast speeds! Rates start at US$3.00 for an hour and can be paid by credit card or prepaid coupon. Coupons can be purchased at the Visitor Information Center. Simply enable WIFI on your device and search for the WiFiZONE powered by TBi.

as copied from bermuda.com

TBi is telebermuda

Guess you will not be able to say hi to Mario, concierge for us...he is on his way home...

Karen[/quote

Is Mario on vacation? If so do you know for how long?

Been looking for the answer to that question, too! Mario is awesome - and previous to that we also enjoyed Carlos. Can't wait to see who will be concierge on EOS this June/July!

Archived